Toronto Toronto City Hall and Nathan Phillips Square | ?m | ?s | City of Toronto | Perkins&Will

I was by there on Monday & there was fencing up around that ugly PanAm Welcome Centre and the new building near the Queen/Bay corner. Walking around, thinking what should have been while choking on food truck fumes, really depressed me.

Right now-ish:
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3,368
I think some people want a square to be green and treed, like a park or with a big friggin fountain. But in order to have stages and signs and tents and vendors, there needs to be open space like there is here. So not quite sure what "could have been" means when the square is currently able to support animated activities rather than just look green or be wet. The Toronto sign looks very European (i.e. loud and proud) in design with big letters letting people know what city they are visiting in case they got here by accident. We always thought that massive letters spelling TORONTO would look cool going up the side of the CN Tower, but sadly this never happened. Least our idea of putting off fireworks off the CN Tower has come true a few times in our short lifetimes :)

All you really need to animate a square is to have colourful lights and music to disorient people. I guess a big friggin fountain with colourful lights and music would do the trick too! But the reflecting pool and splash pads here do a decent job of bringing in the crowds.

So what really does, "what could have been," mean?

Last edited:
I'd like to see the TORONTO letters become a semi-permanent feature on the roof of the canopy at Yonge-Dundas Square…

…but it would be great to see them appear here and there over the years, incorporated creatively into various events. Could they be installed atop the podium of the Lightbox during TIFF? Sure, or maybe on the roof of Roy Thomson Hall. Have them floating on a barge in the middle of the Harbour during the Redpath Waterfront Festival. Scatter them around the Distillery or Kensington Market as a draw to have visitors discover all their nooks and crannies. Line them up along the 401 at Pearson. Close the west sidewalk of the Grand Ave. bridge over the Gardiner so that they welcome drivers coming into town before they swing around Humber Bay. Affix them between the columns of Union Station (where the TO2015 banners are now) and make the lights go crazy during Nuit Blanche or Luminato. Place them on Polson Pier with the skyline behind them so people can make their own postcard views…

…and bring them back to Nathan Phillips Square for the biggest events there.

The possibilities are endless.

Some photos from today:

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

image007b.jpg

image008.jpg

image009.jpg

image010.jpg

image010b.jpg

image011.jpg

image012.jpg

image013.jpg

image014.jpg

image015.jpg

image016c.jpg

image016b.jpg

AoD

Attachments

• image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 899
  • image005.jpg
    image005.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 874
  • image006.jpg
    image006.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 877
  • image007b.jpg
    image007b.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 832
  • image008.jpg
    image008.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 813
  • image009.jpg
    image009.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 812
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 851
  • image010b.jpg
    image010b.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 851
  • image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 849
  • image012.jpg
    image012.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 824
  • image013.jpg
    image013.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 830
  • image014.jpg
    image014.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 816
  • image015.jpg
    image015.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 803
  • image016c.jpg
    image016c.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 830
  • image016b.jpg
    image016b.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 828
At first I was like "ugh I dunno about that sign" and then I realized that it was in fact AMAZING. Other cities have iconic name signs. The font is good, the lights even better, and the idea of it appearing in different locations is a lot more fun than it being stationary in its placement. I think this was a good way to spend money (as well as the luminous veil)

Great pics Alvin. I was there earlier and looking at it now, it's like the Peace Garden was always there. That's the perfect location for it, overlooking Osgoode Hall. A "Peace Garden" in the middle of a bustling square – as it was before – is such an oxymoron. It's perfect where it is now and it'll get even better as the tree canopy grows, creating a real space for contemplation.

I also noticed that the Peace Garden's amphitheatre seating facing the steps across from them, is set up in a way that can be used as a stage. I'd love to see theatre in the park style performances here. We'll likely see small live music performances.

Fantastic photos everyone! Access to the Peace Garden was fenced off the last time I was by, it looks just great! I do like the open space, it serves wonderfully for open-air events like the Jazz Festival, the market, World Pride, Pan Am and so much more. I was only lamenting last page about what was cut from the NPS budget. Really exciting here though, I'm heading down tomorrow, and to finally see Queen's Quay. Can't wait!

Back