Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

Changing the tiles alone would make such a huge difference. They're vile. And those walkways are so pointless and wretched as well.

What's the deal with Winston Churchill's statue? Is it going to be moved?

That's great, Plant's scheme was the best.
*phew* what a relief!

I'm still a bit reticent about PLANT. What's with this kitchy "Canadian EH?" style of cottage country? Heavy use of wood and dense greenery is something we've seen before in another proposal for an important Toronto location: WEST8 for the Waterfront.

I wish the use of the western edge had been more creative in PLANT's proposal. Also, I'm concerned that the hotdog vendors will remain on Queen which is a shame.

One thing that may have gone unnoticed. That ugly overpass from the walkway to the Sheraton has been eliminated in this proposal.

I'm was thrilled to see the Plant scheme picked - it was my favourite as well.
To me, one of it's virtues was "do no harm". If, in another fifty years, the city decides to spruce up the square, at least it will all be there, intact and lovely.

The Queen St. overpass was removed in all schemes I believe.

Wowser... a new restaurant that will be dumbed down to a weekend-only snack bar within one year, some trees, and some Brown & Storey disappearing fountains (how did they do that?)... I'm breathless.

How the hell does it take $40 million dollars to do so little?

Plant effing rules
Robert%20Plant.jpg

I personally like the Baird Samson Neuert solution (with some tweaks). Plant was my 2nd choice, so I can't say I'm too disappointed, though none of the proposals blew me away.

I was hoping it would be a little more in keeping with the square than another stereotypically "Canadian" take.

That said, I'm looking forward to seeing it complete.

Wowser... a new restaurant that will be dumbed down to a weekend-only snack bar within one year, some trees, and some Brown & Storey disappearing fountains (how did they do that?)... I'm breathless.

Why would it be dumbed down?

There's more than enough people in the area throughout the week to sustain it. The square should become a renewed destination.

I can't wait to see the disgusting concrete skate rental building go.

That's worth a big yawn. Any makeover would improve the square, even a trading places style (24 hours, $1000, I'm thinking Boston). So this will spruce things up. But once the new rubs off in 10 years, there isn't going to be any significant improvement over what we have now.

Just curious if they found a way to allow trees to 'grow' through conrete yet. DT is littered with hundreds of dead or dying trees planted in cement with little or no space to allow for watering.

I like Plant's the best, so I'm happy about the decision. If nothing else the perimeter of greenery is inspired, IMHO. I do wish the concrete would be replaced with stone, however. In a minimalist design it should be about the quality of the finishes!

Back