Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

As one might expect, I have heard nothing from the Communications Department so have now sent the whole email thread to the Mayor and the City Manager. If I get more than a 'thank you for your insightful comments' email I will, of course, report back.

Well, I was quite confident that this would be the result, and I was yet again not disappointed by that predictable outcome.

AoD

Reactions: DSC
Well, I was quite confident that this would be the result, and I was yet again not disappointed by that predictable outcome.

AoD
1697817201367.png

My response was: "It is bureaucratic nonsense that senior project managers cannot respond to requests from citizens for basic factual information without having the responses ‘massaged’ by communications staff. It certainly is not the transparency promised by Mayor Chow and goes a long way to explain the disfunction in the City.

I await a response for someone to my simple question “When will the ceiling in the Front Street promenade at Union Station be completed and painted?”
I have now received a response from the Senior Project Manager who seemed to have been forbidden from giving out factual information without it being 'massaged' by a Communications Team"! Maybe he has been un-muzzled?

"We are currently awaiting the second contractor's estimate, as the first one did not meet required qualifications. According to the latest information, we expect to receive the pricing by the end of this week. If the estimate is reasonable, we will proceed to sign a contract, and the contractor will determine their mobilization timeline.

It's important to note that the ceiling contains hazardous materials that must be abated before repairs and painting can commence. The repair includes partial restoration of heritage mouldings, which requires a qualified contractor. The project will be carried out in small sections to accommodate the busy station commuters' traffic and nearby retailers. This phased approach may extend the overall timeline (perhaps 2 months), especially as certain phases, such as abatement and existing paint stripping, require time breaks in between.

For any additional inquiries or detailed information, please reach out to the Communication division. Regrettably, I won't be able to engage in further discussions within the public domain."

I have now received a response from the Senior Project Manager who seemed to have been forbidden from giving out factual information without it being 'massaged' by a Communications Team"! Maybe he has been un-muzzled?

"We are currently awaiting the second contractor's estimate, as the first one did not meet required qualifications. According to the latest information, we expect to receive the pricing by the end of this week. If the estimate is reasonable, we will proceed to sign a contract, and the contractor will determine their mobilization timeline.

It's important to note that the ceiling contains hazardous materials that must be abated before repairs and painting can commence. The repair includes partial restoration of heritage mouldings, which requires a qualified contractor. The project will be carried out in small sections to accommodate the busy station commuters' traffic and nearby retailers. This phased approach may extend the overall timeline (perhaps 2 months), especially as certain phases, such as abatement and existing paint stripping, require time breaks in between.

For any additional inquiries or detailed information, please reach out to the Communication division. Regrettably, I won't be able to engage in further discussions within the public domain."

Thanks for your efforts @DSC

I would note however, your optimism in your opening line seems to be contradicted by the closing line in the statement you received; unfortunately.

I would like to note that on the subject of abatement that work was previously done on this section of ceiling; it makes no sense to me that it wasn't abated at that time.

Last edited:
To top it off, Interac was giving away free coffee today, right out front of %.

I went looking for the Haribo popup (it's in the Front St walkway near Pilot) but it was "closed for private event". I need to get an invite to a private event at Haribo.

There is also a nice new Kibo food shop and a pretzel place coming soon.

Back