Toronto Union Station Revitalization | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | NORR

My only disappointment is... I thought the newly completed eastern GO train parking lot would replace those west of Union (not supplement)... freeing up the possibility of more significant (new) north/south connections over the rail corridor.

It makes sense for GO to have daytime 'parking spots" for trains in both sides of Union Station so that trains can be ready to roll (in both directions) at rush hour.

There will be a pedestrian/cycling bridge crossing the rail at about Portland (from Front to City Place) and I am really not sure that it makes sense to have a full road running north/south between Spadina and Bathurst. Would you want more cars going through the new residential district at City Place?

I just hope that when the rail yard work and the new bridge are finished the city will install a sidewalk on the south side of Front between Spadina and Bathurst.

I didn't say a "road" was needed... I said significant north/south connections which the long-promised little Portland bridge is not.

Though the dream of decking the corridor will never be realized, a substantial (welcoming) promenade between Spadina and Bathurst would do wonders for the perceived availability of the much-ballyhooed Cityplace Park now u/c and the waterfront itself.

It's simple human nature stuff... would people be more likely wander south (and north) if the connection was more substantial than a rope bridge? Of course.

Good Union Station Renovation pics!

Le Gique: Good link and good Union Station construction and track improvement pics from GO!

It is good to see that improving Union Station is finally coming to pass!

The only question I have is concerning access to the Air Canada Centre-have connecting passageways been built as I suspect they have been?

I have not been in Toronto Union since June 1998-that is why I ask.

- LI MIKE -

Le Gique: Good link and good Union Station construction and track improvement pics from GO!

It is good to see that improving Union Station is finally coming to pass!

The only question I have is concerning access to the Air Canada Centre-have connecting passageways been built as I suspect they have been?

I have not been in Toronto Union since June 1998-that is why I ask.

- LI MIKE -

They have (using the teamway) and there will be a new one opening soon - it runs more directly into Union Station from the new Telus Building.

They have (using the teamway) and there will be a new one opening soon - it runs more directly into Union Station from the new Telus Building.

Speaking of which, where is the entrance to this new teamway on the Union side?

I know for sure it connects at the extreme south end of that mini Ford dealership, and I think it might also end up connecting underneath the VIA concourse at some point in the future.

Very attractive hoarding to start off Union renos.

uniona.jpg

The blue lights are alright, but the colour is starting to become overused. Nonetheless, if that's white light from the top and blue light from the bottom, it could be dramatic.

The blue lights are alright, but the colour is starting to become overused. Nonetheless, if that's white light from the top and blue light from the bottom, it could be dramatic.

The City is in the middle of a Heritage Lighting Study in the St Lawrence area and are hoping to illuminate many of the historic buildings on Front Street from Union Station to the St Lawrence Market.

The City is in the middle of a Heritage Lighting Study in the St Lawrence area and are hoping to illuminate many of the historic buildings on Front Street from Union Station to the St Lawrence Market.

Thank god they're doing a study.

Back