Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Go green

I think electric trains are great and all but could all these clean train organizations maybe also advocate for getting more cars off the road?

Absolutely. Also trying to replace all those GO Buses that run every five minutes. And that's just on the Lakeshore Express Toronto to Hamilton. I cannot imagine how many busses are on the road every minute all day long.

Thanks for your feedback :)

I encourage students to become more informed about what is going on in this city. However, I have and continue to support this project.

We need Green trains!!!

Go Electric. :)

Okay, first off, how do you generate the power for "green" trains? In Ontario some of it might come from our overburdened nuclear power system, although it'll more likely come from natural gas. In most other places in North America, though, it will come from coal and since the North American electrical grid is completely interconnected, I'm sure that adding significant electrical demand in Toronto will, in some way, result in added capacity through coal plants somewhere in the Eastern United States. Then, of course, there's the emissions required to build an electric train system.

Finally, as nfits and GM point out, redirecting your efforts toward getting cars off the road gives you a far bigger bang for the buck - that is, if you care about the environment more than the image of electrified trains. Which you obviously don't.

They are planning to put Diesel trains from Union station to the Airport. Have they lost their minds. If they did that in Europe, our planet would have blown up by now.

Blown up by now? What kind of student are you? A junior high school student?

Our Transit!
Our Air!
Our Future!

Join facebook: Clean Train Student Coalition

Say "No" to Dirty Diesel and "Yes" to a Clean Future!!!

This is Helen Lovejoy "Think of the Children" stuff. Intellectually dishonest.

Saving Lives

Yes but by delaying GO upgrades by pushing only electric trains, you will also kill too many people. Shame on you!

We are not delaying the train expansion. They have not ordered the new trains yet. They are new 4 tier Diesel Trains that will be manufactured in the near future. They are going to spend many tax dollars on the wrong technology.

Diesel Trains are obsolete in all "World Class Cities".

In just a few years after implementation, they will be trying to sell the diesel engines and converting to electric. I suspect that the Government has a hidden agenda for these new Diesel trains. We need to stop improper spending of our tax dollars.

Okay, first off, how do you generate the power for "green" trains? In Ontario some of it might come from our overburdened nuclear power system, although it'll more likely come from natural gas. In most other places in North America, though, it will come from coal and since the North American electrical grid is completely interconnected, I'm sure that adding significant electrical demand in Toronto will, in some way, result in added capacity through coal plants somewhere in the Eastern United States. Then, of course, there's the emissions required to build an electric train system.

Finally, as nfits and GM point out, redirecting your efforts toward getting cars off the road gives you a far bigger bang for the buck - that is, if you care about the environment more than the image of electrified trains. Which you obviously don't.

Blown up by now? What kind of student are you? A junior high school student?

This is Helen Lovejoy "Think of the Children" stuff. Intellectually dishonest.

We need to force our Government to make the right decisions regarding renewable energy. That should be a new Thread if someone has some expertise in the matter of Green Energy production.

Maybe I overstepped myself by stating that Diesel Trains are obsolete in all "World Class Cities".

Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are all entitled to our own opinions.

true. but we've discussed this topic over and over again on this message board and each side has presented its arguments. by shouting one liners without explanation, all you're doing is providing an avenue for the opposing side to nail you.

you could have started this thread by saying:

we've started a GO transit/union pearson rail link electrification advocacy group on facebook. for those who'd like to join, click the following link.

Apologies

true. but we've discussed this topic over and over again on this message board and each side has presented its arguments. by shouting one liners without explanation, all you're doing is providing an avenue for the opposing side to nail you.

you could have started this thread by saying:

Sorry, I did not realize that I was shouting.

Thanks for you constructive criticism. I do appreciate it.

Actually I am just a strong supporter for the cause. Not a member of the Coalition.

I will leave it for new members to give their feedback. I do not want to come across as argumentative. I hope others stop the rude insults. We are just giving opinions here.

Well, there are diesel trains...

go-700-mt.jpg

there are diesel trains...

IC3_3.JPG

there are diesel trains...

dart2009.jpg

and there are diesel trains...

otrain-approaching-bayview-2006_0608.jpg

It seems clear to me that they TYPE of train is a far more important factor than the energy that drives it.

Sorry, I did not realize that I was shouting.

Thanks for you constructive criticism. I do appreciate it.

Actually I am just a strong supporter for the cause. Not a member of the Coalition.

I will leave it for new members to give their feedback. I do not want to come across as argumentative. I hope others stop the rude insults. We are just giving opinions here.

i support the electrification as well. for reasons why, you can find those in another thread relating to the subject.

I may be new at this, but this much I know. Rules are there for a reason and must be followed.

If you do not wish to respect the rules of this web site, do not post your inappropriate comments here.

My purpose for this thread is clear at the beginning. I welcome feedback and opinions.

I give the same respect that I wish to receive from others. The Golden Rule :)

Last edited:
It's pretty clear that nfitz understands that he said something very, very offensive and is trying to make up for it by deleting all his posts.

I would be looking at this quite differently if this was the first time the mods have received complaints about his behaviour, but it's far from it. Instead, this is clearly a inevitable conclusion and any attempts to clear his tracks will not erase this fact.

That said, let's put this behind us. There's no reason for this thread to end here. The thread will be cleared of the offending material and I hope discussion can continue in a calm and respectful manner.

Thank you.
`

Last edited:
You're fighting the good fight, Jaguar4u. Electric trains obviously take cars off the road and have a lesser impact on the communities surrounding the tracks, especially when service is supposed to be frequent. Why devalue historic urban communities when we have technology to minimize the impact of increased service?

Back