Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I find it amusing how casually he dismisses the fact that everything is two years behind schedule. Really?

The delays add substantially to the cost... and it's just unfortunate that delays (counted in years, no less) have become the new standard, and everybody is ok with that... or resigned to that at least.

Hah! Oh, Hume. Well, NPS definitely looked like a mess from my crashpad this weekend...

CVt3I.jpg

Last edited:
The removal of the Peace Garden alone makes this reno worth it for me.

I was there the day Trudeau turned the sod for it, and when the Queen officially opened it later that year. I didn't like it then.

I'm not sure if I like the permanent stage taking over another area of the square.

I'm hoping the no-man's-land between the square and Osgoode Hall turns out nice.

AFAIK that's where the Peace Garden is going.

Yes, but what I like is that the "outer ring" of the square (outside the elevated walkway) appears to have a cohesiveness it never had, and much more useable and inviting. It's a simple case of consistent paving and landscaping. People tend to just naturally like grass, but it was so impractical at NPS. I'm worried that the Bay street frontage is still going to be a no-go zone.

The busy parking lot entrance really screws up the Bay Street side, but it can definitely be improved upon.

Is it architectural sacrilege to say that the walkways above on the east and south should be removed? because they should be.

I was walking down Bay St past NPS last night and was thinking the same thing. They just look like absolute crap. Period. Full stop.

Back