Toronto Union Pearson Express | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | MMM Group Limited

nfitz said:
Delaying the line by another few years so it can be electrified is also the height of irresponsibility. And the dreadful lies that the Weston community and Mike Sullivan in particular keep trotting out is shameful.

How would that be the height of irresponsibility? The trains are convertible and the infrastructure is getting built as we speak--everything except the wires and transformer stations. If the province chooses to electrify, this rail link is going to happen, and a slight, limited delay for much better infrastructure for everyone is completely worth it! The ridership on this line is projected to be rather low initially, and there could be more pollution from the diesel trains than cars taken off the roads. The trains aren't going to even be close to full on day one.

The Liberals could use at least one of the NDP pro-clean train seats in the legislature along this corridor right now: Trinity-Spadina, Davenport, or Parkdale-High Park.

Last edited:
Then why were they complaining that John Street would be pedestrians only, rather than letting cars through, even though it's only a 150 metre drive to King Street (or is it King Street that will be pedestrian only ... can't keep track). Though they did quickly drop that one and invented this diesel issue, when they realized they could get more traction with that.

nfitz, I think you are (probably not intenionally) misrepresenting the CTC's approach. They did not go right from "you're blocking our roads" to "this needs to be electrified". You are missing the important "this should provide local service" objection which they dropped when the Weston stop on the UP was added.

The incremental nature of their opposition to the UP is what has me tending towards thinking of them in a bit of NIMBY fashion and has me wondering what the next opposition to the UP will be.

How would that be the height of irresponsibility? The trains are convertible and the infrastructure is getting built as we speak--everything except the wires and transformer stations. If the province chooses to electrify, this rail link is going to happen, and a slight, limited delay for much better infrastructure for everyone is completely worth it! The ridership on this line is projected to be rather low initially, and there could be more pollution from the diesel trains than cars taken off the roads. The trains aren't going to even be close to full on day one.

The Liberals could use at least one of the NDP pro-clean train seats in the legislature along this corridor right now: Trinity-Spadina, Davenport, or Parkdale-High Park.

I think, other than just good PR, the Pan Am games is a good operational test of the line....it is likely that getting it opened by then is a real goal and a delay to electrify may make them miss that.

Thing is is that I don't think the Weston crowd were at all anti-transit NIMBYS. The reality is that the Weston Community wants transit but realize this is not a transit service. They were not asking for an end to the UP Link but rather having it as a transit service for all Torontonians.

It IS a transit service but it is an express transit service and it comes with improvements required to improve the GO rail service. The line of thinking that would say this is not a transit service fits with a subway or nothing mentality.

They didn't want less service but rather much more service but they didn't want the pollution and noise of a train that only the business people who can use it as a tax right-off will be able to afford.

Everyone who is an airline passenger going to the airport can afford it if they want to. It costs less than the tax collected on an airline ticket. They just don't want to pay that fare because they aren't in that much of a rush.

Even Metrolinx acknowledges that this is not a transit service for the masses because if it was they certainly wouldn't refer to the riders as "guests". Remember with enhanced GO there are going to be all diesel trains going thru Weston at the rate of one every 4 minutes.

Yes, and they will admit the Lakeshore line isn't local transit either. Each form of transit has its purpose and for the purpose of getting consultants, executives, and tourists from downtown to the airport the express train is the best way to do it. I would have preferred it stop at a monorail station on the rail corridor or a rail diversion rather than spur but that isn't what was decided. The GO service that would push trains to one every 4 minutes would be the more affordable trains that supposedly they want. Those are also the trains that pollute more.

I ussually have limited empathy for people who bitch about trains when they choose to live next to a rail track but when the debates comes down to health then that is different.

It isn't different at all. If VIA was increasing service on the line it would also be diesel and not a local transit service. They are against anything that doesn't support their needs perfectly. That is a NIMBY.

GO could easily electrify atleast the UP Link within a couple years and there is absolutely NO excuse to not atleast electrify the spur portion now under construction. To not do it while it is still under construction is the height of irresponsibility and incredibly poor planning. Trying to add it later will cost much more than if they do it as part of the original construction.

What would be the point of that? It would spend a lot of money on an electrical substation and wires that would go unused until the Georgetown line was electrified. Why would installing poles, hanging electrical wire, and building substations be substantially different when trying to do it at the same time as bridges, tunnels, and trackbed is laid? It seems like one construction activity would get in the way of the other. Wouldn't installing electrical be near the last task of building an electrified ROW?

The only reason the spur is not being electrified now is because Metrolinx specifically doesn't want it to be.

Yes, because that is a more expensive project. The only reason the province is not building an Eglinton subway, Sheppard subway, SRT replacement as a subway, DRL subway, and Yonge Extension subway right now and instead waiting until later is because they don't want to. They don't want to because that changes the current budget.

By having the spur electrified it would add tremendous pressure to electrify the rest of the UP Link to say nothing of the entire Kitchener Line. Metrolinx is not electfifying the line now because it means they can put it off indefinately by saying it's under their "25 Year Plan" which is an affront to Torontonians.

Putting it in a 25 year plan and telling Torontonians it is coming also puts pressure, I think more pressure than electrifying a stub like a white elephant with no statement about network electrification.

If Toronto was to start to play hardball by using local laws and artificial delays along the route to ensure the line would not be running by the Pan Am games, how many HOURS would it take for Metrolinx is all of a sudden "find" the money to electrify the UP Link and all of a sudden realize it won't take 25 years but rather 25 months?

The air link would likely be cancelled or moved to the 15 year plan much the same as how Transit City was pushed out since there were obstacles thrown up by the current administration. The Air Rail link is already significantly more than the original budget due to changes at Strachan and Weston. If the auditor didn't like the look of the project now the auditor would really disapprove after throwing more money in for electrification with minimal benefits.

Last edited:
I guess that would be important if this was an English 101 forum as opposed to a transit discussion! ssiguy2 may have made a few typos/spelling errors.....can you tell me/us if you really think it had any impact on the ability to understand what he was saying? Is that really how you want your first posting here to be recalled? You really took the time to sign up for this forum just to point out spelling errors?

Really, so proper spelling and grammar aren't important? Only if this were an English 101 forum? I see. Didn't realize you made the rules on what was important or what I could comment on. So, four spelling mistakes in one sentence should be overlooked, but how many should there be before someone is allowed to comment? Hmmm. Five? Six? Ten?

Yes, that is exactly how I want my first posting here to be recalled. Do people actually care about that? Are we going to look back in ten years and celebrate my first posting? Probably not. Then again, quite possibly.

You obviously don't pay attention to details; I joined in October (but I've been a lurker much longer than that, not that it matters). Not sure how you made the leap that I joined in October to point out a spelling error 2 months later in December. Probably because that's exactly what happened. Ah, linear thought.

Anyway, you can relax. I simply thought it amusing. I guess you didn't. No accounting for taste. As you were. :)

(Oh, and I hope my second posting here is just as memorable as my first. I'm expecting a plaque.)

nfitz, I think you are (probably not intenionally) misrepresenting the CTC's approach. They did not go right from "you're blocking our roads" to "this needs to be electrified". You are missing the important "this should provide local service" objection which they dropped when the Weston stop on the UP was added.
If I recall, it was about 3 days between the John street complaints, and the sudden "diesel is going to kill our kids" NIMBY tirade.

Yes, there is this local service thing ... which I really don't know how to address, as it's a side issue. The federal government ponied up nearly a $billion to fund the necessary upgrades to provide an airport express service. If you put in a local subway-like service instead like what Weston wants, then you wouldn't have the airport express service.

The incremental nature of their opposition to the UP is what has me tending towards thinking of them in a bit of NIMBY fashion and has me wondering what the next opposition to the UP will be.
The next opposition will probably be complaints that Metrolinx plans to cancel UPE trains stopping at Weston when they discover the ridership between Weston and Pearson is near-zero, and comprised primarily of those transferring from the Georgetown GO trains, and they deserve to ride the nice cushy premium trains with no extra $ instead of the every 30-minute GO Train.

If I recall, it was about 3 days between the John street complaints, and the sudden "diesel is going to kill our kids" NIMBY tirade.

Yes, there is this local service thing ... which I really don't know how to address, as it's a side issue. The federal government ponied up nearly a $billion to fund the necessary upgrades to provide an airport express service. If you put in a local subway-like service instead like what Weston wants, then you wouldn't have the airport express service.

The next opposition will probably be complaints that Metrolinx plans to cancel UPE trains stopping at Weston when they discover the ridership between Weston and Pearson is near-zero, and comprised primarily of those transferring from the Georgetown GO trains, and they deserve to ride the nice cushy premium trains with no extra $ instead of the every 30-minute GO Train.

If that is next complaint it is a long way out....as it will be a long time before there is an every 30 minute GO train on that corridor. :(

If that is next complaint it is a long way out....as it will be a long time before there is an every 30 minute GO train on that corridor. :(
Valid point. Your right, the chances of them not Chicken Littling until 2016 is pretty low. I'm sure they'll come up with something ... though now that they've had to cough up real $ payments to Metrolinx because of their baseless legal challenges, perhaps they'll lie low for a bit.

So, four spelling mistakes in one sentence should be overlooked, but how many should there be before someone is allowed to comment? Hmmm. Five? Six? Ten?

One Billion. Unless someone is arguing they are a spelling knight, it really has little to do with the subject and only serves to highlight that there is little but ad-hominem left to contribute.

One Billion. Unless someone is arguing they are a spelling knight, it really has little to do with the subject and only serves to highlight that there is little but ad-hominem left to contribute.
I disagree. If one is consistently making the same mistakes (as opposed to a simple typo) then I think one is being inconsiderate and rude NOT to point out the mistake. By not pointing out the mistake you are denying the person the opportunity to learn from one's mistakes, and that by far is far worse crime than pointing out the mistakes.

What other reason is there to debate here, but to learn. And how better a way than to learn from one's mistakes.

I'm quite sure that any reasonable person looks forward to having their mistakes pointed out to them, so that they can have the pleasure of learning something!

What then is WCC's position on the VIA trains headed to Kitchener and Sarnia etc (well for the time being) as these do not provide local service to Weston and run through their neighborhood.

I don't think so. This forum is not twitter or an instant message service for kids. If you want to be taken seriously you should put together something readable and well thought out. I think comments like "The tech blows. ROTFL." really don't deserve to be read for example. If you aren't putting enough thought into your position to get spelling right then the idea being communicated is probably equally not well thought out.

What then is WCC's position on the VIA trains headed to Kitchener and Sarnia etc (well for the time being) as these do not provide local service to Weston and run through their neighborhood.
Is my memory faulty, or did VIA trains used to stop in Weston? Though I haven't used the line as much since the Mulroney cuts.

I find Torontonians in general are pretty much anti-elevated rail, the SRT debacle will do that. Also the 15 mile portion will only be phase one of a 40 mile plan.

I am not sure about this.

I did not hear any complaints about the ECLRT being elevated at Black Creek Drive, although I was not at the meeting. I do not think it was even offered as a solution for ECLRT between Don Mills and Kennedy.

Back