Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

That's cool, I wanna visit that when I go to Montreal.
Ironically when I lived in Montreal in the 1980s and used that station frequently, I never paid it any attention, and usually walked further underground, so I would't have to cross St-Antoine on foot. Now I know this history, and have seen them in Paris, I wish I'd paid more attention to it.

Here's how the underground streetcar stations looked in Brussels, it shouldn't be dramatically different from the underground Eglinton stations:

Cityrunner_Brussel_premetro.JPG

Except I think the Crosstown stations will all be centre-platform.

Underground LRT is just a subway lol, although possibly with smaller vehicles. Although many subways have small vehicles as well, and some LRTs have multi-car very long trains (like some LA lines I believe). Boston's Green line (which most would classify as LRT or subway), and San Fran's streetcars also go underground. Same with Philadelphia & Newark I believe.

Haymarket_Green_westbound.jpg

628x471.jpg
I think Metrolinx needed to show these pictures to people to convince them. These are pretty nice and no difference from the subway. I heard out platforms will be shorter though.
Ironically when I lived in Montreal in the 1980s and used that station frequently, I never paid it any attention, and usually walked further underground, so I would't have to cross St-Antoine on foot. Now I know this history, and have seen them in Paris, I wish I'd paid more attention to it.

Wow, the little things or the ones you don't see. It looks like people used to pay attention to station design.

I think Metrolinx needed to show these pictures to people to convince them. These are pretty nice and no difference from the subway. I heard out platforms will be shorter though.

The trains used at MBTA Green line are 72 ft (22m), in units of 1, 2 or 3 trains - which gives you 66m max (though the platform length might be longer). Our stations are significantly more generous with platform length at 90m.

AoD

Ottawa's LRT has now been given the name "Confederation Line" for the construction period, and that's what the city, media, and for the most part general public call it. The term "LRT" is now largely deprecated. The odd person will call it the "subway", but nobody even remotely official has ever called it that AFAIK.

The city is still trying to figure out how it wants to deal with the naming issue after construction ends, as the goal is to have the Confederation Line and the existing O-Train be seen as a single transit system, so it needs to come up with a system name as well as some way to give the two lines names with a common theme. The bilingualism issue complicates things as there is no convenient French translation for "LRT"--the literal translation is "train leger", and the city has used that in planning documents, but it sounds really stupid and no francophones ever actually say that. The term "tram" exists in French, but it implies a streetcar-type service, calling Ottawa's subway-like LRT "un tram" would be very weird. In the end, the city is likely to go with the term "metro" simply because of its linguistic convenience.

Ottawa's LRT has now been given the name "Confederation Line" for the construction period, and that's what the city, media, and for the most part general public call it. The term "LRT" is now largely deprecated. The odd person will call it the "subway", but nobody even remotely official has ever called it that AFAIK.

The city is still trying to figure out how it wants to deal with the naming issue after construction ends, as the goal is to have the Confederation Line and the existing O-Train be seen as a single transit system, so it needs to come up with a system name as well as some way to give the two lines names with a common theme. The bilingualism issue complicates things as there is no convenient French translation for "LRT"--the literal translation is "train leger", and the city has used that in planning documents, but it sounds really stupid and no francophones ever actually say that. The term "tram" exists in French, but it implies a streetcar-type service, calling Ottawa's subway-like LRT "un tram" would be very weird. In the end, the city is likely to go with the term "metro" simply because of its linguistic convenience.

They could always go with the (largely) Belgian term prémétro.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premetro

It sort of has a ring of 'one day it'll be a subway' to it ...

It's not uncommon for light rail to be referred to as métro léger in French either, or even just métro. The city of Rouen in France has a modern streetcar network with some LRT aspects (it's not entirely in its own ROW, for one thing) and should therefore really be called un tramway, but in order to sound modern and appealing, the name métro was consciously chosen.

Some updates.
By the 2nd weekend in July, Strachan Grade Crossing will be history as the first haft of the new overpass is supposed to be in service.

Metrolinx has a number of new duct banks to build once they start excavating the current crossing.

Things are on schedule even with the month delay for getting the overpass open to be completed by December 2014.

Most projects in this corridor are on schedule to ahead of schedule for 2014 completion date. A few will be going into 2015 as plan.

Looking from the south side of Bloor, you can see the Bloor entrance for the west platform and no entrance for the east at this time. Foam and mesh have been place at the north end of the west platform for the snow melting system to be place, tested and concrete pour over it.

The 3rd bridge for the diamond take place this weekend and will be on site for it. Official ends 131 years for the diamond once the current diamonds are remove this weekend.

CP may or may not totally rebuilt the mainline in this area the same weekend once they get the new bridge on Sat. Regardless, new tracks will be place for both bridges. CP trains will be traveling at a higher speed after this weekend and more so once construction is completed.

Old Weston Rd bridge is schedule for the end of July and depending on the timing of it, I maybe away that week on holiday. Old Weston Rd is schedule to open at the end of September with a special event for the local residents as well a ribbon cutting. More to follow on this.

All the west retaining wall is in place except for the bridge areas north of the diamond with fencing on top of it.

Metrolinx is still looking at which tunnel will have 2 tracks in it and will be the fall before it decided when tracks are to be lay.

The centre retaining wall supports beyond the current tunnel that was used to support the Old Weston Sub are being remove, as they are not require. The floor will be the same level over them to fill the gap between the 2 tunnels.

Since these tunnel has less overhead that the rest, various options are been looked at how to support the electrification of the line. One idea been look at is having the support being on top of the beams to hold the wires under the brace beams.

They are lowering the floor of the new tunnel under the 401 and need to have a look at it as well the new Etobicoke North Station since been a year since my last visit.

Contract for the new sound barrier walls still not awarded with no start date as well location until the contractor is on board.

Saw a new overhead view of the diamond area and total different look than before. Have to get a link to it.

More to follow

Last edited:
Old Weston Rd bridge is schedule for the end of July and depending on the timing of it, I maybe away that week on holiday. Old Weston Rd is schedule to open at the end of September with a special event for the local residents as well a ribbon cutting. More to follow on this.

Old Weston Road bridge? or Junction Road?

Junction Road ends at Old Weston Road, so the former.
They call it a bridge, but I call it a deck span as it does not meet the standards of a true bridge, other than you can drive & walk on it.

People do get confuse as to the crossing name since the original road and bridge are long gone for Old Weston Rd going south over the CP tracks and this includes the Galt Sub.

Maybe one day it may come back and it is long over due. It would help pedestrians getting to the other side faster than that looooong walk ones has to do now.

If you look at the west end of the Union Station inside before the Path walkway, they have built what looks to me a check-in area for the UPX and a fair walking distance to the platform itself. The old Porter area is being lease as office space and was been shown when I pass it a few days ago.

Part of Weston new platform has foam and mesh down for placement of the melting system. There are 2 large generators by the north underpass in their room.

John St is being dug up now for the ramp area now with only 4 more support beams to be place by King St for the retaining wall.

Dennison Rd roof structure been place for the sewer system and supposed to be completed by end of next week. Backfilling on top of them to prepare for the road and retaining walls is to follow next. "SUPPOSE" to open late summer and will believe it when I see it considering it was to be now, early this year, late fall 2013.

4 tracks are being place from Ray Dr to Dennison considering track 1 is a future track and not to be install until needed. It also looks like CP is putting their track 1 in as well.

The sidewalk on the Church St bridge is really wide and haven't seen one like this before.

New track 1 is about to go in from the John Tower to Simcoe.

Steel beams for Weston Rd bridge are to be place in July with no roadwork for the northbound lanes. Must be waiting until the beams are place.

Back