Toronto U of T: Robarts Library Renovations & Robarts Common | ?m | ?s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

We have to remember as well that Robarts was *not* constructed as an open-access library. It was created as a limited-access, insular and self-contained facility designed for the needs of graduate students only. My understanding was that when it was conceived and constructed, it was thought that the research needs of undergraduates would be taken care of by the individual college libraries, and Robarts would serve graduate students. Clearly that didn't happen. Even well into the early 2000s this legacy was still there as some college libraries would not cooperate with UTL's inter-library loan system and I had to haggle and beg with librarians elsewhere to get materials transferred to UTSC, or even Vic and UC. The internal layout of Robarts still reflects that to some degree: closed stacks, unused vacuum tubes and dumb waiters that runner clerks would use to pull materials requested on the main floor. It was really over a long period of time, and in increments, that the library was opened up not only for access above the fifth floor, but around it as well. The building has been under some sort of renovation/reconfiguration since I began as an undergrad in 1993. Not sure we're ever going to circle that square peg entirely.

We have to remember as well that Robarts was *not* constructed as an open-access library. It was created as a limited-access, insular and self-contained facility designed for the needs of graduate students only. My understanding was that when it was conceived and constructed, it was thought that the research needs of undergraduates would be taken care of by the individual college libraries, and Robarts would serve graduate students. Clearly that didn't happen. Even well into the early 2000s this legacy was still there as some college libraries would not cooperate with UTL's inter-library loan system and I had to haggle and beg with librarians elsewhere to get materials transferred to UTSC, or even Vic and UC. The internal layout of Robarts still reflects that to some degree: closed stacks, unused vacuum tubes and dumb waiters that runner clerks would use to pull materials requested on the main floor. It was really over a long period of time, and in increments, that the library was opened up not only for access above the fifth floor, but around it as well. The building has been under some sort of renovation/reconfiguration since I began as an undergrad in 1993. Not sure we're ever going to circle that square peg entirely.
Yes, Robarts was built at a time when many universities had 'research libraries' which were not open to undergrads and in many cases the stacks were for staff only and a book had to be requested and retrieved by 'runners'. McGill University's McLennan Library was built at about the same time (1967-1969) and was, for a short while, run this way with vacuum tubes and book elevators. It too has been undergoing almost constant 'upgrading' ever since.

20190802_165548.jpg
20190802_165443.jpg

I had no problems whatsoever using it as an undergrad. Its collection was incredible.

For some reason, it feels really lightly-built- is it just reading and gathering spaces?

A small note re the philanthropy behind the building. Mrs. Katherine Morrison, who, together with her late husband Russell, were the primary donors for this addition, died this past week. Their donations to the university approached $40,000,000 and also made several other new structures at the U of T possible. Philanthropists can still help shape our urban fabric.

Back