Toronto Toronto Zoo Community Conservation Campus | 13.5m | 2s | Toronto Zoo | Zeidler

All true, a few other Ontario natives that people don't necessarily equate w/our province: Elk, Caribou, Bald Eagles, Cougars.

We also had Timber Rattlesnakes at one point, in addition to Massassaugas
Any Bob the cats? Wasn't quite sure on that one.

Polar bears is always the one that amazes me- makes you realize just how massive this province is.
We also border an ocean. Just the one a lot of folks likely don't think about.

Last edited:
Any Bob the cats? Wasn't quite sure on that one.

Yes, Ontario does have Bobcats.

They're fairly common in the southern portion of Northern Ontario.

Just for everyone's benefit, what most people call lynx are in fact a different cat:

Lynx is Lynx canadensis

Where Bobcat is Lynx rufus

While on that walk, I noticed the guideway was in decent enough shape where it was not severed. There are parts near the bus loop that are noticeably severed while there are parts in the woods that have not been maintained in years.

In all honesty, they would likely need to replace the guideway if they put a mag-lev in. It is very narrow and still has the electrical boxes lining it despite the track having been removed. I doubt they would even be able to fit the trains in there given the size difference.

There are also a number of bridges over the Rouge River that have not been maintained in years. Later today when I get home I will post pictures.

As promised, here are the pictures of the Guideway from the 2013 Janes Walk in the Toronto Zoo.

DSCN0543.JPG
DSCN0544.JPG
DSCN0545.JPG
DSCN0546.JPG
DSCN0547.JPG
DSCN0548.JPG
DSCN0549.JPG
DSCN0550.JPG
DSCN0551.JPG
DSCN0552.JPG
DSCN0553.JPG
DSCN0554.JPG
DSCN0555.JPG
DSCN0556.JPG
DSCN0558.JPG

Thanks! It is such a waste to leave it in this unused state.

AoD

Most welcome.

I found it in remarkably good condition though I suspect there are reasons relating to SOGR that prevent it from being used. Those bridges have likely not been properly inspected in years and I suspect they may have hidden defects that prevent them from being safe for heavy vehicles.

Last edited:
I went to the zoo Saturday with my spouse and a friend and quite enjoyed it. With COVID, though, some of the animals – specifically the pygmy hippo and some of the primates – were separated more than usual from visitors.

The Canadian Domain was completely closed, which is unusual, even in winter (based on previous pre-pandemic winter visits). Though we got to see the snowy owl at Col. Sam Smith Park this winter, it wasn’t visible at the zoo this time.

The Canadian Domain was completely closed, which is unusual, even in winter (based on previous pre-pandemic winter visits).

Likely for weather reasons.

With all the snow we received this year, they have probably done little to no maintenance down there. Unlike the rest of the Zoo, there is not much place to put the snow down there and it is not like they can easily drive a fully loaded dump truck up that hill.

Likely for weather reasons.

With all the snow we received this year, they have probably done little to no maintenance down there. Unlike the rest of the Zoo, there is not much place to put the snow down there and it is not like they can easily drive a fully loaded dump truck up that hill.
I'll reveal myself as having been the friend mentioned above.

I'm not sure it would have been snow that would have closed the Canadian Domain; certainly the road/path section we could see beyond the barricade was totally cleared. Zoo administration just would not allow an area to be inaccessible should there be a veterinary emergency down there, and in fact they probably have to drive food down there on a daily basis. There'd be another reason, maybe that there is only one way in and the same way out of it; the zoo had certain areas one-way-only at the moment for social distancing purposes.

Shaking off the water after a dip:

IMG_0773.jpg

Last edited:
The Star has an article on the redevelopment plans. Not too many surprises given the look at the plan we've had; ......

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...-adults-to-hang-with-their-party-animals.html (behind the paywall at time of posting)

But one thing did catch my eye that I must have missed in my initial reading the plan:

"In addition to the overhead tubing for animal travel — which has become popular at zoos in the U.S. — the Toronto zoo hopes to install more elevated platforms throughout the zoo, in order to offer patrons a bird-eye-view of some enclosures, and the opportunity to get eye-to-eye with animals in treetops or travelling through the tubes. There are also plans for a gondola."

Back