Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

And what incentive do they have to reduce the price of UPX when there is a GO service on the corridor for less the half the price? This is supposed to be for the business class right? They have also sank so much money into this, no reason to a take loss, which is fine and I understand that.

Your question: because the Eglinton West extension would cost less then 500 million and it would allow those who don't use the TTC to the airport to do so now because the cab is too much or the transfer to the bloor plus + airport rocket is too long. And they should have had a station at Mount Dennis already... but that's was an oversight yet again.

All I'm saying is this:

If the problem is that UPX fares are too high, and your solution to the problem is to build Eglinton West extension for 1.8 billion dollars (cost from steve munro's site) and a few years of construction. Would it not be a cheaper and faster solution to the problem to spend a fraction of that money subsidizing UPX fares and making it way cheaper, then adding Mt Dennis & Eglinton station?

All I'm saying is reducing UPX fares to a smaller amount and adding one station is way faster and cheaper than doing Eglinton West 11km LRT extension for 1.8 billion.

Having said that, I could see other justifications for doing Eglinton West extension. I just don't think that UPX fares being too high should be the only reason.

capacity, capacity, capacity.

The real "solution" to a cheap access point to the aiport is to build Murray's muchfangled "terminal 2" on the rail corridor with a LINK extension and have the Kitchener GO RER line stop there.

The star has a nice article comparing express airport trains in other cities:

Vancouver- 15km, $9
NYC - Newark: 27km, $13.6
NYC - JFK: 26km, $8.2
Chicago- O'Hare, 30km, $5.4
Chicago - Midway: 17km, $2.5
San Fran - 22km, $9.0
London - 24km, $38.3
Barcelona - $3.1-15
Seoul - $15.5
London sticks out. It's also not comparable. There are three different rail services to Heathrow. There's a non-stop express to Paddington. There's other fast trains that make stops. And then there's the tube.

They've compared the pricing to the non-stop express (Heathrow Express) which is £21. However the service is more comparable to the Heathrow Connects (express that stops) which is less than half the price at only £9.90

By comparison, the subway (tube) fare is only £5 (about $9 Canadian) with Oyster in rush hour, and £3 off-peak.

(and yes, it can cost $9 to ride the subway in London from the end of the line (Zone 6) into the centre of the city (Zone 1). Even if you only go one stop downtown it's £2.20 (CAN$ 4.00) with Oyster (or £4.70 cash - CAN$8.50).

Last edited:
All I'm saying is this:

If the problem is that UPX fares are too high, and your solution to the problem is to build Eglinton West extension for 1.8 billion dollars (cost from steve munro's site) and a few years of construction. Would it not be a cheaper and faster solution to the problem to spend a fraction of that money subsidizing UPX fares and making it way cheaper, then adding Mt Dennis & Eglinton station?

All I'm saying is reducing UPX fares to a smaller amount and adding one station is way faster and cheaper than doing Eglinton West 11km LRT extension for 1.8 billion.

Having said that, I could see other justifications for doing Eglinton West extension. I just don't think that UPX fares being too high should be the only reason.
I simply don't believe Eglinton West would cost 2 billion because Finch West is the same route a couple of kms up and cost only 0.9 billion.

You may want to consult page 5 of this pdf.

http://your32.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/The-Big-Move-Projects-In-Progress-Profiles.pdf

Looks like the bolded part in your post was 100% funded provincially.

I'll be damned. Grr.. WTF did the federal funds go when SNC-Lavalin was expected to build the thing. Did they get pulled when it was transferred to Metrolinx when it was no longer a P3 project? I guess I assumed they got transferred.

The federal contribution to Georgetown was minimal (somewhere around $75M IIRC).

Thank-you for correcting me. More than a little annoyed at Flaherity right now if he pulled funding at the same time as being a cheering squad for the project.

Last edited:
I'll be damned. Grr.. WTF did the federal funds go when SNC-Lavalin was expected to build the thing. Did they get pulled when it was transferred to Metrolinx when it was no longer a P3 project? I guess I assumed they got transferred.

The federal contribution to Georgetown was minimal (somewhere around $75M IIRC).

Thank-you for correcting me. More than a little annoyed at Flaherity right now if he pulled funding at the same time as being a cheering squad for the project.
Hmm. Now that is interesting. The Federal funding for Georgetown South is on page 11.

Why is our media not asking questions about this?

I don't think there ever were funds committed.....I believe they selected a partner in SNC-L and they were expected to come up with a business plan for funding/building/operating the line ...at which time the feds would approve it and commit funds to it......I don't think SNC-L ever got to the stage where they had a plan approved by the feds.

I don't think there ever were funds committed.....I believe they selected a partner in SNC-L and they were expected to come up with a business plan for funding/building/operating the line ...at which time the feds would approve it and commit funds to it......I don't think SNC-L ever got to the stage where they had a plan approved by the feds.
Much of the funding was for upgrade of the corridor ... not the service itself. It was detailed in the Transport Canada funding announcement from 2002 or 2003, I believe.

Much of the funding was for upgrade of the corridor ... not the service itself. It was detailed in the Transport Canada funding announcement from 2002 or 2003, I believe.

ML treats those two projects separately in the pdf. the corridor upgrade (GTS) of $1.2B has some federal money....the UPe specific construction was all provincial.

ML treats those two projects separately in the pdf. the corridor upgrade (GTS) of $1.2B has some federal money....the UPe specific construction was all provincial.
It does ... but only $55.3 million. I'd be interested in where the rest of the $435 million that Allan Rock and David Collenette announced in March 2003 - http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=630929

True, but it was later referenced in Collenette's later announcements that year about Blue 22. http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=79449

Yes.....i guess what the big move pdf linked above shows us what "part of the $385 million....." means. Would be interesting to know where the rest went.....my bet would be corridor acquisitions.....but likely only ML knows.

Back