Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I see your point but one could also argue that the concrete along the building face "frames" the sidewalk. Where this frame is narrow it actually looks fine to me.

There is a point to this framing notion - except that under such a scheme, the frame should not be varying in width as it does now.

P23:

No trees on the "island", only at the sidewalk immediately in front of the Royal York.

AoD

I agree that the variable band around the base of the hotel establishes the property line - it also forms a visual "foundation" for the building.
It could also be that there are underground "areaways" under that "border" and the band of concrete forms a roof and is not just aesthetic.

I noticed today that the construction 'screening" is being removed from the centre block of Union Station today. It is looking nice and clean. The west wing was done about a year ago and I assume they will now move to the east wing - which does not look to be in terrible condition.

Pillars!

3rnqLPC.jpg

Are we talking about the same thing? The VIA concourse is the great hall upstairs and the GO Concourse is the place with the Cinnimonbun.

No, it's not. The Great Hall is the Great Hall. The Via concourse is the space immediately south of the Great Hall under the train shed that is half-a-floor lower and connected to the Great Hall by a downward-sloping bridge/ramp.

Are we talking about the same thing? The VIA concourse is the great hall upstairs and the GO Concourse is the place with the Cinnimonbun.

from the Great Hall..take the ramp down to the VIA departures area and you will find a lot of GO trains board from there.

And it is Cinnabon that provides that great smell in the GO concourse ;)

Last edited:
And it is Cinnabon that provides that great smell in the GO concourse ;)
Tip to Union/Metrolinx: Please keep Cinnabon somewhere (lower-level mall?) and please put a BeaverTails in the underground mall level in the OTHER concourse. We can make both brand new concourses smell good. :p

It closed a few months ago, but there used to be one at Sheppard station in the main concourse. I could almost smell it from the platform.

Tip to Union/Metrolinx: Please keep Cinnabon somewhere (lower-level mall?) and please put a BeaverTails in the underground mall level in the OTHER concourse. We can make both brand new concourses smell good. :p

If they could make crack or other drugs smell like cinnabon I might give up my resistance to trying them.....it would be futile to try and resist.

Back