Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Last report said by end of 2020. Of course, other things like City work on Great Hall floor and lights and Metrolinx new south excavations will continue.

In order of import:

1) Open the Bay concourse
2) Open the new south entrance to the concourse
3) Finish painting the concourse ceiling! For $125 an hour I will do it my damned self. There won't be a spot out of place and it will be done in 4 days (proper edging takes time!) (though someone needs to get me a drivable skyjack as I'm not going up/down a ladder that many times!)
4) I want my chandelier in the Great Hall!
5) All remaining concourse retail
6) Great Hall retail and East wing
7) Pretty please, can we revisit the lighting in the VIA section.
8) Everything else.

Can we possibly get the first 4 done by year's end?

Didnt they say they will finish all construction by September 2020?

And now with the pandemic and less crowds at Union should have allowed them to finish work faster.

These guys are so slow.

I still remember in 2015 being given flyers by Metrolinks that Bay Concourse will reopen in 2017. Ha!

They used the "working within the busiest transit hub in Canada" line for years to explain the slow progress, and now that it's empty.. guess what, the Bay Concourse still looks nowhere close to being finished. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I've lived next to this project for five years now and there has not been much of a difference since the Bondfail days.

They used the "working within the busiest transit hub in Canada" line for years to explain the slow progress, and now that it's empty.. guess what, the Bay Concourse still looks nowhere close to being finished. I'd be happy to be wrong, but I've lived next to this project for five years now and there has not been much of a difference since the Bondfail days.
Though it is certainly not 'finished', the Bay Concourse actually looks almost finished to me. You can see a lot of it from the escalators from the Head House and from the passageway at the ScotiaBank Arena end. The stairs leading to Bay look to be about done and they are working away on the granite floors of the Bay moat area. That said, it HAS been slow and when it is 'finished' it will be turned over to Metrolinx so they can set up their stuff. (It will be interesting to see if they postpone moving much there - except platform entrances - as their ridership is certainly much reduced and York is never crowded these days.

Though it is certainly not 'finished', the Bay Concourse actually looks almost finished to me. You can see a lot of it from the escalators from the Head House and from the passageway at the ScotiaBank Arena end. The stairs leading to Bay look to be about done and they are working away on the granite floors of the Bay moat area. That said, it HAS been slow and when it is 'finished' it will be turned over to Metrolinx so they can set up their stuff. (It will be interesting to see if they postpone moving much there - except platform entrances - as their ridership is certainly much reduced and York is never crowded these days.

Just in time for new changes like merging some of the platforms and all the structural changes that will entail - all because of the powers that be can't act strategically to a vision that is well-articulated and decided upon. It's basically bumbling through.

AoD

Although not quite Union, the GO Bus terminal looks very complete, definitely way more ready than Bay concourse. Posted this in the CIBC Square thread
6623DC40-BFCE-4B53-A547-45F01D85339A.jpeg
5F937675-1B85-4278-85A4-F3143E46F3CE.jpeg

This is a dumb question whose answer is probably readily available, but the new bus terminal connects underground with the station proper, riiiight?

I don't think so - I think you have to use the skybridge from ACC to CIBC to get there (or later on the bridge directly from Union Station to CIBC 2)

AoD

I don't think so - I think you have to use the skybridge from ACC to CIBC to get there (or later on the bridge directly from Union Station to CIBC 2)

AoD
I think they might open the bus terminal before the winter without connections, and once CIBC lobby is done they’ll have a path through the Bay concourse before the winter. The bus terminal looks more ready than the bridge or the CIBC lobby.

Yep - there is no underground connection.

AoD
I am unclear on what will be happening with the basement area of the CIBC building adjacent to Bay Street that was assigned to the TTC as part of the 'negotiations". This was (is) to be used for the expansion of the streetcar tunnel. and, I think, that there were plans for this to also allow an underground pedestrian link to the (expanded) Union Station streetcar loop and then the subway but this is clearly not going to be available for several years (if ever!).

Back