Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

I really like it actually since the area is almost never in shade. It is pleasantly sunny for almost the entire day.
If only the reflections always were aimed at shade.

Mid-summer reflections during 30C+ hot mornings during a heat wave at Bay and Front is quite evil.

It literally feels like 50-60C if you walk through one of the more focussed/overlapping 'hot spots', getting several times the usual sun. Skyscraper-focussed hotspots have sometimes been dangerous, you actually think twice about steering your baby stroller through one of the brighter hotspots, while waiting to cross Front.

Last edited:
any idea when that map came out? just the other day I noticed the porter shuttle had returned to its original place on the York Street side of Royal York.....yet on this map it is shown south of front street.

any idea when that map came out? just the other day I noticed the porter shuttle had returned to its original place on the York Street side of Royal York.....yet on this map it is shown south of front street.
That map is effective yesterday (Dec 19) as that is when the latest platform changes took place.
Also noticed they labelled the lower level as "Level 2" and the ground level as "Level 1", which is somewhat counter-intuitive.

It moved back recently but I am not sure it is staying at Royal York west doors as the City are about to widen the sidewalks on York Street (and have done so in an interim way from Wellington to just north of Royal York.) Nothing stays in one place for long at Union so maps are always going to playing catch-up.

I noticed just before the snow that the excavated moat area on the Bay side is getting prepared to pour the (final?) concrete and the same area on the York side has the huge new drainage pipes all installed and also looking almost ready to get the (final?) layer of concrete. I assume both will be done when the weather warms up....

I noticed it on Friday. The retailers already had come along and pasted stickers for their locations onto it, cluttering it up.

I noticed just before the snow that the excavated moat area on the Bay side is getting prepared to pour the (final?) concrete and the same area on the York side has the huge new drainage pipes all installed and also looking almost ready to get the (final?) layer of concrete. I assume both will be done when the weather warms up....

Speaking of which have they closed the route through the former Bay Concourse? Have not been through Union in a couple weeks but this map only shows the entrance via the leather shop bypass and at the York Concourse. I would not be surprised but am curious.

Also does anyone know the status of the lower level York Concourse?

Speaking of which have they closed the route through the former Bay Concourse? Have not been through Union in a couple weeks but this map only shows the entrance via the leather shop bypass and at the York Concourse. I would not be surprised but am curious.

Also does anyone know the status of the lower level York Concourse?
The Bay Concourse passage is still open with no sign of it being closed soon.

Sounds like an exciting milestone. Did you get any pics by chance? It would be nice to see before and after the pour.

Noticed along front street this morning outside Union a flatbed delivery truck with what looked like the glass panels for the Bay and York Street moats. Perhaps these panels are for another project, but it looked promising!

Noticed along front street this morning outside Union a flatbed delivery truck with what looked like the glass panels for the Bay and York Street moats. Perhaps these panels are for another project, but it looked promising!

I have doubts about that - the framing for the moat skylight isn't around to be seen - and there is hardly any work done on the attachment points on the side of the moat either.

AoD

As AofD says this is very unlikely. More likely is glass for the internal skylight on the east wing - you can (sometimes) see this by looking through the doors at east end of Great Hall). A few weeks ago Front Street was closed while they lifted the new beams for it into the courtyard area.

Sounds like an exciting milestone. Did you get any pics by chance? It would be nice to see before and after the pour.
Sorry, no. They had earlier put down the usual gravel and most recently what looked like a waterproof membrane. Frankly not terribly exciting! If anyone wants to photograph it I suspect no concrete will be poured on top of it or a few months.

Back