Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Hello, nothing's really changed. I'll get a picture from the Bay Concourse entrance on the lower level a little later.

View attachment 163823View attachment 163824

Looking West.

View attachment 163825

W/C in the Food Court.

View attachment 163826
Is the food court going to be a dead end like there will be no connection to like maple leaf square or the subway or anything? Like will the centre retail area open with the food court or is their hoarding covering where the entrance to that area will be?

Is the food court going to be a dead end like there will be no connection to like maple leaf square or the subway or anything? Like will the centre retail area open with the food court or is their hoarding covering where the entrance to that area will be?

No connection to Maple Leaf Square/Jurassic Park or whatever they call it...Yet. The centre area will eventually open up to be "Fresh Market" type of space.

Where will the elevator be that will take people down to the food court

The elevator is located from the York Street Promenade, so if you picture yourself coming from the TTC heading towards the York Concourse, you'll see 2 ramps leading to the Concourse, look towards the right side ramp and there is an alcove. It's in there.

The elevator is located from the York Street Promenade, so if you picture yourself coming from the TTC heading towards the York Concourse, you'll see 2 ramps leading to the Concourse, look towards the right side ramp and there is an alcove. It's in there.
Ok good I know it wouldn’t be one of the main concourse elevators used to take GO transit passengers up to track level

So what draws people down to the level with the food court in it, other than the food? I'm smelling a disaster in the making here.

As I said before, it will be like the RBC building (Front and Bay) food court. It will be closed after hours and a ghost down during nights and weekends.

I never understood why developers think that building a food court is a an instant win. Take Aura for example, the place is a ghost town at the best of times. Just because you have a food court does not mean people will go there especially if it is a pain in the ass doing so.

Subway commuters will arrive on the same level as the food court. Id expect that to generate some foot traffic. I would hope the food court would be open beyond typical office hours but then im not sure what the economic numbers look like

While the food court may not be that busy in the short term, I don't think you can compare Aura to Union Station. The context couldn't be more different.

AoD

I was attempting to compare it more to the RBC food court. It is busy during the day but so dead at night they have to seal it off.

Subway commuters will arrive on the same level as the food court. Id expect that to generate some foot traffic. I would hope the food court would be open beyond typical office hours but then im not sure what the economic numbers look like

I believe they pick-up sticks at 7 pm sharp with different hours for the weekend. It was discussed here in the past.

As I said before, it will be like the RBC building (Front and Bay) food court. It will be closed after hours and a ghost down during nights and weekends.

I never understood why developers think that building a food court is a an instant win. Take Aura for example, the place is a ghost town at the best of times. Just because you have a food court does not mean people will go there especially if it is a pain in the ass doing so.

Aura failed for several reasons, having a food court was not one.

The primary issue was that they opted for a retail condominium strategy, rather than conventional leasing, along with micro-sized retail units. They didn't include a single destination retailer in the basement either.

Natural light levels are very poor down there. The connection to College Park is awful. They also designed an entry way that feels more like a 'B' office tower lobby than retail entrance, and where the retail on other levels isn't visible from the entry way, never mind the street outside.

That was a boondoggle.

Union's Food Court will do just fine on weekends.

Open daily from 7am – 7 pm weekdays and 10am – 7pm weekends, the new Union Food Court will also offer other amenities and live programming including TV streaming for major events.

This about sums it up.. the food court will not be open past 7 pm. It is interesting to note that there is still plenty of traffic in the York Concourse at that time and that the Mcdonalds in the Bay Concouse was open much later than 7 PM on a regular basis.

Back