Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

^add in the need to extend platforms (at least one of which is a real challenge to do so) to serve those longer trains that the demand created.

Of course only the terminal stations need extending. It is perfectly feasible the the first 4 cars stop (and have doors open) at Bloor and the last 4 stop at Eglinton.

That said, extending Pearson platform may not be that easy.

This is why I floated my $15 for 15m idea. Cut the price, and cut the stops between. Quick fix done with no capital cost necessary.

Except that it's impossible. Well, the 15 minute part of it.

The current run is scheduled for 25 minutes (and regularly takes 23). Removing 2 stations would not save 8 minutes of time - maybe about 4, but even that would be pushing it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Of course only the terminal stations need extending. It is perfectly feasible the the first 4 cars stop (and have doors open) at Bloor and the last 4 stop at Eglinton.

That said, extending Pearson platform may not be that easy.
I don't even think this is true....if this thing was running between Union and Pearson at a ttc fare (which was the suggestion above...metropas users not needing an additional fare) there would be so many people using it to get to Bloor and Weston that trying to split passengers between cars would be unworkable.

Of course I also think you could solve the Pearson issue this way....there would be so many people going to Bloor and Weston that no one going to Pearson with bags would get on and would likely just revert to cabs....so no need to take the trains there.

Now that GO is (slowly) moving to all-day service on that line, the merits of using UPX as a city transit service are diminished. (No value in coulda, shoulda, woulda about the original design). Filling UPX trains with people paying GO or TTC fares is just an optical artifice as GO will run that much emptier. So leave UPX as the airport almost-express and keep things simple.

The only issue now is whether a x% fare reduction would net a greater than (1/x)% ridership increase.... ie is the price point the right one. If we don't solve that, service cutbacks in off peak hours would save money. Heathrow Express runs on 30 min headways at night. Even 20 mins headways would save money.

- Paul

Why not Uber directly to Pearson? It will cost about $35 in total. For coming back, your plan makes more sense.
You might argue about traffic, but do you really always head to the airport during rush hours? The trip is smooth most of the time based on my experiences.
I thought Uber was blocked from serving the airport?

If you live downtown, why bother with Pearson at all, unless you're going overseas or West coast.

Such a Weird question as if everyone of us only make mini trips for less than two hours. For the past five years 90% of my air travel is more than 7 hours outside North Anerica. Billy Bishop airport is completely useless to me.

Such a Weird question as if everyone of us only make mini trips for less than two hours. For the past five years 90% of my air travel is more than 7 hours outside North Anerica. Billy Bishop airport is completely useless to me.
Exactly...I fly 50-85,000 miles a year and have actually yet to fly from Billy Bishop. If you're going anywhere outside of Eastern Canada or Northeastern US, YTZ isn't that useful. It also doesn't help when you're trapped in AC or another Star Alliance frequent flyer program.

My thoughts also. My flights have all been through Pearson because 1) It offers direct flights to destinations I've been going to, 2) offered the greatest choice in terms of airlines and schedule.

Porter would be useful if any of my trips were short haul, but I don't ever do short haul flights.

From the Union Pearson Express website, at this link:

November 30, 2015 - 12:47 pm
Due to construction work on the John St. bridge in Toronto, on December 1st, service from Union Station to the Pearson Terminal will not operate after 9PM; and the last train to Union will depart Pearson at 9:40PM. Shuttle bus service will be provided from Union and Pearson for the remainder of the day.

Back