Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

From what I remember of the street work, this tunnel (near east end of the hotel) was opened up (from above) and then fixed so I THINK it is still there and I guess (theoretically) available. Whether the Royal York wants people coming directly to the hotel is another question. The tunnel was, presumably, to allow arriving rail passengers to get to hotel easily but I doubt many GO passengers stay at the hotel these days!
If I recall....the tunnel went to the retail level of the hotel....and I am pretty sure those tenants paying rent would be more than happy with a steady stream of people passing through.

This is true but the last time I was down there (a couple months ago) it was scarce in terms of offerings. The York Station pub was there and other miscellaneous overpriced stores selling things that can easily be bought cheaper elsewhere. I am not sure just how much any sort of foot traffic will help when you have things nobody wants.

Take the York Station Pub for example.. why go there when the Loose Moose, Jack Astors, Caseys, Real Sports, Boston Pizza etc are all within walking distance? As for souvineers and knicknacks who can honestly say they would pay a fortune for something that says Toronto on it at a hotel?

This is true but the last time I was down there (a couple months ago) it was scarce in terms of offerings. The York Station pub was there and other miscellaneous overpriced stores selling things that can easily be bought cheaper elsewhere. I am not sure just how much any sort of foot traffic will help when you have things nobody wants.

Take the York Station Pub for example.. why go there when the Loose Moose, Jack Astors, Caseys, Real Sports, Boston Pizza etc are all within walking distance? As for souvineers and knicknacks who can honestly say they would pay a fortune for something that says Toronto on it at a hotel?

Can't say I have been to the York station pub...but the fact that it is not a formulaic chain/corporate place would appeal to me. ;) Souvenirs in hotels must sell....otherwise pretty much every full service hotel in the world wouldn't have a place selling them ;)

Not sure if the state of the tunnel remains the same - but here is a description from Infiltration:

http://www.infiltration.org/journal-unionry.html

Can't believe it's been over a decade since Ninjalicious passed.

AoD

I had forgotten about that. Thank you for that Alvin.

I believe Ninjalicious ended up in the steam tunnels. The tunnel we are referring to goes from the arrivals concourse to the lower level of the Royal York.

I believe both steam tunnels and the Royal York Connection were both explored at some point. IIRC the Royal York tunnel was where the Cleaners and the Pizza place once stood

I believe both steam tunnels and the Royal York Connection were both explored at some point. IIRC the Royal York tunnel was where the Cleaners and the Pizza place once stood

The Royal York tunnel was a publicly accessible tunnel. It was where Hertz was to the left of the ramp out to Front Street.

While they're doing the restoration work in the Great Hall, can they update the chandelier/lighting? The current orange glow from one undersized light fixture is baaaad. It's so dark in there compared to other Union/Central stations.

While they're doing the restoration work in the Great Hall, can they update the chandelier/lighting? The current orange glow from one undersized light fixture is baaaad. It's so dark in there compared to other Union/Central stations.
A few pages back I posted a tender call for the fabrication of new chandeliers. It was subsequently cancelled but I think this is because they are still working on the Great Hall and do not want any new ones there until it's finished.

A few pages back I posted a tender call for the fabrication of new chandeliers. It was subsequently cancelled but I think this is because they are still working on the Great Hall and do not want any new ones there until it's finished.

I still say we need full stadium lighting. 640 bulbs at 1500 watts each. That should light up the Great Hall. It should equate to 21120000 lumens.

Last edited:
I still say we need full stadium lighting. 640 bulbs at 1500 watts each. That should light up the Great Hall. It should equate to 21120000 lumens.
Make them unshielded xenon-arc bulbs too. Get the whole place literally radiant with more radiation than a nuclear flash.

Oh, and make it 1.21 jigawatts....err....gigawatts. This will also make GO trains punctual at 88mph everywhere on all routes, too.

/s

Last edited:
Man, Union is confusing.
Almost all, if not all diagrams we see are two-dimensional. To really get an idea of the grades for a given structure, it needs to be in 'exploded-view' form. With complete architectural drawings in digital form, I'm surprised that we're not seeing more computer generated exploded views.

Back