Toronto TYSSE: York University Station | ?m | 1s | TTC | Foster + Partners

CP24 is saying it is a TTC construction site where the crane collapsed.

From the pics that I've seen it looks like some sort of rotary drilling rig toppled over too.

1 guy is still trapped...surgical team from sunnybrook on route...wow. Poor guy, hope they get him out.

Last edited:
Crane collapses at York U. TTC station site

An industrial crane collapsed at the TTC subway construction site on York University on Tuesday afternoon and police report multiple injuries with one possible fatality.

The crane collapsed at York Blvd. and John Gillies St., just west of Keele St.

An air ambulance was brought in to help Toronto medics deal with at least five casualties with one reported to be seriously hurt and another reported to be vital signs absent.

Rescue crews were working frantically to free at least one trapped worker.
http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/11/crane-collapses-at-york-u-ttc-station-site

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2011/10/11/toronto-york-university-crane635.html

An industrial crane collapsed at the TTC subway construction site on York University on Tuesday afternoon and police report multiple injuries with one possible fatality.
Oh dear ... not good at all.

I guess this is what happens when you pick the lowest bidder. Who was contractor? How does TTC vet contractors for H&S. It's tempting to blame the contractor, but of course the TTC has ultimate responsibility for safety.

I guess this is what happens when you pick the lowest bidder. Who was contractor? How does TTC vet contractors for H&S. It's tempting to blame the contractor, but of course the TTC has ultimate responsibility for safety.

According to the G&M:

The new York subway station is a joint venture of Spanish-based construction and engineering firms Obrascón Huarte Lain and FCC Construcción. Those firms are responsible for all safety measures at the site as well as any subcontracting, Mr. Ross said.

Both Madrid-based firms?

I guess if we don't used the lowest tender, we will be paying through the nose and still have problems.

From what I saw and heard, the ground gave way under the drilling machine. Then it could be operator error when moving the rig.

Even with H&S on site, dumb things happen for various reason. I have seen TTC crews do some real dumb things on various projects by crew with years of experience.

Its a sad day on any site when a life is lost or a major accident takes place.

I guess if we don't used the lowest tender, we will be paying through the nose and still have problems.

From what I saw and heard, the ground gave way under the drilling machine. Then it could be operator error when moving the rig.

Even with H&S on site, dumb things happen for various reason. I have seen TTC crews do some real dumb things on various projects by crew with years of experience.
Many companies will vet subcontractors for Health & Safety, and will not hire those that have poor records. It's considered as important as performance history for many companies.

But sometimes, no matter what you do, stuff happens. I may have jumped the gun a bit. I guess time will tell.

Its a sad day on any site when a life is lost or a major accident takes place.
It is. Especially when it's preventable. What is very disturbing though is to see Brad Ross being quoted in the media as saying Health & Safety is completely the responsibility of the contractor. This hasn't been the case in the construction industry for years. The Oil & Gas sector in particular are extremely picky about the Health and Safety record of their contractors, and over the years everyone else is moving in that direction.

I'm shocked that Brad Ross is saying that Health and Safety is nothing to do with TTC. It smells of a systemic failure of Health and Safety at TTC - and it's the kind of attitude that kills people. Hopefully Brad Ross is woefully misinformed, and Health and Safety at TTC isn't that out-of-control. And if he's right, they need to take their heads out of their asses, and stop worrying about people walking on escalators and sweat the big stuff.

Many companies will vet subcontractors for Health & Safety, and will not hire those that have poor records. It's considered as important as performance history for many companies.

But sometimes, no matter what you do, stuff happens. I may have jumped the gun a bit. I guess time will tell.

It is. Especially when it's preventable. What is very disturbing though is to see Brad Ross being quoted in the media as saying Health & Safety is completely the responsibility of the contractor. This hasn't been the case in the construction industry for years. The Oil & Gas sector in particular are extremely picky about the Health and Safety record of their contractors, and over the years everyone else is moving in that direction.

I'm shocked that Brad Ross is saying that Health and Safety is nothing to do with TTC. It smells of a systemic failure of Health and Safety at TTC - and it's the kind of attitude that kills people. Hopefully Brad Ross is woefully misinformed, and Health and Safety at TTC isn't that out-of-control. And if he's right, they need to take their heads out of their asses, and stop worrying about people walking on escalators and sweat the big stuff.

As an Engineer that works in the construction industry, I would have to say Brad Ross is only partly correct. While I agree that health and safety is completely the responsibility of the Contractor, the TTC, as the Owner/Managers of the project, will share in the negative outcome of this situation. First and foremost the loss of a life on any construction project is devastating, but then there will be the investigations, possible legal action and subsequent delays.

Day to day operations on site are controlled by the Contractor, something went wrong (could be any number of things) and something horrible happened. The TTC is probably in no legal position to comment further. I think it is less an attitude with the TTC, because I personally know they take Health and Safety very seriously, but more to do with Brad Ross trying to say something quick and not have all the attention directed towards the TTC.

it wasnt even a crane that collapsed... it was a boring machine that fell sideways. Lots of questions for this accident.

Having watched the drilling machines operate on the Vaughan Metropolitan Centre site, when I compare my observations with the wreckage photos at York University, I see a number of differences, so I wonder whether there are different operating philosophies at the two sites.

First off, let me describe a drilling machine to the best of my ability. Two large hydraulic pistons are mounted between the machine's main body and the drilling rig post. These pistons are adjusted so that the drill is plumb. The rig post has two functions: it holds a set of pulleys at the top that run a cable down to the drill shaft, and it holds a hydraulic-powered drilling motor that can be positioned anywhere along the height of the rig post. The drill shaft is a hollow hexagonal-cross-sectioned metal tube that telescopes into two sections. Various styles of drill heads and buckets can be attached to the shaft. The holes they're drilling are lined with metal tubes that I estimate have a two-foot diameter. The drill motor has a cylindrical sleeve that is used to force the tube into the earth. Simply stated, they bore down a few feet, then they push the tube down while turning the tube, and repeat the process till they get to the required depth.

At Vaughan, I have never seen the drill motor hoisted more than 20 feet up the 60-foot post. (These measurements are estimates.) The wreckage photo shows the drill motor is hoisted to the very top of the post. This position means that the machine's centre of gravity was the highest from the ground that it could possibly be.

At Vaughan, they insert 15 feet of tubing at a time. Therefore, at any point in time, there is never more than, maybe, 17 feet of tubing protruding from the ground. The wreckage photo shows an extremely long tube that fell with the machine, about 50 feet long. This suggests that at York U they pre-assembled the tube on the ground before attempting to bore it into the ground. Such a large tube will also raise the centre of gravity and create lots of wind resistance. (Was it windy that day?)

The wreckage photo shows the left hydraulic piston badly bent. The question I have is whether that bend occurred before or after the fall. The forces from the post hitting the excavator and the ground could have caused that bend, so we cannot rule that out. But, it is also possible that torque forces from the drill motor exceeded design because, perhaps, the drill got seized on a hard rock. The drill motor can run both clockwise, to drill, and counter-clockwise, to loosen the drill shaft for extraction. A clockwise drilling motion, suddenly seizing, would cause the whole machine to rotate counter-clockwise and could cause the hydraulic piston to bend the way it shows in the photo. The counter-clockwise motion would also move the whole machine's center of gravity far enough so that the machine tipped.

Happened to be at York U today and got a couple of shots of the station construction on the commons...

IMG-20120620-00189.jpg
IMG-20120620-00188.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20120620-00189.jpg
    IMG-20120620-00189.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG-20120620-00188.jpg
    IMG-20120620-00188.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 665
Knowing nothing about construction, I feel a little disappointed to see so little evidence of building after so long. Is my disappointment ill-founded?

Knowing nothing about construction, I feel a little disappointed to see so little evidence of building after so long. Is my disappointment ill-founded?

Don't forget since the boring is tunneling under everything you will not see anything above. Only where the stations are will you see heavy construction.

However, if you go on Sheppard Avenue West going west from Allen Road, you will see the tunnel liners on the south side and the dirt being removed from the tunneling machines. Then go north on Keele towards Steeles Avenue, then go west on Steeles to Jane, then north on Jane to Highway 7, go west on Highway 7. You'll see bits and pieces of construction at different stages.

Here's an updated picture of the York U station, which seems to be coming along nicely.
IMG-20120827-00261.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20120827-00261.jpg
    IMG-20120827-00261.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 705

Back