Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

While they are designed to be convertible most of the sources indicated they will not be converted. It's much easier to procure new sets.

The current number of vehicles they have ordered are borderline minimum to running the system. The most you can do is pull one consist out at a time and send it away for conversion which will take a very long time. It will be a while before you make your way through the entire fleet.

If you refer to sources it would be great to be provided said "magical" sources.

The Metrolinx EA for 2017 conversion to electric of the line speaks of converting the current fleet.

Really disappointed by this announcement, but not entirely surprised. I still think the final UPX fare could end up hitting $30 in order to remain cost-neutral.

To put it into perspective I believe the express from the Hong Kong airport to downtown Costs about 50hkd give or take
That's about $7

Mind you that the mtr is much more established but I'm just saying..........

I sometimes think that we'll never get people on board with transit more than partially just because our agencies keep putting their feet in their mouths.

Seriously? A fee on UPX users for parking? Just could've tacked a fee onto the fare for $2 and labelled it "general expense" or something like that and nobody would care. Instead we get this debacle.

I sometimes think that we'll never get people on board with transit more than partially just because our agencies keep putting their feet in their mouths.

Seriously? A fee on UPX users for parking? Just could've tacked a fee onto the fare for $2 and labelled it "general expense" or something like that and nobody would care. Instead we get this debacle.
People in Etobicoke will be calling for the crosstown to go to terminal 1 in a few years MrsNesbitt. This will cost nearly 4x the price of a GO train trip to Appelby(Burlington) and Whitby.

I think the discussion in this thread is a bit odd. GTTA isn't saying they need to pay for the parking - they're saying they want to make up for lost parking revenue. Do you really think $18+/day doesn't cover the costs of their parking?

What I think is much more likely is that they're making a tidy profit on parking, and they're right to be worried about the UP Express cutting into that. There's enough parking currently for anyone who wants it at the current prices - but with better transit access to the airport, the number who will want it at a given price will go down. And so will their profits on the parking operation.

I think the reason you are hearing about it is because ML want you to be mad about it. They are in the process of finalizing their pricing model and would probably prefer the price they could offer if they did not have to pay the GTAA this +/-$2 per ride. The timing is very interesting....I bet the agreement on the $2 charge was probably signed years ago....before GTAA would allow ML to start construction on the spur and the station....but, now, as they finalize the pricing ML decide to release this information to the public.

I think the discussion in this thread is a bit odd. GTTA isn't saying they need to pay for the parking - they're saying they want to make up for lost parking revenue. Do you really think $18+/day doesn't cover the costs of their parking?

What I think is much more likely is that they're making a tidy profit on parking, and they're right to be worried about the UP Express cutting into that. There's enough parking currently for anyone who wants it at the current prices - but with better transit access to the airport, the number who will want it at a given price will go down. And so will their profits on the parking operation.

Of course GTAA makes a profit renting parking spaces at $25 a day....of course they do....that "profit" from that part of their operation is just part of their overall operating budget and if they anticipate losing a chunk of that revenue they have made the logical decision to charge ML a fee per passenger for using their space to run/operate their trains.

After one trip for curiosity sake, I'm not sure I'll use the UP express train. Almost all my flights are work related, so the cost doesn't matter, but time does. I generally fly off peak hours, and the taxi or TTC from Cabbagetown to Union combined with the train would likely take more time than my car.

Last edited:
Of course then the Eglinton light rail will be extremely overcrowded and the air rail link empty. It will be mostly airport workers and Mississauga office park workers who use it though.

After one trip for curiosity sake, I'm not sure I'll use the UP express train. Almost all my flights are work related, so the cost doesn't matter, but time does. I generally fly off peak hours, and the taxi or TTC from Cabbagetown to Union combined with the train would likely take more time than my car.

Most of my travel is strictly for fun but I'll probably use it from Bloor-Dundas station to catch those slightly early morning flights and late evening arrivals.

Of course then the Eglinton light rail will be extremely overcrowded and the air rail link empty. It will be mostly airport workers and Mississauga office park workers who use it though.

Over crowded on the Western section? You really expect a couple hundred thousand people per day to be going to the airport area from central Toronto via Eglinton LRT?

Also, you've forgotten about the Georgetown line (not a premium service) from Union which ought to have 15 minute or better service before Eglinton opens.

Last edited:

Back