Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score

ProjectEnd

Member Bio
Reaction score
It's disappointing that in the most prominent part of the station, walked through by millions a year, shown in every photograph, they had an opportunity for some striking architecture, but they went for this off the shelf Canadian Tire Gazebo*
*Some assembly required.

Frank Gehry's DZ Bank for context:

Pics: Arch Daily
How is a showy, private, bank building a relevant precedent? Even if you're going to use Berlin (a hilarious comparison), why not show the HBF?

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
How is a showy, private, bank building a relevant precedent? Even if you're going to use Berlin (a hilarious comparison), why not show the HBF?
Berlin HBF? Impressive in scale but architecturally lumpy.
In any case, not wanting it to upstage the headhouse isn't to say the glass atria couldn't have been executed a bit more delicately - it is heavy-handed as built.

AoD

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Berlin HBF? Impressive in scale but architecturally lumpy.
In any case, not wanting it to upstage the headhouse isn't to say the glass atria couldn't have been executed a bit more delicately - it is heavy-handed as built.

AoD
Berlin Hbf is one of the most impressive buildings let alone train stations I've spent time in, and I'd give anything to have that utopian cyberpunk architecture here: it's a total buzz!

AlvinofDiaspar

Member Bio
Reaction score
Lumpy? Gonna have to stridently disagree there @AlvinofDiaspar...

It's huge, sure, but filled with very fine detail that we just wouldn't do here. I mean, there ain't nothing 'lumpy' about this:

We wouldn't even get that detail in a bank building here...
Detail it is - but it doesn't fit my personal aesthetic - it look overwrought, fuzzy.

AoD

Northern Light

Member Bio
Reaction score
Berlin Hbf is one of the most impressive buildings let alone train stations I've spent time in, and I'd give anything to have that utopian cyberpunk architecture here: it's a total buzz!

You get points for the first reference I've ever seen to 'Utopian Cyberpunk' as an architectural style.

Reactions: DSC

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
To bring it back to that piece of public art....
https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/07/public-art-will-interact-passersby-union-station

If you actually read the article, its a bit outdated (for being posted in 2013, to be fair)

" The artwork will be installed in the last half of 2014. It has the potential to be seen by the 250,000 passengers and visitors ....."
It was not installed earlier because the Carriageway was not finished (and I think the artists were slow too). It's coming.....