Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Now when Crosstown west gets built say by 2018 (lets pretend), a passenger will get on the crosstown for TTC fare (lets not get into whether it will be zone fares or by distance fares), what will happen to UPX? Will it still continue as an express line with a premium fare or will it be merged into Go or RER or whatever? Will or can it be part of DRL west? I would think at that point the customer base UPX was to serve (business traveller) will get to airport by taxi (or Uber), Is the line the UPX runs on the same line to Kitchener/Waterloo so if yes could it be used as the Toronto-Kitcher-Waterloo high speed train. I am not too familiar with all these different GO train lines and where they start from

Now when Crosstown west gets built say by 2018 (lets pretend), a passenger will get on the crosstown for TTC fare (lets not get into whether it will be zone fares or by distance fares), what will happen to UPX?

Plan is to have a UP stop at Mt. Dennis station on the Crosstown.

I would think at that point the customer base UPX was to serve (business traveller) will get to airport by taxi (or Uber),
If you believe the target UP customer prefers cab or uber...not sure what the completion of Crosstown has to do with it or what impact that has.

Is the line the UPX runs on the same line to Kitchener/Waterloo so if yes could it be used as the Toronto-Kitcher-Waterloo high speed train. I am not too familiar with all these different GO train lines and where they start from

Until just west of the Etobicoke North station, UP runs in the same corridor but (I believe) has dedicated tracks within that corridor for the most part....after Etobicoke North, it spurs into the airport.

If you believe the target UP customer prefers cab or uber...not sure what the completion of Crosstown has to do with it or what impact that has.

Until just west of the Etobicoke North station, UP runs in the same corridor but (I believe) has dedicated tracks within that corridor for the most part....after Etobicoke North, it spurs into the airport.
UPX runs on current track 2 & 3 to the cut off at 427 for the elevated spur section with 2 & 3 continue west.

Having a station for Crosstown has been there since day one and is part of the current construction of the line. It will be the last phase to be done when Mt Dennis Station is built.

Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.47.44 PM.png

Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.46.22 PM.png

CbH1zKWUYAA4Wm-.jpg_large.jpg

Attachments

• CbH1zKWUYAA4Wm-.jpg_large.jpg
    CbH1zKWUYAA4Wm-.jpg_large.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 447
  • Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.46.22 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.46.22 PM.png
    26.3 KB · Views: 451
  • Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.47.44 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-13 at 4.47.44 PM.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 459
really feel bad for anyone that was planning to use this to get to the airport today....had planned to use it....was willing to pay their $19 (or $27.50) may not even have heard of the $0 fare today....and showed up only to have to line up....if you consider that very few of the $o fare riders will return after tuesday...this promo has the chance to do more harm than good!

UPX runs on current track 2 & 3 to the cut off at 427 for the elevated spur section with 2 & 3 continue west.

Having a station for Crosstown has been there since day one and is part of the current construction of the line. It will be the last phase to be done when Mt Dennis Station is built.
what I meant in case I was not clear was if the crosstown will continue to Pearson, will Metrolinx continue with the UPX to Pearson? There will be 2 lines going to Pearson - Crosstown and the UPX line

Ok let me try this again. Crosstown gets extended to pearson. UPx continues to Pearson. Now there are 2 lines to Pearson, Will Metrolinx continue with this UPX line. Afterall,. the long lineups for UPX today (as it is free) was long. This would indicate the Crosstown to Pearson will be more successful even with a TTC fare than the UPX

really feel bad for anyone that was planning to use this to get to the airport today....had planned to use it....was willing to pay their $19 (or $27.50) may not even have heard of the $0 fare today....and showed up only to have to line up....if you consider that very few of the $o fare riders will return after tuesday...this promo has the chance to do more harm than good!

No need to worry, it seems!
upload_2016-2-13_17-41-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-13_17-41-17.png
    upload_2016-2-13_17-41-17.png
    36.5 KB · Views: 401
Ok let me try this again. Crosstown gets extended to pearson. UPx continues to Pearson. Now there are 2 lines to Pearson, Will Metrolinx continue with this UPX line. Afterall,. the long lineups for UPX today (as it is free) was long. This would indicate the Crosstown to Pearson will be more successful even with a TTC fare than the UPX
Service 2 different markets.

Most of us know how many more riders would use UPX if it was TTC fare. Need to run 5-10 minute service if TTC fare.

Well Metrolinx, seems like it's pretty obvious what you have to do to boost ridership. Or they can just continue to be in-denial and keep "studying" ways to boost ridership and waste more money while they're at it.

^honestly, all that is "pretty obvious" today is that on a holiday weekend people will line up for free rides on a nice train.....not sure what that should/would/could lead them to do.

This weekend will be a great learning experience for Metrolinx. The line at Union (even at 5:30 pm) was way down the Skywalk.

If the ultimate outcome of the UPX "we are studying changes" line is to change prices, they should have pretty good ridership data to compare free rides to most expensive (normal priced) rides.

I don't think it would be too hard to find an equilibrium that slightly increases ridership, but doesn't make the trains crazy full.

Well Metrolinx, seems like it's pretty obvious what you have to do to boost ridership. Or they can just continue to be in-denial and keep "studying" ways to boost ridership and waste more money while they're at it.

People lined up because of the novelty of the UPX, not because it's a legitimate commuting option. I probably wouldn't use it frequently to commute, even if it were free. 15 min wait time, 5 min walk, crap signage, poor connections to other transit, etc... Even if free, the UPX would offer few travel benefits than current available options. In the 20 mins spent waiting in Union for the UPX, I could be well on my way to my destination on the TTC.

Back