Toronto Theatre Park | 156.96m | 47s | Lamb Dev Corp | a—A

It seems this is becoming a disagreement regarding context.

If you look at Theatre Park on this singular block of King, sure, one can argue that it looks out of context. The other buildings are not 45 stories tall.

But when you take view of Theatre Park in terms of the neighbourhood, it looks like it fits right in to me. This particular development also seems to adhere to the city planning department's own tapering policy (noted by another poster).

The existence of the tapering policy demonstrates that the city does look at planning in a larger context. Yet the issue with this development seems to be that it doesn't fit in with this particular block. This is something that I haven't understood about modern planning methods. How do we reconcile these two issues? Which one is more important?

Last edited:
4 April 2010:

dsc02039x.jpg

What's the fuss about again? Oh right.... Why not have entire site a solid 15 story "slab" tower, and symbolically use the neighbouring old buildings as the "podium?" U-Av highrises are really close by here.

First OMB Order

MEMORANDUM OF ORAL DECISION DELIVERED BY D. R. GRANGER ON APRIL 22, 2010 AND ORDER OF THE BOARD

This is the first Pre-hearing Conference regarding the appeal by 224 King West Inc. (Applicant) from the refusal of the Council of the City of Toronto (City) to enact an amendment to By-law 438-86, as amended, (By-law) to permit the development of a 45 storey mixed-use building (Proposal) at 224 King Street West between Simcoe Street and Ed Mirvish Way and backing onto Pearl Street to the north (Subject Property). The Subject lands are designated Regeneration Areas in the applicable City Official Plan (OP)/King-Spadina Secondary Plan and zoned Reinvestment Area in the By-law. The By-law Amendment is necessary for the increase in height and other specific development standards, including parking and loading, to be applied. A Site Plan application has been filed with the City and referred to the Board. Without objection, the Board consolidates the Site Plan referral with the By-law Amendment appeal. Without objection, the Board recognizes the above listed Parties and Participants as the Parties and Participants to the hearing. Creative Restaurants Consultants Limited (220 King), owner of 220 King Street West abutting the subject property to the east, and 214 King Holdings Limited (214 King), owner of 214 King Street West abutting 220 King to the further east, are opposed to the Proposal. They are concerned with the potential prejudicing of the future redevelopment of its properties. The Toronto Entertainment District Business Improvement Area (TEDBIA) is opposed to the Proposal based on the development review undertaken by the City. K. Crescenzi and B. Powell are residents of an existing condominium apartment building located at 71 Simcoe Street. Their concerns include the impact of the Proposal on the historical aspects of the area. Ed Mirvish Enterprises Limited (Royal Alexandra), owner of the Royal Alexandra Theatre abutting to the west of the Subject Property, is in support of the Proposal. The Parties have agreed to a Draft Procedural Order presented as Exhibit No. 2 as it relates to the commencement and length of the hearing as well as dates for the exchange of and response to the evidence to be relied upon at the hearing. The hearing of the appeal will commence on Tuesday, October 12, 2010, at 10:00 a.m. at the Ontario Municipal Board, 655 Bay Street, 16th Floor Hearing Room, Toronto, Ontario. Up to four (4) weeks have been scheduled. No further notice is required. A final Procedural Order will issue separately. Counsel for the Applicants will consolidate and circulate a final Procedural Order on or before May 7, 2010. All Parties will endeavour to resolve the final Procedural Order, including final issues regarding the By-law appeal and preliminary issues regarding the Site Plan referral by consensus. The Parties acknowledge that the final issues regarding the Site Plan referral will be added to the Procedural Order as an addendum by an appropriate date to be agreed between the Parties. If difficulties arise, the Board may be spoken to and a telephone conference call may be scheduled if necessary. This Board Member will continue with the management of these appeals up to but not necessarily including the hearing. The Board strongly encourages the efforts of the Parties and Participants to maintain open communications towards the further focusing and/or settlement of the issues in dispute. The Board will consider providing alternative dispute resolution in the form of mediation at the formal request of the Parties. The Board so Orders. “D. R. Granger”D. R.

Thank you for posting that Slocro - it may be the first posting of an OMB First Order on UrbanToronto, and it's definitely another piece to the puzzle which will make this thread a better history of the proposal. Looking forward to seeing these on more threads!

Just noticed a new large billboard announcing the 47 story condo to be built on the site when I walked by today.

Last edited:
and that's a new billboard?

this would be very good news......

Last edited:
The hearing of the appeal will commence on Tuesday, October 12, 2010, at 10:00 a.m. at the Ontario Municipal Board, 655 Bay Street, 16th Floor Hearing Room, Toronto, Ontario. Up to four (4) weeks have been scheduled. No further notice is required. A final Procedural Order will issue separately.

Just noticed a new large billboard announcing the 45 story condo to be built on the site when I walked by today.

So am I to gather that the OMB appeal was successful, and that this project is now clear to go ahead?

I love the design of this project and I hope it was approved. I find it odd that the city thinks that this building it is too tall for that location, yet one block south they approved the 53 s Ritz-Carleton development. Does anyone have any news regarding the results of the OMB hearing?

From Brad Lamb his fall report. Releasing fall 2010: Theatre Park. 47 storey modern tower housing 240 units. Suites from 400 sq. ft. to 3300 priced from $299,900 to over $3 million. So $750/sq.ft. to $1000/sq. ft.

Great location no doubt. Prices quite steep.

On the site now:

TheatreParkLot.jpg

TheatreParkSign.jpg

On the website now:

TheatreParkMap.jpg

Renderings and floorplans will be released on November 10th.

http://.www.theatrepark.ca

I know it's the wrong thread, but you can clearly see BAC east tower on this map. looks about 15 floors shorter than the west tower.

I'm surprised 47 storeys got approved here. A live theatre venue, perhaps a mid-sized 1500 seater, would have been great to help move this area towards being a real theatre district, then condos on top.

Back