Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

From about 15 minutes ago:

The initial foundation (and good approximation of the floorplate) for the West Tower (45s) is done:
6862957440_ee30ecb020_c.jpg

And the initial placement of the base for the East Tower (55s) is in:
7009086733_1eeff96f00_c.jpg

I wonder why so much rebar? It's at least three feet thick. Perhaps it's due to the poor soil condition.

URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/545/img0578e.jpg/]
img0578e.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
The hole the rebar frames are going in is about 2.5m deep. There is rebar under them and will have more rebar framing place on top of these frames. The frames are 12.5m long.

The frames are being built off site and ship to site, as I watch one been off loaded this week and have a photo of it.

This is not the only building seeing these thick slabs.

You beat me to it.

I counted 25 concrete trucks double parked on Bay and into St Mary's. A construction worker told me they are pouring 310 truckloads of concrete TODAY! It must be the "pad".

This has been huge. They started prepping the concrete pumping trucks at 6 am, waking my baby (I thought construction wasn't supposed to start until 7 am?). They started pouring at about 7 am, and now at 7:45 pm, they are still going, although one of the four pumps left a bit after 7.

They have another pad to do that will probably be ready for next Saturday.

Is this activity standard for a 50 stoy building, or is there something unusual about the foundations? I have never in my life seen 16 cement trucks in a convoy before.

Is this activity standard for a 50 stoy building, or is there something unusual about the foundations? I have never in my life seen 16 cement trucks in a convoy before.

Sounds like a floating slab foundation (I have not seen the U Condos site myself recently). Not that common in Toronto - from what I have seen, the foundations for most buildings here are either in bedrock, or use piers. Another complex with a floating slab foundation is the Minto Quantum project at Yonge and Eglinton - same process, a huge concrete pour on a Saturday. Multiple batching plants were used to supply the concrete, and the city provided special traffic control in the area, to get the trucks in and out of the site on a timely basis.

Thank you, that was interesting. The floating slab might have been required because of the underground stream. Or possibly (a pure guess) the Church might not have great foundations and its proximity might have required a more delicate approach.

Back