Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Does anyone know what the bay concourse looks like now?
A rough-finished space. You can see the ceiling metal framing and the stairs/escalators if you go to Union (rail) from Union (subway). I am not sure how much finishing needs to be done before the area is handed over to GO/Metrolinx (who will deal with the 'fitting out) but clearly more than now. GO were hoping to open it early in 2019 but the freeze on work by Bondfield is clearly having an effect. (It seems that at least some work by their subs is being funded by their insurers and I saw lots of Buttcon guys there this week - are they taking over????)

Do you think it’s possible the bay concourse will open before the Bay Street Promenade with its enterance in the great hall on the opposite side of where the York concourse entrance is?

Last edited:
They're petitioning the Mayor for parking along the pedestrian paths in Union...
In Japan, there are underground pedestrian shopping streets around train stations and underneath those around Tokyo station, another level down, there is an underground car park that has direct access to the city's expressways. See the video starting at 14:46:

Last edited:
In Tokyo, there are underground pedestrian streets around train stations and underneath those around Tokyo station, another level down, there is an underground car park that has direct access to the city's expressways. See the video starting at 14:46:
Fascinating, albeit frightening at the same time. I'll watch the whole vid later, have it bookmarked now.

My comment "They're petitioning the Mayor for parking along the pedestrian paths in Union" was sarcasm though for the King Street Transit Mall. I avoid underground malls like the plague, I get disoriented and claustrophobic. Even surface malls repel me.

Madrid has something similar.

Beneath Plaza del Oriente (the square in front of the Opera House/Palace) there is a massive underground parking and tourist bus terminal. This complex is directly linked to the city's underground ring road that eventually emerges somewhere in the desert and you're out of the city.

It was quite the experience to be beneath an ancient town square and then suddenly outside of the city on a major highway.

Madrid has the longest urban tunnel in Europe!

Images for madrid tunnel map
Madrid makes everyone's infrastructure look crappy - including Germany's.

The Spaniards truly took advantage of the EU's accession funds. Instead of blowing it on pensions and other non-value adding activities (such as what the Eastern Euro members did); Madrid overwhelmingly spent it on hard infrastructure.

Can’t really Right In Right Out if the in is on the left of the out, unless you have overlapping ramps.
If Keesmaat becomes Mayor, or Council make-up is very progressive and they adopt the staff/Waterfront Toronto recommended tear-down of the Gardiner east of Jarvis to a boulevard, this can all be addressed much better.

Fingers crossed!

If Keesmaat becomes Mayor, or Council make-up is very progressive and they adopt the staff/Waterfront Toronto recommended tear-down of the Gardiner east of Jarvis to a boulevard, this can all be addressed much better.

Fingers crossed!
Or tunnel the Gardiner and let the Bay St have extra bus only ramps to the terminal. :D

Back