Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Nobody "planned" for 30 minute service on lakeshore, it just got announced one day.

It had been planned to be implimented since at least early 2009. The problem was that there were a number of factors leaning against it, and even early this year there was some thought that it might not start until early next.

Hmm.. am I the only one who thinks it is odd that they are buying 10 new locomotives to simply add 5 new trips?

It would be weird if the units were only to add 5 trips - but they won't. These are in addition to the 11 currently being (or planned to be) converted to Tier 4 units. Once it is all said-and-done, there will be 21 units that will be able to run through Weston. There's a lot of service that can be run with 21 locos.

Odd as 10 are in production now with 3 already built using Tier 3 in place of 4 for the Georgetown line. They will follow the current numbers in order including 666. I guess these are add on and to retire the FP.

Nothing odd about that either. The 10 currently in production will be used system-wide.

As for the 8 F59s still on the roster, no idea what is in store for them.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

That was entirely my point. There is no way they are going to add just 5 trips in service to Georgetown.

I hope you are right....everyone who would "know" however is telling me you are wrong....and the first of those knew locos is not being delivered until sometime in 2016...so I am pretty sure they have no impact in what happens after the last of the $1.2B is spent on the @GTS_project in 2015. :(

they may not implement the new service until 2016. You may be right that opening day will be 5 new trains, but I think it will increase very quickly, especially once the new locos are delivered.

they may not implement the new service until 2016. You may be right that opening day will be 5 new trains, but I think it will increase very quickly, especially once the new locos are delivered.

Are you sure all that those locomotives will be used on Georgetown? Remember that there will also be a new Hamilton station, might be more Lakeshore improvements, and might be a few more trains added to other lines.

Probably a mix truthfully, but remember that 10 locomotives does not mean just 10 new train services. They already have 10 on order that will be delivered earlier than the ones I have referenced that will probably deal with Hamilton AD2W GO and general service increases.

Are you sure all that those locomotives will be used on Georgetown? Remember that there will also be a new Hamilton station, might be more Lakeshore improvements, and might be a few more trains added to other lines.

They can extend the current service by 2 stop on Lakeshore west. They are using current equipment for 1/2 hour service now.

It had been planned to be implimented since at least early 2009. The problem was that there were a number of factors leaning against it, and even early this year there was some thought that it might not start until early next.
They'd been talking about if for long before 2009. 2003 or 2004 at least, when they were doing all the third track work - it was part of what they were telling the community. It was a huge disappointment when it finished in 2008/2009 that they weren't starting the 30-minute service then. And the promise to do this goes back to the early to mid-1970s.

I wouldn't worry about Georgetown. They'll only commit to a bit, because that's what their budget has, but with the infrastructure in place, and with the demand on that line, I bet you there will be a lot more than 5 new departures in the few 2-3 years. Assuming that people don't do something daft and elect a party in power that has a history of cutting GO service like the NDP ... or defunding GO like the Tories. In that case, all bets are off.

The Tories wouldn't dare. The ridings served by GO are either PC already or prime candidates for going PC in the next election. They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.

The Tories wouldn't dare. The ridings served by GO are either PC already or prime candidates for going PC in the next election. They wouldn't shoot themselves in the foot.
They wouldn't dare not expanding GO service? They did exactly that the last time they were in power, and cut provincial funding of GO Transit to 0$, virtually eliminated capital spending, and transferred operation costs to local municipalities.

And Tories not shooting themselves in the foot? They seem to have been very good at that of late, between their calls for the government to fund religious schools and their demand that the Liberals cancel the gas plants.

The Design Review Panel has weighed in on the noise walls and how they are going to kill the Railpath - see http://www.toronto.ca/planning/2013/agendas/pdf/drp_minutes_18sept13.pdf. Good ideas, though I doubt Metrolinx was listening.

Noise Walls
Success of the current Railpath can be partly attributed to the sensory experience that is provided to
users as they move through the corridor. Views are an essential component of this: they provide a
sense of openness, safety, and lead to an appreciation for the various forms of urban life that occur
along its length. Given the importance of these views, Members strongly encouraged proponents of
the Noise Wall to carefully examine their need in all proposed locations, with the objective of installing
them only where they are absolutely necessary as determined by a noise abatement analysis.
In locations where the noise wall is deemed essential, the following suggestions were provided to
help offset their negative impact to trail safety and quality:
- Views outward beyond the trail corridor are essential and should be maintained where possible
- the use of glass panels would help with this
- Noise walls should not be blank concrete alone
- Vegetated screens would be good alternative
- Corten steel panels with "plant pockets" would be a contextually sensitive alternative
- The wall design and expression should be orchestrated to provide a sensory experience for trail
users.
– explore this through varying materials and surfaces, creating coordinated rhythms and
sequences for users as they move along the trail

Back