Toronto U of T: Landscape of Landmark Quality | ?m | 1s | U of T | MVVA

The best way I can describe that gazebo is that it looks like a low resolution texture from early 3D video games. Not sure if I'm a fan, it's kind of ugly TBH. Would've preferred something a bit more traditional to better suit the campus architecture.

The best way I can describe that gazebo is that it looks like a low resolution texture from early 3D video games. Not sure if I'm a fan, it's kind of ugly TBH. Would've preferred something a bit more traditional to better suit the campus architecture.
Why couldn't it have been made out of wood? I think that would have been nicer.

I walked by yesterday without taking pictures. The grass on the front campus looks yellowish/brownish. I know that's common in the winter, but it's been mild so far and lots of grasses in the city are still green. I hope that's not a sign that it's dying /not going to survive its first winter.

Why couldn't it have been made out of wood? I think that would have been nicer.
I didn't show it, but there is a fire pit at the floor of the gazebo. It looks like a gas fire pit, but even if it's not I'm not sure if having a wooden structure over a fire pit would be safe

The point is to NOT fit the campus architecture. The gazebo is meant as an Indigenous ceremony meeting spot, hence the fire pit, native plants, and traditional names written on plaques.

The point is to NOT fit the campus architecture. The gazebo is meant as an Indigenous ceremony meeting spot, hence the fire pit, native plants, and traditional names written on plaques.

I'm fairly sure he's aware of the design intent; he's merely disagreeing.

I likewise have found this project disappointing in many respects. First, I opposed the inclusion of parking; second the light fixtures are terrible and don't match any of those used in front of UC or Hart House or on King's College Road.

The benches don't fit the ethos of that area of campus either.

To me, unfortunately, the whole thing feels very amateur'ish.

The same way they messed up the restoration work inside UC, in a manner I will frankly call vandalism.

I'm fairly sure he's aware of the design intent; he's merely disagreeing.

I likewise have found this project disappointing in many respects. First, I opposed the inclusion of parking; second the light fixtures are terrible and don't match any of those used in front of UC or Hart House or on King's College Road.

The benches don't fit the ethos of that area of campus either.

To me, unfortunately, the whole thing feels very amateur'ish.

The same way they messed up the restoration work inside UC, in a manner I will frankly call vandalism.
And I disagree with you both. As this was not meant to be a reno job like Hart House, but its own thing. I can’t attest to the quality of build here…as I have to see it in person, but I think it should be treated for what it is, IMO.

Today. Look at the difference between the grass on Hart House Circle vs Front Campus. Or even between the older and newer turf (south end) on Front Campus. Should we be worried?

IMG_1137.jpeg

IMG_1138.jpeg

IMG_1139.jpeg

I don’t think indigenous people built gazebos out of steel though. They would have used wood, is my guess.

Awesome to see work around the parking garage entry progressing. The guards look good and the landscape should fill in nicely around it….making it fade away.
IMG_6874.jpeg

It would’ve been great to see the sidewalks under the bridge widened with designated bike lanes. The two lanes are almost wide enough for four cars.

IMG_6876.jpeg

...I assume they're leaving that bridge for the QP do over whenever that gets rolling?

There is hoarding and demolition happening on the east side of Spadina either at Glen Morris or Washington. Does anyone know what is being done? Thanks!

Back