Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

I wonder if the living wall will feature suitably theatrical plantings - maybe in the form of a great velvety red curtain of foliage?

Posted Toronto: 'The sky isn't falling'

The change will continue, following a short gap. When the dust settles from the current recession, Lamb says a new condo boom in the Entertainment District will crank up again.

Within the box defined by University, Queen, Spadina and Front, according to Councillor Adam Vaughan’s website, 11 high-rises of at least 35 storeys are at various stages, from proposal to construction — 
including Lamb’s own 45-
storey development next to the Royal Alexandra Theatre, tentatively called Theatre Park. Another 20 or so buildings of at least seven storeys are also glints in some developers’ eyes.

I believe that Lamb Development and Niche Development are partnering on this project. Lamb purchased the land already, the company name being "224 King West Inc". The lot size has 60 foot frontage, 185 foot depth.

Didn't see this info posted but I might have missed it.
OPA / Rezoning

Zoning amendment application to permit a new 45 storey mixed-use building comprised of 200 residential dwelling units, 644m2 of commercial space and 100 parking spaces including 4 car share spaces.

Application Number: 09 104390 STE 20 OZ
Application Status: Application Submitted
Planner: Macdonald, Lynda
(416) 392-7618

Date Received: Jan 22, 2009

Proposed Non-Residential GFA (sq m) 643

Proposed Residential GFA (sq m) 20116

Lot Size (sq m) 1029

Proposed Residential Units 200

Proposed Storeys 45

Some additional details - although all of this is preliminary and subject to change:

• Small floor plate (about 5000 sq ft);
  • Set back from King Street to create a publicly-accessible park in the front of the building that would showcase the pavilion building of the Royal Alexandra Theatre;
  • Possible restaurant or retail uses at grade
  • Development proponent is looking for potential institutional partnership in the building

From this and the above information, I guess the building's floorplate could range from 60' x 85' to 50' x 100' since the lot is deep enough and they want the large setback.

With only 200 units in 40ish storeys, that's about 5 units per level possibly ranging from 1 - 3 bedroom suites of 600 - 1500 SF.
Should make for some nice corner units !

I like the design as well. I am curious as to why it is set back so far from the street?
Probably because a 45 storey tower plonked down next to mid-rise historic buildings would be rejected by the city pretty quickly. Better to violate Pearl St., which is little more than a glorified back alley, than King St. at the important theatre district.

Agreed, and the Royal Alex is probably my favourite single building in Toronto, for soooo many reasons.

Any latest news on this project

Is there any latest news on 224 King street west project. Is this project approved by city, when the sales will start, etc.

Thanks

I've got a question for those who are claiming to be pro-height yet are arguing that this area is not suited for highrise development. Just where exactly do you think highrises are appropriate in this city?

The CBD is largely surrounded by mid-rise neighbourhoods, as is typically the case in any city. If we're not going to build highrises adjacent to the central core, where else could they possibly go that wouldn't similarly violate neighbourhood scale?

Yonge and Bloor is largely hemmed in by the university and Yorkville, so we're not going to see any significant growth there. There are a handful of lots along Bay St. that are being filled in as we speak. The core is already bound by Nathan Phillips Square on the north, and various low-rise neighbourhoods to the east. There are only a small handful of lots remaining to the south. Going west is the only thing that makes sense, especially considering that the area is already speckled with very tall developments.

If this city is going to keep growing, we need to go up, not out. Give it a couple of decades and we'll pretty much be out of empty lots downtown. Then we'll be wishing we had built higher in the first place instead of having to knock things down.

Last edited:

Back