Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

Agreed
Personally, I think this current Blue 22 scheme should be given its proper burial, and we should move on to a more appropriate solution for the corridor.

I do not see why a LRT line could not be used; it could easily provide both local and express service (using station bypass tracks). The line could also branch off to other lines such as Eglinton and Jane; allowing for two west end “DRL†straight to Union. This would be much more effective for the whole region than airport only service using old refurbished diesel rail cars. and express LRT service should not be any slower than it.

Blue 22 was buried years ago. The name permeates around here only because no other proposal has arisen since its cancellation. The Eglinton Crosstown Line was always intended to terminate at Pearson in spite of another branch heading into Mississauga appearing on official documents. I believe this is the best option for most Torontonians as it serves a local service in additional to just the airport. Not everyone will want Union Stn either and will relie on TTC once they're downtown to get around. Hence why not board the TTC at Pearson to begin with over some pricey, private interest, Point A-B only service ;).

Blue22 and a TTC connection serve completely different markets with very little overlap. People riding Blue22 are now mostly taking taxis or limos to the airport, and a few are driving. People who would take an Eglinton streetcar are the same people who are now taking the Airport Rocket, GO bus, or perhaps getting rides from friends. Most of the Blue22 riders are going to and from offices and hotels in the downtown core, and while some would take the TTC to their onward journey, most would walk or take cabs, much like Heathrow Express, Arlanda Express and other premium airport rail links.

I mention this because what better way to link mass transit to the airport than to utilize the existing infrastructure already available. It appears to be the least intrusive way to link Pearson to the CBD without disrupting service to the Georgetown Line/CN freight cars and would prevent a NIMBY uprising in Weston.
Again, the Weston opposition to Blue22 wasn't a NIMBY response. The Weston group wants a rail route that provides local transit like what Voltz described. They want more trains than they'd have with Blue22. A light rail/regional rail system along the Weston sub would be ideal, IMO. It would serve the entire west end of the city, it's fast, no transfers to get downtown (key for tourists), cheap and fast to build, and no crowding onto the University line.

Again, the Weston opposition to Blue22 wasn't a NIMBY response. The Weston group wants a rail route that provides local transit like what Voltz described. They want more trains than they'd have with Blue22. A light rail/regional rail system along the Weston sub would be ideal, IMO. It would serve the entire west end of the city, it's fast, no transfers to get downtown (key for tourists), cheap and fast to build, and no crowding onto the University line.

I heard awhile ago it was the loss of surface crossings at John and King streets that a number of senior citizens in the area were concerned about regarding Blue 22.

If the best interest of both local residents and airport travellers is to be met, it'd seem an Eglinton subway could meet it. The 79 Scarlett and 59/89 Weston Rd could shuttle Westoners down to the subway within mins. About a LRT line in the corridor is there really enough vacancy to accomodate such a line in excess to GO Geogretown and freught trains?

I heard awhile ago it was the loss of surface crossings at John and King streets that a number of senior citizens in the area were concerned about regarding Blue 22.

If the best interest of both local residents and airport travellers is to be met, it'd seem an Eglinton subway could meet it. The 79 Scarlett and 59/89 Weston Rd could shuttle Westoners down to the subway within mins. About a LRT line in the corridor is there really enough vacancy to accomodate such a line in excess to GO Geogretown and freught trains?
Yes, closing streets was a major concern, and a valid one. Not NIMBY at all. As for the corridor, there's lots of room for more train traffic. It's not even close to being used to its full potential. The best interests of both local and airport travellers would be best met with transit on the rail corridor, not Eglinton. It would provide superior service to both Weston and the airport, and have all the benefits I mentioned earlier.

The Weston Community Coalition doesn't think so and I bet they have better things to do with their time than worry about it without cause.
... oh I don't know - these NIMBY groups do go on ...
though they seem to be fighting the airport link and GO upgrade in general, not Blue 22 in particular.

Yes horrific website - but a great resource if you can struggle through it, and sort out the broken links.

... oh I don't know - these NIMBY groups do go on ...
though they seem to be fighting the airport link and GO upgrade in general, not Blue 22 in particular.

Yes horrific website - but a great resource if you can struggle through it, and sort out the broken links.

They proposed an alternate plan which used subway-style technology.

They want less frequency so the crossings will stay open, or if they want a train they'll be able to ride on.

Bottom line, their first priority is to have the crossings stay open, but a train that they'll be able to use isn't an unreasonable request.

I would support an at-grade EMU running every 15 minutes towards Georgetown with every 2nd train going to the airport - making all regular stops (and some new ones too).

http://www.torontosun.com/News/TorontoAndGTA/2008/02/28/4881583-sun.html
Mitch Stamber, the TTC's manager of service planning, outlined the progress and challenges facing all seven rail lines for transit commissioners yesterday.

Businesses along Sheppard Ave. E. are worried about the impact of construction to their bottom lines while residents along the Waterfront West line are "not enthusiastic" about more transportation links in their area which is already crowded with Lake Shore Blvd. W., the Gardiner as well as GO and CN rail lines, Stambler said.

The project is also looking at potential links to Terminal 1 at Pearson where just 4% of commuters take transit, he said.

"They can't keep building parking," Stambler said. "They are supportive of bringing light rail to the airport. They're also anxious to see the Blue22 (a direct rail link between Pearson and downtown)."

proposed Airport Transportation link

An individual Environmental Assessment (IEA) for the proposed service expansion along GO Transit's Georgetown South train line, and the proposed Airport Transportation link between Lester B. Pearson International Airport and Union Station in downtown Toronto.

More detail go this link:
http://www.georgetownpearsonstudy.ca/georgetownpearsonstudy/index.asp

by georgetown pearson study

I'm not understanding .. I don't see anything new since they submitted the TOR in 2006. Has something happened?

I'm not understanding .. I don't see anything new since they submitted the TOR in 2006. Has something happened?

Aside from it coming back into the news, no. I think the province is waiting until the RTP is done before sending it back to the drawing board. It makes more sense then them waiting to rush it through once the new EA rules come in.

Do the new assessment rules apply for heavy rail? They explicitly excluded subways (which is one of the alternatives, isn't it?), so surely heavy rail is excluded?

Airport rail link may fly
High-level talks could see work begin as early as next year

By JONATHAN JENKINS AND ANTONELLA ARTUSO, SUN MEDIA

For years it's been the little engine that couldn't.

But high-level talks between Queen's Park and SNC-Lavalin are building steam, and construction could begin on a rail link from Union Station to Pearson Airport as early as 2009 -- more than a year after the long-sought after train was originally intended to start running.

A senior provincial government source told Sun Media that sensitive talks are under way with SNC-Lavalin and will continue throughout the summer.

The province is interested in proceeding with the project if negotiations go well.

"We'll be able to move forward," the source said.

If the timeline unfolds as anticipated, an environmental assessment would begin this fall and construction on the actual air-rail link could start as early as late 2009.

Dalton Mc -Guinty's cabinet has instructed Infrastructure Ontario to work with regional planning authority Metrolinx and the company to see if there can be an agreement in principle by this fall.

SNC was pick -ed to design, build, operate and maintain the service in 2003 in a deal that gave it the right to negotiate with Ontario, GO Transit and CN Rail.

The air-rail link is expected to figure prominently in a regional transportation plan being prepared by Metrolinx, originally slated for release at the end of this month but now expected after Labour Day.

The environmental assessment will also consider whe ther a stop should be built in the politically sensitive riding of York South-Weston, Sun Media has learned, a swing seat home to ardent critics of the Union-Pearson train link.

The air-rail link is seen as vital to the McGuinty government's $17-billion Move 2020 transit expansion plan. It's also critical to keeping Toronto a player on the world stage and capturing the 2015 Pan Am Games.

First announced in 2000, the plan to connect Union Station to the international airport 30 km away was intended to plug a massive hole in the regional transportation system -- a link almost every other major global centre has -- and firm up Toronto's ultimately unsuccessful bid for the 2008 summer Olympics, soon to kick off in Beijing.

When SNC-Lavalin was chosen in 2003 to build the line, it dubbed it Blue22 for the length of time the trip would take and pegged the fare at $20. The system was to be running by 2008.

GO Transit and SNC filed terms of reference for an environmental assessment of the scheme, along with other proposals for expansion of service along the Georgetown rail corridor in October 2006.

That document has remain -ed on the environment minister's desk ever since. Greg Ashbee, manager for rail expansion projects with GO Transit, said he would have expected the terms of reference to be approved and the assessment under way by now. "We need to hear soon because we need to expand service in the Georgetown corridor," Ashbee said.

Part of the de -lay could be sensitivity to the complaints of Weston residents resisting rail expansion through the heart of their neighbourhood,

Liberal MPP Laura Albanese, who opposes a high-speed train, said: "I think the fact that the terms of reference have been with the ministry for so long means that they are listening to the concerns of the community."

Now she believes winning a station stop for the air-rail link in Weston will mollify the community's concerns.

"It would slow the train down and it would be just like a GO train," she said. "It could put Weston back on the map."

In the meantime, potential travellers, suppliers and even the airport itself are left waiting on the platform wondering if the train will ever arrive.

Scott Armstrong, spokesman for the Greater Toronto Airport Authority, said work prepping the airport for the link is already done and is just waiting for a train.

"We're hopeful it will go forward, but we're not making any assumptions," he said.

Industrial Rail Services, the Moncton company lined up to refurbish the rail diesel cars SNC hoped to use on the run, said it could have had all the work done in less time than the province has spent reviewing the environmental assessment terms of reference.

"If they're still prepared to use refurbished (diesel cars) we have 25 of them sitting in our backyard," vice-president Chris Evers said. "(But) we would have to have a contract signed before we turn a wrench."

The torturously slow pro gress is also wearing on the federal government, which kicked off the plan when Jean Chretien was prime minister.

"The environmental assessment for this project has been bogged down for two years now, with no sign of any progress," federal Transport Minister Lawrence Cannon said in a December 2007 speech to the Toronto Board of Trade. "The lack of a fast, frequent connection to downtown from the airport in a world-class city such as Toronto is turning into an embarrassment."

His office issued a statement earlier this week reiterating his position and calling the delays "unacceptable".

"We continue to await information from Ontario with regards to the provincial environmental assessment and how the project can be advanced," the statement said.

That process may well be much easier now that Ontario has introduced a new streamlined regime for transit projects, ensuring a decision on approval is made within six months of the assessment being completed.

GO Transit is even considering withdrawing the terms of reference that were originally submitted in 2006 and submitting them again under the new rules, Ashbee said.

OBJECTIONS LIMITED

Besides giving a firm date for a decision, the new rules limit objections against a project to issues of province-wide concern, aboriginal rights or health issues.

"It can't just be 'I don't want trains in my backyard,' " Ashbee said.

Details of the service will be have to be thrashed out in talks now ongoing between the province and SNC.

Halton regional chairman Gary Carr, a board member of Metrolinx, said the agency is looking at three or four possible scenerios for transit improvements that would require different investment commitments.

"There has been talk about the link to the airport -- how would that fit in, how much is that going to cost and what's the time frame," he said.

Because the Metrolinx board brings together representatives from across the GTA region, it can look at transit improvements from a broader perspective, he said.

"For example, if we do do a link to the airport, that could be a hub for buses from Oakville and Milton, and so on ... So we're looking at the whole region, as opposed to in the past when it was just a link between the airport and Toronto."

I believe that there is a place for SNC-Lavalin to participate in the Union-Pearson Rail Link, but I do not believe it is as the operator of an exclusive express service. Further, I do not believe that a good solution for connecting Pearson to the city can be reached by looking at the narrow objective of moving people from Pearson to Toronto. We must look at the transportation needs of the entire corridor.

I believe we should operate a GO-branded regional rail line operating along the Weston Corridor. Trains would leave Union Station every 10 minutes and make all stops to Etobicoke North where the line would split. One branch would leave the main line to provide 20 minute frequencies to the airport, while the other branch would provide 20 minute frequencies to Brampton & Georgetown. With additional stops in Parkdale and Mount Dennis, the airport could be reached in 30 minutes for GO fare. Commuter & intercity trains would also use the corridor to reach Guelph, Kitchener and London, in addition to providing extra capacity during the peak hours, and express trains could also operate on the airport branch if needed. SNC-Lavalin could participate as a contract operator of this service.

Back