Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Funny, I took the same photos from those angles yesterday but never got around to posting them.

The ramp you see there will be a set of green steps leading up to the walkways and the new stage. It'll be a nice place to sit down facing Osgoode Hall. The opposite side will provide for a space to sit and watch the bustling square.

peacegarden.jpg

I saw the new steps behind the under-construction stage and it looks very different from what I had pictured. I thought the steps would be a solid structure, like the stage in Dundas Square but they are more like bleachers, with a big, empty space blow. They only attach to the Nathan Philips Square over-head walkways by a small, narrow walkway. Does anyone know what the area below the bleachers/steps and area around it, will be used for? It looks like it could be used as a large planter for trees or maybe a water area/fountain? I'm not sure if it's just a walkway or enclosed by cement sides but it is an interesting/strange structure. It will be a great place for a Tam-Tam jam, like they have in Montreal. Break out the bongos. (Maybe Toronto's version of the "Spanish Steps"?)

I saw the new steps behind the under-construction stage and it looks very different from what I had pictured. I thought the steps would be a solid structure, like the stage in Dundas Square but they are more like bleachers, with a big, empty space blow. They only attach to the Nathan Philips Square over-head walkways by a small, narrow walkway. Does anyone know what the area below the bleachers/steps and area around it, will be used for? It looks like it could be used as a large planter for trees or maybe a water area/fountain? I'm not sure if it's just a walkway or enclosed by cement sides but it is an interesting/strange structure. It will be a great place for a Tam-Tam jam, like they have in Montreal. Break out the bongos. (Maybe Toronto's version of the "Spanish Steps"?)

You're looking at the wrong side. That's not the stage. What you're looking at is a part of the new Peace Garden. It will include water features and green steps leading up to the walkway.The stage will be built on the other side of the walkways, facing into the square. Right now, it's a hole in the ground as services are built into the garage space below. This will include a green room for performances and storage space for barricades, chairs and other moveable furniture.

You're looking at the wrong side. That's not the stage. What you're looking at is a part of the new Peace Garden. It will include water features and green steps leading up to the walkway.The stage will be built on the other side of the walkways, facing into the square. Right now, it's a hole in the ground as services are built into the garage space below. This will include a green room for performances and storage space for barricades, chairs and other moveable furniture.

Yes, I realize these are the steps and not the stage. (the stage is on the east side of the walkway, facing the square) I did not know this was part of the Peace Garden. I'm just curious why they left that empty space behind the steps and why whey put those 2 foot cement enclosed walls behind the steps? Will it have a water or garden feature to it? IF not, it would make no sense to build it this way. If it was just a pathway, you'd have to walk over that high ledge. (it makes no sense)

It's not a big issue but why would they not extend the whole top part of the steps, to the walkway? (instead of just that tiny strip) I think it makes more sense but maybe there is something I'm not seeing.

Last edited:
The area below the stairs appear to be vents connected to the underground garage so the walls are to keep debris from getting in them. I wouldn't be surprised if grilles are installed between the wall and the bottom of the stage to completely block access.

Actually, the underside of the steps probably would be a place homeless people would go. It's protected from rain and snow, it's away from the high traffic areas and it's dark. Seems like a good sleeping place to me but I'm sure the city realizes that and will find some way to put a barrier there.

The City now has a tender out to redo the pool and rink - to be completed by September 2012.

The City of Toronto is seeking and inviting qualified service-oriented General Contractors with experience in the reconstruction of a large scale Reflecting Pool / Ice Rink project that will involve removal and replacement of nearly all the components of the existing Reflecting Pool/Ice Rink at Nathan Phillips Square. The work will entail replacement of the concrete slab and refrigerant lines, refrigeration mechanical systems replacement, electrical system replacement, fountain systems replacement, various demolition work, and General Construction work including superior scheduling abilities, a documented history of providing high quality construction work in a 24/7 working environment, a high degree of engineering expertise and
experience in managing complex projects to apply to pre-qualify for the above noted upcoming project.

SUMMARY OF WORK

The following list of items is for reference only and shall not be considered to represent a complete list of all items required to do the Work:

• Removal and storage for reuse existing ammonia-calcium chloride brine refrigerant solution;
• Install new pool filtration system;
• Removal, disposal and replacement of concrete slab and embedded refrigerant lines;
• Removal, disposal and replacement of the refrigerant mechanical equipment and systems;
• Removal, disposal and replacement of associated electrical systems;
• Removal, disposal and replacement of associated fountain equipment and systems;
• Refurbish existing lighting and installation of new lighting systems; and
• Reconfiguration of mechanical room requiring structural modifications as required.

Maybe it's also time to replace those ugly fence barriers on the arches. It would be nice if they found a more attractive and creative way to stop people from climbing those arches.

Maybe it's also time to replace those ugly fence barriers on the arches. It would be nice if they found a more attractive and creative way to stop people from climbing those arches.

They could definitely be done more artistically -- and it would make a great addition.

Back