Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

This picture sums it up best. You would get a ticket from the wicket behind the Skyjack and when called you would walk out the doors to the moat to your taxi. According to Derek Boles on his tours many years ago it is uncertain if the moat was ever used for this purpose. Much like today it was easier to get a cab on Front Street.

20180423_061840.jpg

Attachments

• 20180423_061840.jpg
    20180423_061840.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 297
^well, today (and by today I assume you mean the last 20 years or so) it is easier to get a cab on Front Street cause there are no cabs in the moat. I recall years ago there being a car rental facility at the York Street end of the moat but other than that I don't recall seeing any vehicles down there at all.....never saw a cab down there in the 30+ years I have been using the station.

There hasn't been vehicular access to the moat since GO built its original concourse and connected it with the subway, I thought? The rental car place used to operate off of York street, but cars couldn't actually drive around to the Front street moat?

There hasn't been vehicular access to the moat since GO built its original concourse and connected it with the subway, I thought? The rental car place used to operate off of York street, but cars couldn't actually drive around to the Front street moat?
Correct, all this talk of 'moat taxis' was about how the station was designed to work NOT how it operated many decades later.

A few updates:
1. The east masonry wall of the west moat is finally complete. They should be able to complete the framing+glazing of the west moat now.
2. Forno Cultura is open. most of their product is cookies, good luck to them.
3. Via (central) concourse - they were polishing the last section of the terrazzo floors. Should be done today.

A few updates:
1. The east masonry wall of the west moat is finally complete. They should be able to complete the framing+glazing of the west moat now.
2. Forno Cultura is open. most of their product is cookies, good luck to them.
3. Via (central) concourse - they were polishing the last section of the terrazzo floors. Should be done today.

Anyone know when the Great Hall will be worked on? I don't mean the ceiling and walls I mean the floor, the ticket booths , staircases and the info booth. They worked on the area near the East Wing but then they stopped.

Fourno Cultura is about to open in the Front Street Promenade just east of the exit ramp. Folks who looked like cooks inside and I am pretty sure I saw food displays.
UPDATE: It opened today.
On a side note, they are using a crane to remove several large I beams from the Bay Moat today, through the un-glazed part of the roof. Seems odd they did not just drag them up the stairs but ....

UPDATE: It opened today.
On a side note, they are using a crane to remove several large I beams from the Bay Moat today, through the un-glazed part of the roof. Seems odd they did not just drag them up the stairs but ....

Probably too damaging. Consider the fact that they weigh an insane amount and would damage the stairs being dragged out.

had a feeling the age of "carriages" pre-dated the station. which leads me to ask, given the outcome of our discussion: why on earth are they naming any part (regardless of where it is) a "carriage way" (???)

Unless they're referring to the word "carriage" in terms of carrying (in this case, carrying of people. by taxi.). Would make sense I guess if it's a nod to the original intended taxi-use. I feel like that is stretching things a bit though.

Last edited:
had a feeling the age of "carriages" pre-dated the station. which leads me to ask, given the outcome of our discussion: why on earth are they naming any part (regardless of where it is) a "carriage way" (???)

More to the point. If I find a gilded carriage akin to the styles of Liberace could I ride it through the Carriage way?

Live next to the scene in North York, was so awful to experience first hand, heard they installed barriers at Union? Only makes me wonder if we will start seeing more barriers and bollards popping up akin to NYC etc.

I hope and trust not.

They are of little use.

I won't nilhistically or helpfully to ill-intended describe the many ways one could put a mass population at risk.

I will, however, say that there are too many ways to cause harm and that stopping up all of those is somewhere between impractical and impossible and would involve
a hideous level of repression, along w/ill spent dollars.

The wise investments here focus on preventing someone going down such a path in their life, not in 'hardening' every conceivable target.

They put Jersey barriers at Union. Which may be of questionable use because they aren't anchored unlike bollards.

Back