Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Mostly south of the tracks. Telus, PwC, etc. They will have 1 or 2 restaurants but nothing substantial.

Above-grade is expensive real estate. If you look at King & Bay area there's these huge podiums from the 80's which are above the concourse level (food courts), utility rooms and parking garages.
makes sense.....the path is not underground in any of those so the food and retailers are really just sharing ground floor lobby space with users/tenants....so limited space.....but all the new buildings north of there (in the traditional city core) are no different than their path predecessors.

It IS connected to PATH - though like everything else about it, the connection is poorly done!
You're right. Is the connection at the College Park door?

original.jpg

What is needs to be is a thoroughfare, not a dead end. Whatever is across the street at Gerrard should also be connected to the Path, though I suppose this would itself be a dead end.

YES, through doors and, as far as I remember up/down stairs.
And 3 layers of opaque claustrophobic doors.
And cramped spaces out of view.
And turns arounds 2 corners.
AND poor lighting.

It's a place you can easily get mugged in if you were walking alone at night.

Textbook case of "How NOT to make a pedestrian throughfare connection".

That 25 meter section of soviet, design-by-committee, minimal "meet-the-fire-code", put-elevator-randomly-there, snake-the-hallway-to-fit-a-business-directive, corner-cutting, cheap kitchen-flooring, blank-offwhite-walls, blank-opaque-doors, use minimal-allowable lumens of light, type of construction. The worst 25 meter walk between two buildings anywhere in PATH. I don't normally feel this way, but it feels lonely/spooky when walking this connection during late evening.

Congratulations on winning the "Not PATH" PATH trophy.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
Went to Union today on my way up to Barrie for the holidays. Union CHICKEN and Amano were quite steady for 3pm and the Danish Bakery sold over half of their products. Had an apple turnover type pastry, was quite good. And instead of looking at the departure tv for a half Hour, I picked up a quick pint at Union CHICKEN.

Quite happy with what' there and everyone was quite diverse from tourists, construction workers and fifty somethings wanting a quick glass of wine before the train.

This is going to be very successful.

They're open? Dammit, I don't go through there for a week or two and miss everything I've been anticipating.

Honestly can't think of one new office building that is connected to the path but does not have any food court....which ones are they?
Office building food courts have fewer chairs than office chairs in cubicles in the tower above. Often short by an prder of magnitude!

Still plenty of induced food-court demand failovers to adjacent food courts like Union.

Aura is not near many tall office towers, but Union definitely is!

Mostly south of the tracks. Telus, PwC, etc. They will have 1 or 2 restaurants but nothing substantial.

Above-grade is expensive real estate. If you look at King & Bay area there's these huge podiums from the 80's which are above the concourse level (food courts), utility rooms and parking garages.

makes sense.....the path is not underground in any of those so the food and retailers are really just sharing ground floor lobby space with users/tenants....so limited space.....but all the new buildings north of there (in the traditional city core) are no different than their path predecessors.

Overall, not true.

Telus House does have fewer options, but then its employees have access to the company's own cafeteria. At ground level though, the building has the high-end Aria along with the fast food Sushi Shop, Booster Juice, Fit for Life, and Starbucks. Telus is a short walk through PATH doors to Union, so they'll have tons of options to access there. They can also cross York Street on the PATH bridge and end up at PwC and the Bremner Tower where there's a full food court wth eight options on the APTH level plus a Taverna Mercatto and IQ Food Co. at ground level.

South of the Gardiner, Waterpark Place has an expansive food court on the aboveground PATH level, while the SunLife/Harbour Plaza complex is getting a food hall soon.

Meanwhile, the Bay Adelaide Centre had a food court. Now it just has a few scattered food outlets in parts of its PATH that won't be affected by the Bay Adelaide North build, so minus one food court here for the time being, anyway. That is pretty much across the street from where the huge Craft beer hall and eatery opened recently though…

The glazing on the east moat is done (or, at least, it's done where they'd previously gotten the frame up). So now I'd assume they shift the pedestrian pathway to be under the covered part while they finish up the ends?

The glazing on the east moat is done (or, at least, it's done where they'd previously gotten the frame up). So now I'd assume they shift the pedestrian pathway to be under the covered part while they finish up the ends?

I doubt that’s going to happen . The flooring, even temporary, still isn’t complete under there, construction materials and machines are all over. Maybe by February, fingers crossed, and happy to be proved wrong if it happens before that.

I’m actually watching for when they finish the stairs west from the Bay retail to the Carriageway behind the east stairs to the Great Hall. Rebar is in now.

Back