Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

It's not so much the concept of precedent that bothers me; rather, I object to the fact that building height is the one and only aspect of an approved development that is allowed to govern future applications.

In Interchange's example, what does the word "similar" mean?

In the example of TIFF vs. M5V, I would argue that the following factors should have led the OMB to conclude that M5V shouldn't be able to rely on TIFF's precedent:

-south side of King
-mid-block
-not home to a major international cultural event*

*to my knowledge

Hmm. I'd have to do a lot on considering other examples before weighing in on how mid-block status should figure. Is it another way of saying that surrounding built context becomes more important mid-block than on a corner or full-block?

In regards to your other points, I am in full agreement, and did not intend any intimation that similarity should be restricted to height only in regards to these developments, nor want to place any value judgment whatsoever on this particular application. I am merely trying to establish that every decision we take is weighed against preceding ones (precedents). Even when we set a new precedent, we consult the old, and (in theory) thoroughly examine why we might want to break with the past for this new decision.

There is a meeting tonight about this proposal. The letter from Vaughan's office:

Councillor Adam Vaughan invites you to a community meeting:
Proposed Development at 224 King St W

Date: Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Time: 6:30 – 8:00 PM

Councillor Vaughan would like to hear your feedback about the proposed redevelopment of this site with the construction of a residential condominium tower.

This site is currently a parking lot located immediately east of the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

Please let us know if you plan to attend, at 416-392-4044 or councillor_vaughan@toronto.ca.

Best regards,

Councillor Adam Vaughan
Ward 20, Trinity-Spadina
416-392-4044
www.adamvaughan.ca

I was at the meeting tonight. The idea (by Clewes, in early stages) is for the front half of the lot to be made into a public square with the back half occupied by a thin 40-ish storey condo.

Though smack in the middle of a historic midrise block, I generally liked the proposal as it:

- Preserves the street wall height along King by not infringing upon it
- Provides a public realm benefit right next to the elegant Royal Alex theatre
- Mitigates the impact of height by making the building thin and light-feeling

Sorry, no pics or anything.

Well that's certainly a drastic change from a fifty storey tower built right up to King Street.

Drag.

November 4 2008 update

I was in the area and thought I would snap a few shots to show the streetscape relationship of this site (middle picture) in context to Royal Alexandra Theatre to the west and buildings to the east :)

Excellent! Just as I thought, the tower was pushed back to preserve, somewhat, the midrise nature of that block.

I was hoping for a podium to complete the streetwall there, but a park is better than having a 50-storey tower abutting a very handsome block.

I saw that the sale of this property to Brad Lamb has gone through ($10.6 million). I'm suprised he's still buying land!

Some additional details - although all of this is preliminary and subject to change:

• Small floor plate (about 5000 sq ft);
  • Set back from King Street to create a publicly-accessible park in the front of the building that would showcase the pavilion building of the Royal Alexandra Theatre;
  • Possible restaurant or retail uses at grade
  • Development proponent is looking for potential institutional partnership in the building

Actually, with a restaurant at grade, that publicly accessible land in front just became more attractive. Imagine, a nice treed area with a patio set at the base of the building looking out onto King St. It'd be a nice mini oasis that would be enjoyed by people beyond the condo residents.

... yes, a bit like the existing outdoor patio at Roy Thomson Hall. That part of King Street - with all the pedestrian traffic, the greenery in the summer, the cabs and cars streaming past, is a delight.

3276657697_0d29d3b400.jpg
3277478340_e7e44406be.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I like that render.

I feel like I just read somewhere that this will be called Theatre Park Condos and that it will be 45 stories tall.

Back