Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

If the rumour'd information in this thread is true, and both Front Street moats will be sealed and heated, then it wouldn't be necessary to have doors from Union Station to the moat nor from TTC to the moat. Though, it wouldn't hurt have have them in case of emergency (fire).

Like many doors in the PATH I hope they will be on electro-magnetic openers (which automatically close if they lose power or the fire alarm sounds)

Even if it is not sealed they can still heat/cool the area. By having a significant downdraft at the entrance location this air movement can effectively act as a virtual door and you can heat/cool the area inside it.

If anything they will be there for access control reasons. If there is an another hostage taking for example you don't want people wandering out there trying to be a hero.
There's no department at the City that considers crowd control during hostage-taking incidents as pertaining to building design, but there is one that checks for fire doors.

There's no department at the City that considers crowd control during hostage-taking incidents as pertaining to building design, but there is one that checks for fire doors.
The lowly fire door, often aesthetically forgotten by architects, vary the gamut to the occasionally impossible-to-open older TTC entrances, the gentle electronic holdopens at Bay West Teamway, the ugly Aura-CollegePark PATH entrance doors without windows, the full-glass doors of Toronto condo cookiecutterness, to the beautiful French style doors.

Worship the almighty fire door. Just hope it's a fire door worthy of Toronto Union Station utility, traffic & aesthetics.

The lowly fire door, often aesthetically forgotten by architects, vary the gamut to the occasionally impossible-to-open older TTC entrances, the gentle electronic holdopens at Bay West Teamway, the ugly Aura-CollegePark PATH entrance doors without windows, the full-glass doors of Toronto condo cookiecutterness, to the beautiful French style doors.

Worship the almighty fire door. Just hope it's a fire door worthy of Toronto Union Station utility, traffic & aesthetics.
I think you will be happy, if the currently hidden doors west of the Tims are similar to those you can see between the security office and the Danish Pastry. These are the old, original, doors leading to the Moat. Lets hope they all open soon and we can judge them!

The cables are super distracting. Otherwise, lookin' good.
unnamed (1).jpg

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 316
The cables are super distracting. Otherwise, lookin' good.

I actually didn't mind the tension cables at all - and besides it was expected. I am actually glad they went with a clean, almost Hi-Tech look with them (instead of some frilly designs suggested in even older renderings).

AoD

I actually didn't mind the tension cables at all - and besides it was expected. I am actually glad they went with a clean, almost Hi-Tech look with them (instead of some frilly designs suggested in even older renderings).

AoD
Agreed, if one finds the cables 'super distracting' it must be hard to avoid distractions everywhere!

Agreed, if one finds the cables 'super distracting' it must be hard to avoid distractions everywhere!
It's okay to have differing opinions, and expected, so no need to be passive aggressive. The cables are distracting, creating a visual flat ceiling. Instead of a clean geometric vault, the eye has to look through a series of lines.

Fourno Cultura is about to open in the Front Street Promenade just east of the exit ramp. Folks who looked like cooks inside and I am pretty sure I saw food displays.

Is the ramp in the Front Street Promenade going to be removed? I ask this because it might be needed to in order to have a central Front Street Moat and a connection to it. However, this would remove the direct connection from Front Street to the Via Arrivals. Also, is what's currently in place considered the TD Carriageway?

Is the ramp in the Front Street Promenade going to be removed? I ask this because it might be needed to in order to have a central Front Street Moat and a connection to it. However, this would remove the direct connection from Front Street to the Via Arrivals. Also, is what's currently in place considered the TD Carriageway?
It is staying.

Isn't the moat considered the carriageway? i.e. it's a place where carriages pulled in back in the day?

The original purpose of the moat was for taxis. It was designed as a place where you could prepay for a taxi, walk out and meet your taxi when called.

The original ticket wicket still exists just west of the VIA arrivals concourse.

Back