Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins + Will

stjames2queenwest

Member Bio
Reaction score
At first I was like "ugh I dunno about that sign" and then I realized that it was in fact AMAZING. Other cities have iconic name signs. The font is good, the lights even better, and the idea of it appearing in different locations is a lot more fun than it being stationary in its placement. I think this was a good way to spend money (as well as the luminous veil)

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score

Great pics Alvin. I was there earlier and looking at it now, it's like the Peace Garden was always there. That's the perfect location for it, overlooking Osgoode Hall. A "Peace Garden" in the middle of a bustling square – as it was before – is such an oxymoron. It's perfect where it is now and it'll get even better as the tree canopy grows, creating a real space for contemplation.

I also noticed that the Peace Garden's amphitheatre seating facing the steps across from them, is set up in a way that can be used as a stage. I'd love to see theatre in the park style performances here. We'll likely see small live music performances.

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
It's great seeing Nathan Phillips Square thronged every day at the moment. Olympics please.

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 495

dt_toronto_geek

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Fantastic photos everyone! Access to the Peace Garden was fenced off the last time I was by, it looks just great! I do like the open space, it serves wonderfully for open-air events like the Jazz Festival, the market, World Pride, Pan Am and so much more. I was only lamenting last page about what was cut from the NPS budget. Really exciting here though, I'm heading down tomorrow, and to finally see Queen's Quay. Can't wait!

MetroMan

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wish I had a photo to go along with this comment...

Those who said that the elevated walkways were of no purpose and should be torn down: Boy were you wrong.

(Mental image: they're packed with multi layers of crowds watching the PANAMANIA concerts. It's amazing).

interchange42

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
The blue is the skirt of the raised accessible seating area. The whole area is pretty jammed with stages, etc., to the point that Nathan Phillips Square seems much smaller than usual, so who knows if there could have been another place for the raised seating that wouldn't have placed it where it conflicted with the sign… but standing clear is something to hope for with future placements, yes.