Toronto U of T: Robarts Library Renovations & Robarts Common | ?m | ?s | U of T | Diamond Schmitt

man, i love this building so much, and glad that the intervention is on the deactivated/disused loading side (silly 1970s, why would a library need a loading dock anyway?). another rendering from the u of t fundraising site:

qypgWdA.jpg

The cornerstone of the second phase will be the construction of a major new addition called the Robarts Common. The five-storey structure will add 1,222 work and study spaces to Robarts, bringing the total number of spaces to 6,027. The Common will feature study areas to accommodate the more social and group aspects of learning and increasing collaboration and teamwork in higher education.

The south entrance to the Common will feature an atrium with a café, flexible seating and information terminals. The café will open to a new outdoor plaza and park, a wonderful public space with additional seating for student activities and special events.

The Common will attain a silver rating according to the standards of Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED)

http://boundless.utoronto.ca/initiatives/robarts-revitalization/

Last edited:
man, i love this building so much, and glad that the intervention is on the deactivated/disused loading side (silly 1970s, why would a library need a loading dock anyway?). another rendering from the u of t fundraising site:

Actually I think if you look at the PDF report posted earlier, you'd notice the loading lock is still there - and I can see why they'd need one, given the presence of food services in the library, for example - or that a significant part of the U of T collection in now stored offsite in Downsview.

AoD

Generally buildings need a way to deal with garbage/recycling and the movement of furniture into and out of the building. ;)

130 ST GEORGE ST
Ward 20 - Tor & E.York District
►View All Properties

Robarts Common is a five-storey, 1200 seat reading room pavilion located on the west side of Robarts Library at the University of Toronto. The building spans over the existing Huron Street loading dock for the main library, which will remain in use after the pavilion is complete. The GFA for Robarts Common is 4304m2, and it is linked to the existing 96,244 m2 library by a four-storey bridge. Roughly 50% of the roof is extensive green roof. A new plaza connects the corner of Huron and Harbord to the entrance of the new building (at the south end of the pavilion).
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 15 135351 STE 20 SA Apr 1, 2015 Under Review

http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentAp...icationsList.do?action=init&folderRsn=3722407

" A new plaza connects the corner of Huron and Harbord to the entrance of the new building (at the south end of the pavilion)."

I hope they keep the cherry blossom trees...

We have added a pile of renderings including a number of close-ups to the dataBase file, and there's a front page story up here.

Jesus that's horrific. Was there no attempt at all to match the colour and design (e.g., the horizontal indentations) of the original?

Jesus that's horrific. Was there no attempt at all to match the colour and design (e.g., the horizontal indentations) of the original?

Looks pretty close to the original...

Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.24.26 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.24.26 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-24 at 12.24.26 PM.jpg
    721.6 KB · Views: 549
Last edited by a moderator:

Back