Toronto The Whitfield | 130m | 39s | Menkes | Giannone Petricone

This part of the city has a surplus of gas stations relative to the percentage of the population who owns a car.

I'd guess most of the clients are people coming from the DVP as opposed to locals.

Yes, it is about it being a gas station. This part of the city has a surplus of gas stations relative to the percentage of the population who owns a car. The land would be better used as a mixed-use building.

There are only two gas stations in the area and while there may be fewer cars per persons there are a lot more persons per square kilometre. Are you that sure about the number of cars in the neighbourhood? Regardless, it's an odd perspective to have considering the current built up downtown is not sustainable as a gated, self contained community. Employment is at least several times the total population. I agree it's not the best use but, I don't find one or two underdeveloped property providing a wanted service wasteful either.

Note: I don't own a car by choice and rent cars more and more infrequently. I just see our city for how it is and that most of the remaining gas stations in the downtown area are strategically positioned to survive this crazy real estate boom.

I've been driving and living downtown for 4 years now and have yet to use a single downtown gas station. These stations sell gas for much more than stations slightly outside of downtown, and at a massive premium compared to suburban stations. For commuters, its a no brainer. Fill up at home.

The lack of demand for these stations can be seen at all times of day. They are never busy. I think they are mostly there for the occasional fuel emergency where people forget to fill up and have no choice but to fill up downtown. The lack of demand is also likely why so many downtown stations close at 10pm or 12am.

33 SHERBOURNE ST
Ward 13 - Tor & E.York District

All properties: 178 FRONT ST E, 33 SHERBOURNE ST

Zoning By-law Amendment to permit development of the Site with a 37-storey mixed use tower atop a 2 storey podium with a total building height of 126.4m (including mechanical penthouse). A total of 439 residential units are proposed (GFA 30,617m2) and retail/commercial on the ground and second floor podium. A total of 91 vehicle parking spaces will be provided in 3 levels of below grade parking.

Looks like it's the Esso gas station at the intersection of Sherbourne & Front along with the building with Tim Horton's:

Plus, I think, the low brick building (the Music Practice Hub) to the east.
Rehearsal Factory. But close enough

Reactions: DSC
^ Menkes bought that in Nov 2018

The density at this intersection is increasing so incredibly rapidly -- three major projects going up at nearly the same time.

This will be a few years before starting at least.

The height is interesting to me - this is almost entertainment district type heights. Densities have really shot up in applications in the east end over the last few years - but I guess the DRL will do that.

A dinky 2-storey podium would be completely out of context in a streetwall neighbourhood like this. Hmm.

Back