Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Only for airport<--->union customers does the Cofare apply now. See below from the FAQ on the policy change from the UP website https://www.upexpress.com/CustomerSupport/CustomerSupport

"Will I still get a discount on UP Express when connecting to the TTC?
UP customers travelling to or from Pearson Airport will continue to get the discount when connecting with the TTC. Customers traveling between Union, Bloor and Weston stations who wish to take advantage of the discount when connecting with TTC, have the option of taking GO Transit."

Actually, in many cases, they do NOT have the option of taking GO Transit! :p

The enduring hypocrisy of Metrolinx and curious ways continues. One of the reasons Metrolinx claims they don't put readers on platforms is that "it lends itself to fare evasion, as when scofflaws see fare checkers on the train or the platform, they can hop off at the station to tap their cards" which always struck me as ridiculous, but there you go.

And now, at Bloor Station:

Pic by me
That's right! In the cause of the possibility of people to not tap on the UPX readers to serve their masters appropriately, Metrolinx is violating its own previous diktat. The GO Presto fare stalks are being covered in the ticket halls.

GO figure.

The enduring hypocrisy of Metrolinx and curious ways continues. One of the reasons Metrolinx claims they don't put readers on platforms is that "it lends itself to fare evasion, as when scofflaws see fare checkers on the train or the platform, they can hop off at the station to tap their cards" which always struck me as ridiculous, but there you go.

At least that still generates "some" revenue right??? Sometimes I feel like metrolinx chops off it's nose to spite it's face.

Sometimes I feel like metrolinx chops off it's nose to spite it's face.
I live right next to the Georgetown tracks and steps from the Bloor Station, and watch the UPX trains go by. Ridership *apparently* is way down (I avoid being in rush hour unless forced to be by appointments downtown).

It will be telling to see what the ridership figures are on the UPX since the change...and if they've migrated to the once an hour, only weekday, only mid-day runs.

I see no evidence of it. So GO/UPX has lost most of those riders!

The cost to convert the current fleet to EMU was to be $1,000,000 per car when the order was place, Not worth it from my point of view since you can buy new cars that are better than the current fleet.

Surprise by the lack of backlash from the Weston Group about the cars not being EMU this year.

From my visited to Bloor in Off peak, very few riders getting on/off, let alone going to/from the airport.

Even GO trains see few riders off peak.

The cost to convert the current fleet to EMU was to be $1,000,000 per car when the order was place, Not worth it from my point of view since you can buy new EMU cars that are better than the current fleet.

Surprise by the lack of backlash from the Weston Group about the cars not being EMU this year.

From my visited to Bloor in Off peak, very few riders getting on/off, let alone going to/from the airport.

The cost to convert the current fleet to EMU was to be $1,000,000 per car when the order was place, Not worth it from my point of view since you can buy new cars that are better than the current fleet.
Metrolinx have long ago erased any trace on-line of the 'electric conversion of the DMUs'...it was so bizarre as to be farce. Had it seriously been designed for conversion, it would have been built DEMU.

Metrolinx never claimed it was cheap to repower, only that it could be done! As for the Westoners, why should they jump up and down when there is little chance of QP heeding them?

Not necessarily. Irish Rail are undertaking a trial repower of their D(H)MUs with these: https://www.mtu-online.com/hybrid/
That's not an 'electric conversion' the way Metrolinx promoted it for the Nippon Sharyos. What are the catenary masts for in spots on the line? Nippon and Metrolinx had diagrams switching out, amongst other things, the bogies for electric motor drive ones. EMU bogies. And both bogies being driven, which in itself would have advantages for tractive ability.

Theoretically it is possible to replace the flat-pack Cummins with an electric motor and drive the one bogie with the capstan shaft that exists...but you can also turn a Budd Car electric doing same. Or a Chevrolet van...

It's not practical. DEMUs lend themselves much more readily to conversion.

Edit:Hallelujah! I found a reference Metrolinx missed erasing:
Air Rail Link Vehicle Feb. 18, 2011 Gary McNeil, President, GO Transit Acting President, Air Rail Link

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pdf/board_agenda/20110218/arlvehicle-feb2011revfinal-2.pdf

And that's all you have to do! Just gut the mechanics and start again. Seats and toilet can remain as is. Easy peasy...(Batteries Not Included, Instructions are extra)

Addendum: Later diagrams that Metrolinx published, complete with their own colour scheme logos, showed both sets of bogies traded out. In for a Penny, in for a Pound, but it would double the tractive ability and regenerative braking factor not addressed in this earlier blurb. Not that it really matters...it was all for PR complete with K-Y gel.

Last edited:

My unscientific ridership observation is that a lot of the mid day riders on the Kitchener line especially are students heading to downtown campuses. And it’s currently down time between spring and summer semesters.

- Paul

My unscientific ridership observation is that a lot of the mid day riders on the Kitchener line especially are students heading to downtown campuses. And it’s currently down time between spring and summer semesters.

- Paul
My observations were they were getting on in Brampton for the last run south at around 4 (edit: 4:01 @ Brampton)from Sheridan and CIMT. Morning trains to get them there don't start until after 9. (edit 9:38) Those mid-day trains, unless they've drastically altered the schedule (which would be wonderful, the window is way too small) limit a lot of practical out and back possibilities. Even walking Big Black Lab, I haven't used UPX since they thumbed their nose at me. I just take the TTC now to get downtown. And taking GO from here and having to figure out the time just not worth it. Excellent planning there Metrolinx!

Last edited:
Although I saw a few people migrate from the UP platform to the GO platform at Weston when they took away the PRESTO loyalty, a number of those people have migrated back since. It's still packed on the platform at Weston in the morning rush, meaning most people don't mind paying the extra $40 per month.

Although I saw a few people migrate from the UP platform to the GO platform at Weston when they took away the PRESTO loyalty, a number of those people have migrated back since. It's still packed on the platform at Weston in the morning rush, meaning most people don't mind paying the extra $40 per month.
My observations are outside of peak, but yours is a good one for peak. What amazes me is that Presto can't reflect off-peak pricing. Or can it, and it's just not being utilized? It alone would make many people use the system when it's not busy, and show a substantial increase to GO's bottom-line and more efficient utilization of services.

Quick comparison, others can add to this example:
Peak and off-peak times
We charge higher fares at the busiest times of the day.

Using pay as you go
On Tube, DLR, London Overground, TfL Rail and National Rail services in London:

• Peak fares - Monday to Friday (not on public holidays) between 06:30 and 09:30, and between 16:00 and 19:00
  • Off-peak fares - at all other times and if you travel from a station outside Zone 1 to a station in Zone 1 between 16:00 and 19:00, Monday to Friday
https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares

I'll find more detail on this, and move it to the Presto string, but surely Presto and Metrolinx! If there's overcrowding on some routes that are otherwise grossly underutilized at other times, apply common sense pricing!

I can find nothing in a quick check for GO Presto peak/off-peak, but there are hits for the TTC!
Peak fare pricing could be coming to TTC in 2018 - CityNews Toronto
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2015/.../peak-fare-pricing-could-be-coming-to-ttc-in-2018/

Dec 17, 2015 - Once the Presto system has been fully implemented across the TTC, the ... Riders could see increased fares during rush hour or a decrease during off-peak hours, ... The peak fare pricing is part of the 2018 budget process.
TTC considers peak and off-peak fares - blogTO
https://www.blogto.com/city/2015/12/ttc_considers_peak_and_off-peak_fares/
Dec 9, 2015 - Once the entire system is PRESTO ready, however, customers are likely to see a host of changes, one of which could be peak and off-peak ...
- : Google

I'd say Weston peak users are making the point! Not only that, but since the UPX fare system is once again stand-alone from GO's, it's the perfect place to to try it. And any excuse 'we can't apply that to Pearson users' is already addressed with that being a unique destination charge. It doesn't have to change. Unless Presto screws it up...a distinct possibility.
[...]
"Many transit agencies offer peak and off-peak pricing to reduce congestion during peak hours and encourage off-peak ridership," reads a new report. "There are two ways in which this policy is implemented; either the peak price is inflated to discourage travel during peak hours or the off-peak price is decreased to encourage new customers during off-peak hours."

While such a payment structure wouldn't be considered until the complete implementation of PRESTO (projected in 2017), come 2018 the TTC wants to include peak and off-peak pricing as part of its 2018 operating budget with the aim of increasing revenue. [...]
https://www.blogto.com/city/2015/12/ttc_considers_peak_and_off-peak_fares/

Where's Yurek on that? "Efficiencies"? Not everything comes in a pill bottle Jeff.

Last edited:

Back