Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-30_18-54-20.png
    upload_2015-11-30_18-54-20.png
    47.7 KB · Views: 797
Reactions: PL1
The provincial transportation agency is also launching changes to the UPX fare schedule. Those include allowing children 12 and under to ride free — up from 6 years of age — and a reduced return adult fare of $44 rather than the initial $53. New family fares, for airport meet-and-greets and long layover fares, of $55 will also be introduced.

Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 8.14.23 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 8.14.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-11-30 at 8.14.23 PM.png
    23.4 KB · Views: 605
The provincial transportation agency is also launching changes to the UPX fare schedule. Those include allowing children 12 and under to ride free — up from 6 years of age — and a reduced return adult fare of $44 rather than the initial $53. New family fares, for airport meet-and-greets and long layover fares, of $55 will also be introduced.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-coming-for-union-pearson-express-riders.html

they are beating around the bushes. Return tickets for $44? Funny, using Presto it only costs $38 now.
The sensible way to boost ridership is to reduce adult one way ticket price. No strings attached. Bring it under 15 will make a big psychological difference.

When UPX comes up in casual discussion with friends, I get a notable amount of comments - some are offended by the Presto discount.

It makes perfect sense from a Metrolinx, transit savy perspective - but maybe this is a case where the elitist intelligenzia are a bit ivory-tower and have moved too far ahead of the masses.

Toronto is barely started with Presto, and at the snail's pace the TTC is going, it will be a while before Presto is widespread. So right now, forcing people to buy a Presto card to get the cheaper fare feels wrong. Out of towners wonder why they are being sold a card they can't use anywhere (an exaggeration I know, but even savvy Presto users have to hunt for the right subway station as yet). Veteran TTC users have a similar reaction so far.

I just spent a week in London with my Oyster card firmly in hand, so don't assume I'm anti-Presto, I'm not. I love it. But the average Torontonian isn't there yet. This kind of "It's good for you, you should thank me for forcing this on you" mentality is what got Miller dumped in favour of Ford.

The other comment I get is "why make it a non-round price that requires change? Just let me hand them a bill, and cut down on the cashier's workload, I don't want small change in my pockets when I get to airport security anyways".

Travellers understand that local transit passes are cheaper than the 'one time' fare. So - maybe a $20 cash fare and the $19 Presto fare. People won't feel cheated if they pass on Presto and pay the extra dollar. Presto users will still feel special.

- Paul

Toronto is barely started with Presto, and at the snail's pace the TTC is going, it will be a while before Presto is widespread. So right now, forcing people to buy a Presto card to get the cheaper fare feels wrong. Out of towners wonder why they are being sold a card they can't use anywhere (an exaggeration I know, but even savvy Presto users have to hunt for the right subway station as yet).
Snail's place? I'm surprised that it's going in so fast. They keep hitting their deadlines early.

Can't use anywhere for a while? Except every downtown subway station other than Wellesley, and all the streetcar lines - plus GO Transit, etc.

A while? Should be on all buses and in all remaining stations in another 12 months.

Change is always difficult to manage, but I don't think putting a different pricing scheme in temporarily is worth the trouble.

Snail's place? I'm surprised that it's going in so fast. They keep hitting their deadlines early.

Not sure about that... maybe you mean the revised deadlines.
originally, the deadline for full adoption by end of 2015. It also planned to have all the subway stations to be presto ready by end of 2013 - something still not happened.

When "deadlines" kept being pushed back, of course you keep "hitting" it early. Here is a historical review of how things folded (bonus being how many years we are behind other cities in the world).
http://news.nationalpost.com/posted...ass-continues-17-years-after-hong-kong-did-it

Hong Kong had it in 1997. Shanghai had it in 1999 (which is distance based even). This is how far behind we are.

Last edited:
I guess Sherbourne and Bay don't count.
Given the simplicity of the math, I'm surprised that guesswork is needed - so I'll guess that this was meant as sarcastic trolling, rather than pointing out that I didn't include those two. Both of which I've cursed myself recently - I ended up carrying an 8-year old through the gates at the eastern entrance of Sherbourne a few weeks ago, as I'd forgot it's not enabled! But despite that I do use both stations regularly, I don't tend to think of them as downtown. I don't really think of Wellesley as downtown, but was trying to avoid a sarcastic comment. I'm sure somewhere, someone's downtown includes Dupont and Rosedale as downtown.

Through really ... surely by the time you get to Bay and Sherbourne, it's quicker to take the Bloor subway to Kipling to get to Pearson?

Not sure about that... maybe you mean the revised deadlines.
originally, the deadline for full adoption by end of 2015. It also planned to have all the subway stations to be presto ready by end of 2013 - something still not happened.
Back in 2012 when TTC agreed to take Presto, TTC had expressed hope that Metrolinx could install much of it by the end of 2015 with a bit running into 2016; but I don't think there was detail. There was certainly never any schedule that called for the subway stations being done by end of 2013 - I think the National Post is making up that the TTC announced in November 2012 that it would be fully installed by 2013 - that's just ludicrous! The same paragraph says TTC vehicles by 2016 - which is still the current plan.

When "deadlines" kept being pushed back, of course you keep "hitting" it early.
Keep? It did slip in the first detail scheduled went into 2017. And TTC pushed them back to meet the original 2016 deadline.

Hong Kong had it in 1997. Shanghai had it in 1999 (which is distance based even). This is how far behind we are.
Things go more quickly in a dictatorship with only one government. So, we are behind on payment cards - but ultimately we are a much greater city than either of those two, because we are a democracy. I'm not sure the validity of comparing Toronto to a corrupt military dictatorship that slaughters it's own people! London is a better comparision - where they are still struggling to get Oyster rolled out for all the services - for example Presto can be used on the Union Pearson, but after 13 years, you can neither use Oyster on Heathrow Express OR Heathrow Connect - not to mention some suburban and even some Thameslink services!

Last edited:

Back