Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

Now I can see why nothing has opened. The fast food spaces while complete have not yet been outfitted for the stores that are going in. That could take awhile.

Does anybody have information on how many retail tenants have already signed with Osmington? I am specifically interested in trying to calculate what percentage of units *may* be occupied when the lower concourse finally opens. (So far all the confirmed tenants seem to have chosen retail units on the upper-concourse or promenade. As far as I know nothing is yet confirmed for lower-concourse retail. Is that correct?)

Interesting. While I must commend the City for their efforts... this is total garbage from a wayfinding perspective. They really need to stop showing the concourses and the great hall on the same floorplan. OH BUT WHERE IS THE PROMENADE?!?!

Standards would dictate that vertical access is clearly marked (ie. escalators, stairs, elevators) in a way that aligns over individual floorplans for each level. While I understand that Union has complicated grades, one simply has to walk from the York Concourse into the York Promenade to determine that unless you are already intimately familiar with the station the above does not make sense.

/rant

Comparing the rendering with the photos you can hardly tell the difference except for the fact it looks completely different. :). It looks like the same style as the completed concourse which isn't a bad thing except for the fact the food area was supposedly going to look different.

Thanks for the photos. I can't wait to see it opened.

Question. I'm trying to visualize wayfinding inside my mind.

If I am assuming correctly, some of the halls are views underneath the VIA concourse as well. Am I assuming correctly that some of the photos directly underneath the VIA concourse?

It's impressive that they kept the VIA concourse operating all the while, while building a fully functioning basement underneath.

Even seasoned commuters who are just expecting a Bay concourse, will be surprised when they see several times the amount of walking space tomorrow than currently today. I'm considering them as a stack of six (two layers for Bay, two layers for VIA, two layers for York) with only portions of two layers fully open today -- only VIA concourse top layer, and York concourse top layer.

Space-wise, that's roughly only two-sixths that are walkable today. Tnarduzzi's pix is a sneak preview of the sudden concourse/mall combined space increase we'll witness by the end of this decade.

Last edited:
That "mood lighting" looks inviting. They should use that for the concourse area. It looks more like a mall that way.

PS: When the stairs from the subway station are demolished, this is where the subway will be accessed?

I definitely agree with you in regard to the "mood lighting"! I made a comment about this earlier when the York Promenade was first opening. The ambiance is much more soothing and tranquil with the coffer-illumination switched off. It is just too bright and sterile otherwise! Unfortunately given the amount of traffic throughout the station and the timer duration I expect it is designed to remain on throughout the day, only dimming at night for energy savings rather than mood.

Can you expand on the bit about the subway station connection? I am not sure exactly your question; but I can offer that the TTC will be accessed via an at-grade connection that will be located on the new Lower Concourse level underneath the East Wing. If you look closely at the pictures I posted as "East Wing" you will see orange outlines painted below the windows. These are the future doors to the TTC. In several places they have already begun boring/cutting the openings! :)

Area under East Wing being prepped for new at-grade connection with TTC (looking north)
View attachment 75740

Achivement Unlocked: Member tnarduzzi reaches 200 Likes before 200 posts.

First in urbantoronto history. I think.
An obvious case of voter fraud. Probably the same responsible person(s) for the Under Gardiner naming competition fiasco.

Achivement Unlocked: Member tnarduzzi reaches 200 Likes before 200 posts.

First in urbantoronto history. I think.
Not to take anything away from @tnarduzzi and that great run of pics, but it's important to not forget others' contributions too even if they aren't as current, and both @skycandy and @UrbanOptic crunched that achievement first!

one simply has to walk from the York Concourse into the York Promenade to determine that unless you are already intimately familiar with the station the above does not make sense.
68395783_zpspvimznze.jpg

I'll show myself out.

Back