Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

How long is the walk from the UPX station to the GO platform.

I've been thinking of doing this to get to TFC games but it sounds like a real pain in the ass.

I've been thinking of doing this to get to TFC games but it sounds like a real pain in the ass.
That is why I do it.....it is a lot shorter than you think.....2 - 3 minute walk from UP to west end of GO.....just walk towards Union but take first stairs down to York west teamway.

Nice.

This also avoids the tunnel post game.
It is the biggest advantage......easy access to EB train and since you want to be at the back (west) end of the train when you arrive at Union you can avoid the mess in the middle and sit in a near empty car on way to Union

If you use track 3 and big metal doors in the sky walk than the walk is much less circuitous
It is only circuitous if you aim for the central part of the station to catch your GO....before you get to the corridor that takes you to track 3 you pass stairs down to the York west teamway and you can access all the GO platforms from there.....easy peasy and 2-3 minutes tops.

No no no, the UP Express is pretty far from being a metro or subway. No doubt its a high quality service but . . .
Perhaps, but...

When I was in San Diego a few years ago, there was a 28 minute wait for what they call Metro (an LRT) late at night (>10pm) and it had surface crossings.

GO RER intends to be more "metro" than that.

An electrification of UPX and I'm perfectly fine calling it part of GO Metro.

Last edited:
Do it all the time and, as instructed by GO, if you tap on at Weston or Bloor and use the GO Presto machines then you DO NOT tap off at Union you simply get on a GO train and tap off at the Ex.

On your return (again assuming you are headed for Weston or Bloor) tap on at Exhibition and tap off when you reach your destination.....you will be fair checked on the UP but that tap on at the EX is valid.

The UPX trains come and go every 15 minutes. The schedule for the GO Lakeshore trains are not as frequent... for now. (Unless Dougy says otherwise.)

The UPX trains come and go every 15 minutes. The schedule for the GO Lakeshore trains are not as frequent... for now. (Unless Dougy says otherwise.)
It is only an issue going to the EX.....I pick the EB UP train that gives me the shortest connection time,,,,,on way home I just take the first available EB GO train.....there is always a UP train waiting for me to board when I get there.

If Canada was Japan, you could use your Pesto Card in transit systems across the country and also to buy your Subway sandwich or anything else at any station or at convenience stores...
Hang on though - Japan is a unitary state. Canada isn't, but is a federation. Really for that kind of thing, it's best to compare Japan to Ontario (which is unitary).

And Ontario has certainly tried hard to make Presto available widely - and it's usable in the (looking here) eight¹ biggest transit systems in the province. Waterloo (ninth biggest) is the big disappointment here ...

They have talked about making it available for wider uses. Though they seem to have their hands full. Let's see what happens after they finish rolling Presto out in 2020.

¹... assuming that there's a direct correlation between population and size of the transit system - and that GO Transit is bigger than Grand River Transit

15 minutes to walk from UP to the GO at Union? Your kidding, right?
Well there was this one time, coming in on a Lakeshore East GO Train with 15 minutes to spare, and wanted to go buy a VIA ticket ... got off at near the York East concourse ... but thought I'd be really smart, and walk to the VIA Concourse exit instead ... to find it under construction ... and then the Bay west teamway entrance closed ... and into the Bay east teamway ... so I thought I'd be smart again, and go to Platform 3, and go along there to the VIA concourse ... and ended up finding that entrance closed as well ... and ended up in the York East concourse ... and running to get to the VIA ticket counter in time ... :)

Union can be confusing for those of use who think we know our way around some days!

But yes, it's about 2 minutes down the stairs to the York West teamway, up the stairs right into the end of the Skywalk near the UP entrance a bit further west.

But there's a reason when I abandon my house guests to GO/UP to get to/from the airport that I often go with them! It's not hard if you know the layout cold ... but easy to go astray.

Even taking a taxi to Station Street, it's difficult to see where to quickly get to the UP platform - rather than going to Goodlife Fitness (though I hear that street is under construction again ...)

upload_2018-8-29_18-3-12.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-29_18-3-12.png
    upload_2018-8-29_18-3-12.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 460
then you DO NOT tap off at Union you simply get on a GO train and tap off at the Ex.
The tap-on/tap-off at UPX Union has known issues. GO staff long ago advised me to do this to avoid it, and I've since avoided doing it on any train transfer there. The Presto software glitches, and can charge you for a trip it shouldn't. If it's presented with a single starting point and eventual destination, the algorithms are applied in a much simpler form, thus being much less likely to glitch.

There's many ways, most of them incredible time-wasters. As much as the elevators are painfully slow, there's one from the north end of the York Concourse to take right up to the mezzanine steps from the UPX ramp to the platform.

I did it a couple of times. Approx. 15 mins
The you went in circles. It's very easy to do. Even though I now know various ways, when I glance at the ridiculous signs, it's apparent why people get lost. Asking Security usually gets you the fastest way, they think it's all ridiculous too, and know the short-cuts.

If you use track 3 and big metal doors in the sky walk than the walk is much less circuitous
Still one of the best kept secrets! I notice they have erected signs to it on the north end of the York Concourse, but it's still not apparent unless you know it's there.

To connect to the GO Bus Terminal, Platform 3 is like taking a helicopter, especially if you are arriving or leaving on UPX. That walk takes 5-10 minutes, but is far faster than any other way. And *interesting* too.

Always avoid the elevators unless you have to use them. GO and TTC both have some of the slowest elevators known to man and/or beast.

Last edited:
Cross post since this effect UPX

Major Infrastructure Upgrades to Impact Weekend Train Service this Fall

TORONTO: August 31, 2018 – Metrolinx is committed to getting people moving better, faster and easier. In order to do so and ensure safety, some critical infrastructure upgrades are needed, which will impact service and travel along the Lakeshore West, Lakeshore East, and Barrie GO lines, as well as UP Express during several weekends this fall.

The first weekend is Sept. 8-9. Service on the Lakeshore East and Lakeshore West lines will operate hourly. Lakeshore West GO trains will not serve stations west of Long Branch GO Station. Customers travelling to and from Exhibition will have to transfer trains at Union Station. Customers who regularly use Mimico GO Station are encouraged to use Long Branch GO or the TTC as an alternative. Travel times for both lines are expected to run 10-15 minutes longer.

That same weekend, UP Express will operate every half hour. Customers should plan ahead as travel times will be increased by as much as 15 minutes.

Stay tuned for specific details of the other affected weekends this fall.

By reducing service on the weekend when there are fewer customers, we will get this work done faster, more safely and more efficiently. Stay in the know by signing up for our On the GO alerts and by checking in at gotransit.com/servicechanges and upexpress.com before you travel.

Media contacts:

Metrolinx Media Relations

416-202-5859

mediarelations@metrolinx.com

Back