Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

It will be way cheaper with UberX. UberSelect is more expensive than UberX.

That is true, however you cannot call UberX to the airport. They have locked people out from calling them to Pearson, I'm assuming because of legal concerns with the GTAA. You can call them to nearby streets, airport road or viscount for instance, but you'd have to walk there. Some people online report an allegedly "common" practice of calling the drivers nearby, then once they accept the ride calling them on the phone through the app and telling them you're actually at Pearson, but firstly that's a violation of Uber's rider terms and conditions and could get your account terminated, and it's also contrary to GTAA rules regarding authorized pickup vehicles and if they catch you there would undoubtedly be fairly serious problems--I have a feeling Uber wouldn't have blocked Pearson if they weren't very, very concerned about this, so I'd rather not test them. I'm not sure exactly what the GTAA's authority is re: authorized pickup vehicle licensing/fees, i.e. whether they can issue tickets or if criminal charges are possible for unlicensed pickups, but again, if Uber's scared enough not to screw with them, when they're happy to go against damn near every municipal government on earth and there's such a high amount of money to be made at the airport that they're losing out on, so am I.

That said, I actually don't believe you can call UberSelect to the airport either, since their vehicles are similarly unlicensed. You can call UberBlack, but firstly that's subject to, I believe, a $25 additional "scheduled pickup fee" from the airport, and it's their fully-licensed limo service i.e. the exact same cars/drivers as the airport's limo stand, except since it's Uber I'm not sure if they honour the GTAA flat-rate map.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know this. Haven't taken Uber to the airport before.

To clarify, you can take UberX/Select to the airport, just not back--going there I think the logic is it's easy enough to make it look like a casual case of an acquaintance dropping you off, but leaving the airport not so much.

To clarify, you can take UberX/Select to the airport, just not back--going there I think the logic is it's easy enough to make it look like a casual case of an acquaintance dropping you off, but leaving the airport not so much.
Just as any cab anywhere in the region can drop you off at the airport....but only those that have paid additional fees to GTAA can pick up at the airport.

Thanks for the clarification. So you can take it to go the airport, just can't take one when leaving the airport. Got you.

Thanks for the clarification. So you can take it to go the airport, just can't take one when leaving the airport. Got you.

Yes. Right now it says it costs $21-29 to go from downtown to Pearson.
When you come back, UberX is not an option.

Yes. Right now it says it costs $21-29 to go from downtown to Pearson.
When you come back, UberX is not an option.

If you are looking to save some money on the way back:

- take the Terminal Link train to the Viscount discount lot. Follow signs to the Alt hotel which is built right beside the station. Uber is available there.

- look at the fare zones. If you live near a border it may save you $5 if you walk 1 block (it does for me)
http://www.torontopearson.com/en/toandfrom/taxilimo/#
My buddy learned this when he lived at Niagara & Bathurst (west side). He just walked across the street to save $5.

Just wanted to add a quick little note to this thread.

Earlier it was mentioned that the marketing for the UPX was all done wrong when introducing the pricing. Last week I was flying Air Canada and in their meal guide there was an Advert for the UPX. It listed all the pricing based on age and stations. No where did it mention the Presto discount.

Just wanted to add a quick little note to this thread.

Earlier it was mentioned that the marketing for the UPX was all done wrong when introducing the pricing. Last week I was flying Air Canada and in their meal guide there was an Advert for the UPX. It listed all the pricing based on age and stations. No where did it mention the Presto discount.

Their website is the same. I don't know why they don't advertise the Presto discount, given that the representatives at the booth when I bought my Presto were more than helpful with that option.

I believe UPE have just changed marketing agencies. So you may see the whole service being repositioned in the coming months.
Because that was the problem. Marketing. HEAD DESK. How many months will it take for gross fares to cover even the most basic cost of that??

Back