Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

could they not add a go train stop on the barrie line? then dundas west would be served by two go lines a subway line and possibly a future DRL. BTW all stadiums have an expiry date and the rogers centre as much as I like it when its full has been a problem since the boom of the modern stadiums not long after it was constructed.

I think you could add a stop on the Milton line.....not sure the Barrie trains go through there (I have never been on a Barrie train and I don't think I have seen them go through this station....Milton trains do pass through without stopping).

In the context of the whole GTS expansion project but no new service (nor even resumption of the cancelled trains).....I nearly fell off my chair laughing when I read this tweet today......

Metrolinx ‏@Metrolinx 3h3 hours ago
Our mandate: to make the best possible use of public transportation investment dollars http://bit.ly/1oXis8v#transitprogress

I also find tweets that have the hashtag #transitprogress infuriating in the context of this project....there has been no transit progress....just construction progress....and they are not the same thing.

This stadium discussion is interesting. There’s no denying this is a major hub and there’s potential for future large-scale re/upzoning. As for the school, I wouldn’t rule out a public-private redevelopment of a TDSB building if the opportunity were to present itself. It’s been done in the past: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Toronto_Collegiate_Institute

Somewhat related; I’ve been toying with a similar idea at Danforth/Broadview for a Relief Line interchange station and mixed use redevelopment. Just to the west of Broadview Stn is a sizable TDSB campus that could prove to be quite a lucrative asset if rebuilt with a rerouted RH-RER/Don Branch station + underground pedestrian connection to Broadview. It wouldn’t be a stadium or anything, but even without an interchange the site has a few inherent features that boost its value and could make it attractive to developers. Discussing future growth around multi-modal hubs is definitely exciting.

You don't spend much time around school boards, do you? Have fun dreaming....

does the barrie line not go directly between dundas west and Lansdowne?

Yes, Barrie Line trains do not pass through Bloor GO Station. The tracks are east of Dundas, between Rankin & Wade, just west of Landsdowne.

The best option for a station there probably involves expropriation of the Value Village on the southside of Bloor Street.

Last edited:
You don't spend much time around school boards, do you? Have fun dreaming....

:confused: Don’t spend much time reading the news, do you? Dwindling enrolment, large shortfalls, and multi-Billion dollar repair backlogs means TDSB needs money; consolidation, maximizing value, and public-private redevelopment of TDSB schools is nothing new; Toronto is developing. I don’t dream, I logically envision :cool:.

*I wrote more on this property/school, which I'll probably combine with a lengthier post in the DRL or Fantasy Map thread (at a later date).

Won't get off topic (although I would love to go on about what a wonderful idea a high-quality open-air ball park at Bloor/Dundas would be - equal to Fenway or Wrigley, IMHO).

The relevance to this thread is - if GO were to take posession of the CP Canpa Sub (another off-topic, I know), with minimal modification to the GO Bloor Station (add a platform for the Milton line) then GO could run ball game trains express from Oakville, Stouffville, Richmond Hill, and Oshawa, drop off passengers for the game and continue west to Obico and down to Willowbrook. Reverse the flow after the game. Adding in the Georgetown/KW RER/ST, it would provide tremendous rail capacity. Also not impossible for bus express to access via Black Creek and Weston/Keele.

As for the inevitable vehicular traffic, do what Fenway and Wrigley do....let local homeowners charge to park on their lawns. For those crazy enough to drive......

- Paul

So the "C Units" for the UP Express have started to arrive. These are the middle cars on the 3 DMU trainsets, so don't be alarmed; their ugliness will be covered on each end with a sleek "normal" UP Epresss "A Unit". And yes, these "C Units" have a cab, and an engine built in, so theoretically they could run without "A Units" attached.

This picture was taken from the Canadian Railway Observations (CRO) Facebook page. This DMU was seen in CN's MacMillan Yard on February 8th.

10978640_10153024919595758_121491638736056865_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10978640_10153024919595758_121491638736056865_n.jpg
    10978640_10153024919595758_121491638736056865_n.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 1,126
So the "C Units" for the UP Express have started to arrive. These are the middle cars on the 3 DMU trainsets, so don't be alarmed; their ugliness will be covered on each end with a sleek "normal" UP Epresss "A Unit". And yes, these "C Units" have a cab, and an engine built in, so theoretically they could run without "A Units" attached.

It's not theoretical at all. One of the things they plan on testing before the service starts is whether a single unit can trigger the signal system - there are thoughts that some quieter periods will be run with only a single car.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

This picture was taken from the Canadian Railway Observations (CRO) Facebook page. This DMU was seen in CN's MacMillan Yard on February 8th.

View attachment 41474

on that note, how many of the trains are here and whats yet to arrive?

I believe that the C-series cars were only going to start arriving once all the A-series were delivered. And I think there were going to be 4 trainsets?
And this is the first we've seen of a C-series, so that would mean:

Arrived:
8 A-series
1 C-series

Yet to arrive:
3 C-series

I believe that the C-series cars were only going to start arriving once all the A-series were delivered. And I think there were going to be 4 trainsets?
And this is the first we've seen of a C-series, so that would mean:

Arrived:
8 A-series
1 C-series

Yet to arrive:
3 C-series

Actually Metrolinx ordered 18 DMUs total. Original order was 12, but they exercised and option for 6 more to make 18. The breakdown is 14 A-Units and 4 C-Units

They will run in 4 3-DMU trains, and 3 2-DMU trains.

This information used to be on the UP Express website, but I couldn't find it anymore.

It's not theoretical at all. One of the things they plan on testing before the service starts is whether a single unit can trigger the signal system - there are thoughts that some quieter periods will be run with only a single car.

Where did they say that they were considering single-car operation? I was under the impression that there was only a cab at one end of each car, meaning that a single unit would get to the end of the line and need to turn around or drive in reverse.

Actually Metrolinx ordered 18 DMUs total. Original order was 12, but they exercised and option for 6 more to make 18. The breakdown is 14 A-Units and 4 C-Units

This information used to be on the UP Express website, but I couldn't find it anymore.

It was definitely on Actually Metrolinx ordered 18 DMUs total. Original order was 12, but they exercised and option for 6 more to make 18. The breakdown is 14 A-Units and 4 C-Units

This information used to be on the UP Express website, but I couldn't find it anymore.[/QUOTE]

http://www.upexpress.com/en/project/vehicles.aspx"]the Vehicles page, because I cited it in the Nippon Sharyo DMU Wikipedia article. Maybe they've had a change in heart and switched to the more-logical configuration of 12 A-Units and 6 C-Units.

The service pattern will be 5 vehicles operating a 75 minute round trip. It seems a bit excessive to have 7 trainsets, I'm not sure if we really need two spares at any given point. Plus if we only have 4 three-car sets, there will always be at least one two-car set on the line, which could become overcrowded at busier times.

Last edited:

Back