Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Yeah and thats not a metro either
Perhaps you could post a definition of "metro"? Because I've been searching for a definitive one for years to even meet loose terms in threads like these. There isn't one. Even a busway can be a "metro" by the various definitions available.

There's a 'general consensus' as to what a 'metro train' is as various manufacturers sell them by that name, and a lot of them! But UPX as it is now even can be considered a "metro" if someone called it that, let alone when electrified and carrying more overhead commuter traffic.

Cross post since this effect UPX

Major Infrastructure Upgrades to Impact Weekend Train Service this Fall

The first weekend is Sept. 8-9. Service on the Lakeshore East and Lakeshore West lines will operate hourly. Lakeshore West GO trains will not serve stations west of Long Branch GO Station. Customers travelling to and from Exhibition will have to transfer trains at Union Station. Customers who regularly use Mimico GO Station are encouraged to use Long Branch GO or the TTC as an alternative. Travel times for both lines are expected to run 10-15 minutes longer.

Aren't all those stations EAST of Long Branch?

For those who like ridership stats:

@ON_ThomasMooney

I would be very curious to see the ridership numbers (occupied/unoccupied seat ratio)for the @Metrolinx Union Pearson Express since price was dropped. Seeing many empty seats and entire empty rail cars going to and fro. What’s that ongoing cost #Ontario? #onpoli

@Metrolinx
Replying to @ON_ThomasMooney
UP Express ridership continues to increase. July ridership was 356,000. Ridership in June hit a record high - over 417,000 customers - a 20% increase over June 2017.

^Yes, I believe those stats were posted already a few pages back.

But it's not fully grade-separated though. With full grade-separation comes both road and rail separations, this one doesn't have the latter. Look at the section through Etobicoke, surely that would limit it becoming anything beyond a 15min service. I'm down with using the term subway/metro when appropriate, but personally wouldn't in the UPX scenario.

Full road grade-separations are really only a requirement in North America where drivers are so irresponsible that they want to get their cars totaled. When I visited Japan again last week, plenty of JR, and private heavy rail lines utilized at-grade crossings that were shared. The difference? The Japanese are respectful enough to let the trains pass first. The UPX will never be a subway/metro. It is a limited express train like the Narita Express (which runs on the Chuo/sobu rapid line and Narita lines) or the Keisei Skyliner (which runs on the Sky Access Line). To suggest that it should be like any of the heavy rail lines (ie the Keihin Tohoku line, Sobu rapid line, Chuo line, Yamanote line, etc) is silly. Its job is to shuttle people to the airport. Leave the local stops to RER.

It should also be noted that a lot of the aforementioned lines (ie the Keihin Tohoku line) share tracks with other lines in the system, and on Narrow Guage track on top of it. A big problem is that aside from the awful state of rail infrastructure we have here is that schedules aren't coordinated well between the different rail lines (VIA, CN, CP, Metrolinx), and no one is punctual. Part of the problem is due to track infrastructure, but a good portion of it is also due to poor management. Japan may have the advantage because all the lines are part of JR East and the freight railroad JR Freight has close ties with JR East, however, there is no reason that better scheduling practices cannot exist, especially when one looks at the relationship with Tokyo Metro and private lines such as the Minatomirai line. In this example, the Fukutoshin line in Tokyo is served by regular metro rolling stock and also that of Minatomirai trains, enabling through service on the subway from Yokohama. While grade separations of different rail lines are important, they are arguably not the most important aspect of a line. Here, I would argue electrification and track infrastructure are since they allow for the accelerations necessary to avoid schedule conflicts without delays.

Another service degradation (30 minutes, plus delays of 15 minutes or more) is scheduled for next weekend, September 22nd/23rd, according to signs at the stations today. Onboard staff ran an announcement stating 15+ minute delays are expected; reason given was signal work at Union.

IMG_0462.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0462.JPG
    IMG_0462.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 418
I rode the SMART train from Santa Rosa to San Rafael last week. It was fun riding UP Express's twin. Wish the San Rafael to Larkspur segment was complete though. It's supposed to open next year. Will make it much easier to get to the ferry to San Francisco. I got a Clipper card just because savings for the ferry on the Clipper card are very high versus the cash fare. One way regular adult fare is $12. The Clipper fare is $7.75. The $3 cost of the Clipper card is paid for with one ferry trip!

I rode the SMART train from Santa Rosa to San Rafael last week. It was fun riding UP Express's twin. Wish the San Rafael to Larkspur segment was complete though. It's supposed to open next year. Will make it much easier to get to the ferry to San Francisco. I got a Clipper card just because savings for the ferry on the Clipper card are very high versus the cash fare. One way regular adult fare is $12. The Clipper fare is $7.75. The $3 cost of the Clipper card is paid for with one ferry trip!

Was the train fast? It looked pretty slow in many videos I saw.

Compared to the 110 the UPX can get up to around Weston at least.

Compared to the 110 the UPX can get up to around Weston at least.

UPX just crawlsss when it approaches the airport though. It's psychologically punishing to watch the airport approach in slow motion when you are rushing to make a flight.

^ Also, I noticed when leaving the spur to the airport and joining the Weston Sub the train slows a lot for the curve. It's understandable given it's a curve but it almost felt today it was slower than it used to be. Am I mistaken or is there some kind of new slow order due to track work/signals?

^ Also, I noticed when leaving the spur to the airport and joining the Weston Sub the train slows a lot for the curve. It's understandable given it's a curve but it almost felt today it was slower than it used to be. Am I mistaken or is there some kind of new slow order due to track work/signals?

They've been doing trackwork at the plant at Wice for the past week or so. Depending on what exactly has being done, there may be a slow order until a preset amount of tonnage has rolled over it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back