Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Did you get any update on the timeline for the moat/carriageway?
Sorry, they were not specific about any of the interim openings before it'll all be "done" in Q3 2020.
or why it's even called a "carriageway", for that matter?
When it was designed sometime back in the Dark Ages, it was meant as a spot for carriages to pull up… or cars at least. Carriage sounds more chi-chi.

From April 18. I assume nothing has changed since then but the building is looking nicer.

91AD07C7-59DB-403A-8014-48100473EF27.jpeg

7F65EFCE-CD9F-4BBF-98CA-26A8472DC42A.jpeg

92EAF398-11A1-4B6E-BBC2-04BB95CBC8A6.jpeg

We were there, and our story (with lots of pics) is now up on the front page. Have fun!

Bonus shots not included in the story:
East of the west moat:
IMG_5918.JPG

Busy food court we all know about by now
IMG_5922.JPG

Future "Fresh Market" area
IMG_5933.JPG
IMG_5956.JPG

Bay lower retail area
IMG_5969.JPG

Bay Concourse
IMG_6002.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG

Wouldn't it have made sense to redo these stairs so to remove the 180 switchback? Mirroring what was done in the York concourse? I imagine this could impede passenger flows up/down the stairs.
York Concourse has similar stairs with 180 switchbacks. How would you redo the stairs and not taking up more square footage?

Reactions: DSC
Wouldn't it have made sense to redo these stairs so to remove the 180 switchback? Mirroring what was done in the York concourse? I imagine this could impede passenger flows up/down the stairs.

It would make more sense to figure out exactly what one wanted to do at track and platform level before doing the concourse, but this being Ontario - passenger flow is the last thing in their minds.

AoD

It would make more sense to figure out exactly what one wanted to do at track and platform level before doing the concourse, but this being Ontario - passenger flow is the last thing in their minds.

AoD
They sure as hell didn't consult persons from other jurisdictions on the best way to address high inertia passenger crush loads. For anyone who's seen how other cities and nations redo stair access, this rings every alarm bell.
How would you redo the stairs and not taking up more square footage?
You take all the space you need to make them safe and efficient...Just like the stairs that used to be there in the York Concourse. Could the layout have been improved? Perhaps, but they weren't the frantic rat warrens the present trip hazards are.

Last edited:
So according to this, the final completion is expected for September 2020 or 6.5 years late.

But I doubt the restaurants and shops will be ready. It took nearly four years after York Concourse opened that the Food Court opened. So Maybe by late 2022 it will be done.

Also, the overhead walkways connecting CIBC Square II wont be done till 2024.

The city would be better giving this work it to a general contractor that can actually finishes projects on-time...... Carillion really had no track record and well Bondfield we know there situation.

Back