Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Sorry couldn't take a better pic due to auto focus, but you get the idea

View attachment 233294

The CoT are temporarily housing their offices behind the hoarding.

As for the refusal for Tim's...there are some modifications that are not permitted in the new space. It states "Great Hall" because the initial application was not updated just state "Bay Concourse" Union Station. That's all I can comment for the time being.

@union2pearson , The Tim Hortons building application has now been updated with the words "Great Hall" (and has been refused yesterday).
Can you comment as to where exactly this is?

View attachment 233162

Update: Tim's will be in the Concourse. Nothing has changed. Application requires some more information before work can continue.

Some time ago - before the incident at Union Station - GO started removing escalators under the pretext that they were maintenance headaches and doing so would save on costs in the long run - and so that the space was better utilized as additional stairwells.

I don't know how long the current ongoing shortage of certified lifting devices people has been, but if it has been going on for 20 years and longer, it may certainly have weighed in on GO's decision.

Dan
Forgive my ignorance, but what was this "incident at Union Station" that folks keep referring to?

Forgive my ignorance, but what was this "incident at Union Station" that folks keep referring to?

See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/escalator-mishap-injures-people-at-toronto-train-station-1.594778

In 2006 an incident occurred when an escalator suddenly malfunctioned and sped up during rush hour. A train was letting out on Tracks 2 and 3a when the escalator sped up and caused everyone on it to come crashing down. 7 people had cuts and bruises and 1 person had a spinal injury.

That incident led to the removal of escalators on the GO transit system. They realized at the time that high volume stations are not suitable for escalators and the legal liability likely forced them to remove them to avoid being negligent.

Compensation for a serious spinal injury can go into the millions, though it depends on a variety of factors such as the level of care they'll need in the future and whether they'll be able to work again. If they don't address the issue and more people get injured in the same way, it can also expose them to the risk of having to pay punitive damages.

Leather shop bypass area?

1582851801570.png

See here: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/escalator-mishap-injures-people-at-toronto-train-station-1.594778

That incident led to the removal of escalators on the GO transit system. They realized at the time that high volume stations are not suitable for escalators and the legal liability likely forced them to remove them to avoid being negligent.
That's just foolish. Berlin Hauptbahnhof is twice as busy as Union and they have escalators. Friedrichstrasse is also busier and is fully escalatored. Ditto Zoo, Ostbahnhof, Gesundbrunnen.. I doubt there's a train station in Germany that doesn't have escalators.

Compensation for a serious spinal injury can go into the millions, though it depends on a variety of factors such as the level of care they'll need in the future and whether they'll be able to work again. If they don't address the issue and more people get injured in the same way, it can also expose them to the risk of having to pay punitive damages.

I can’t imagine Metrolinx doesn’t have insurance for injuries on their property, including various disaster scenarios. To not put an escalator in for the minimal risk is just poor planning. If some stations around the world can have 3-4 stage escalators that are significantly longer with significantly more traffic, there’s no excuse for Metrolinx.

In 2006 an incident occurred when an escalator suddenly malfunctioned and sped up during rush hour. A train was letting out on Tracks 2 and 3a when the escalator sped up and caused everyone on it to come crashing down. 7 people had cuts and bruises and 1 person had a spinal injury.

How is this statement true when one can go over to Europe where there are many train stations which are as busy or even busier than Union which have escalators to the platform. Examples include Amsterdam Centraal and Bijlmer Station.

Once again.....

No, it didn't. Maybe it hastened the removal of the last few, but quite a few stations had already lost their escalators by 2005 - a year before the incident.

Dan

Reactions: DSC
In other news...from the Globe:

At this point can we depend on any of Big 4 accounting firms to actually do their job properly?

AoD

I don't to go off topic but what's with that CBC article missing a bunch of spaces between words?

Probably because that article is from 2006 and the website design changed in the meantime. I would assume issues with automatically migrating pages from a 4:3 to 16:9 layout. To avoid this ,they could display old pages in the old design, like the BBC does.

I can’t imagine Metrolinx doesn’t have insurance for injuries on their property, including various disaster scenarios. To not put an escalator in for the minimal risk is just poor planning. If some stations around the world can have 3-4 stage escalators that are significantly longer with significantly more traffic, there’s no excuse for Metrolinx.

In fairness, insurance rates can spike after incidents like the escalator incident at Union if there were large claims involved. Also, if a lot of people get hurt in the same incident, the damages could exceed the policy limits. I can see why it would be a concern. I'm not sure if liability is truly the reason for the lack of escalators if they exist in similar environments in many other places, though.

Back