Toronto U Condominiums | 183.79m | 56s | Pemberton | a—A

I'm really looking forward to these! Here's hoping the fritting makes more of a difference on the glazing than it did at MLG (where it barely makes a difference on the towers). Different architects though...

Speaking of X2, U condos is pretty much at the same stage. It will be interesting to see how the digs compare. U is two towers with town homes, X2 is a lowrise connected to a highrise but they are both comparable sites to excavate.

from today
20110326223.jpg

20110326222.jpg

why haven't they really "excavated" yet? i mean, i understand site prep takes a while, but it seems like it has been a while since they started....

why haven't they really "excavated" yet? i mean, i understand site prep takes a while, but it seems like it has been a while since they started....

Hahaha...hey they got to make sure they salvage every bit of top soil they can, that stuff cost money...anyways i think once they start the big dig it will move fairly quick...cant wait to see the impact these two towers will have in the midtown skyline.

New houses. They put a layer of topsoil down before they lay sod. Sometimes the so called "topsoil" should be used for fill, but the new
homeowners don't know if the new sod is already down. It's worth lots of cash.

Who do they sell top soil to? Hard to believe there is much demand for dirt.

It is illegal to dump topsoil - it is rarer than you think. They are required to separate topsoil and either store it onsite until it is used or relocate it to a location where topsoil can be used.

yeah ^^^ for sure. this ain't density to me, you won't find these kinda open spaces in nyc/chicago.
i'll call this an ugly picture of toronto (nothing to do with you android! :D), not what i want tourists to see when they walk into the city.

You think tourists would rather see bland glass boxes than historic stone buildings? And you think those are ugly? I love skyscrapers too, but that area is one of the most beautiful in the city.

Though to be fair, that *isn't* a terribly flattering aspect--reminding us of how unimpressive the backside of St Basil's is...

yeah ^^^ for sure. this ain't density to me, you won't find these kinda open spaces in nyc/chicago.
i'll call this an ugly picture of toronto (nothing to do with you android! :D), not what i want tourists to see when they walk into the city.

The photo in question shows many distinct periods of architecture in Toronto. The U condo site itself borders upon, or is very close to the beautiful buildings of U of T, the ROM, Queen's Park and the Provincial Legislative buildings, multiple hotels, modern hospitals, sleek skyscrapers as a back-drop, etc... This, and other more modern views of the city, are exactly what I want tourists to see. That is (in part) why so many people choose to visit Toronto.

As for New York and Chicago, both have wonderful open spaces that contribute greatly to the cities overall image. Think Greenwich Village for one. I enjoy seeing new skyscrapers rise, however no well-planned and liveable city should be naught but wall-to-wall glass towers.

Anyway, unless you buy into U Condos, this particular view will disappear in a year or two which, I suppose, will make some people happy.

i should be in class! :p
i just find that the composition of the buildings don't work with eachother. something looks off to me when i see that pic, the way the buildings work with eachother.. but that's just my opinion,
and by "open spaces" i mean open spaces with low-rises. Yonge-street for example, has a lot of low-rise shops/retail for a prime downtown street, and honestly, a lot of the time it doesn't even feel like the downtown core,
and i don't mean to say that tourists should be looking at glass boxes (like bay adelaide), but toronto's got some great buildings (scotia plaza, commerce court north, etc) and they shouldn't be looking at a huge empty lot with an empty background.
and in ShonTron's pic:
a lot of people would think the bustling downtown ends here, looks very small townish:
5572590633_ceb494ffd3_b.jpg

i'm glad this parking lot is going, but weary on the podium.

Back