Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I don't think I've seen this rendering anywhere; not sure if it's been posted before:

wI1pRNn.jpg

from http://www.hariripontarini.com/

Looks like they were courting Nordstrom (pre Eaton Centre) - the illuminated sign in the photo very CLEARLY says Nordstrom.

the first one is the only one that is sort of a "real" grass median. The second one is the reserved space for the Wellington Linear Park (to be built as a part of this development), third is park space, and fourth is on U of T and adds to the "campus" feel of the place.

the first one is the only one that is sort of a "real" grass median. The second one is the reserved space for the Wellington Linear Park (to be built as a part of this development) (you can add some plants along the grass, it doesn't change the fact it's grass beside a sidewalk), third is park space (I specifically said that is not a sidewalk grass, still we got another example of simply grass beside a sidewalk with some public art on it), and fourth is on U of T and adds to the "campus" feel of the place (the only thing it adds it's a suburban feeling, especially when you're less than 100 feet from Bay street).

And all of them suck in the same way, imho. I would get rid of all this remains of a provincial past and replace it with bricks.

Last edited:
I actually think the Wellington one deserves a pass, it is a different street layout that needs the grass median and should be done well after this development. The rest do suck.

Putting a patch of grass along a sidewalk is always a bad idea. It's a complete waste of space and it's almost always left in bad shape. It doesn't even look good, so why does this city continue doing it.

What a great development. It looks like the central pedestrian spine reaches Spadina through the office building as the lobby. I think it would be stronger if it that connection were an outdoor street like the rest of the spine, even if it were covered, without any doors. The way it's proposed there's not much of a visual connection between the pedestrian street system and Spadina. Something like an extension of the outdoor spine between the office building and the heritage warehouse would really open it up to the city. Or tweaking the office building connection to be more open, kind of like the Emanuele Galleria in Milan.

You can really see the influence of that galleria by the way, which I understand the Eaton Centre was influenced by as well. This has the potential to be as significant to Toronto as the Eaton Centre.

This development will be the nicest thing around for many blocks. There isn't much good design in that area.

There are quite a number of well designed buildings to the north. 500 Wellington West, is just one example.

What a great development. It looks like the central pedestrian spine reaches Spadina through the office building as the lobby. I think it would be stronger if it that connection were an outdoor street like the rest of the spine, even if it were covered, without any doors. The way it's proposed there's not much of a visual connection between the pedestrian street system and Spadina. Something like an extension of the outdoor spine between the office building and the heritage warehouse would really open it up to the city. Or tweaking the office building connection to be more open, kind of like the Emanuele Galleria in Milan.

You can really see the influence of that galleria by the way, which I understand the Eaton Centre was influenced by as well. This has the potential to be as significant to Toronto as the Eaton Centre.

I agree, but I wonder if having an opening like that might create a wind tunnel effect. Part of what seems interesting about covered sidewalks is that they'll provide "outdoor" space in the winter.

And all of them suck in the same way, imho. I would get rid of all this remains of a provincial past and replace it with bricks.

In this instance, Wellington Street at this location is intended as part of a "linear park" running between Clarence Square and Victoria Memorial Square, so the grass, plantings and trees should be retained to create that environment.

The rail yard for the western approach to Union Station beside the model makes me wonder
about noise levels when they are shifting trains from tracks and the coming and going
of trains (low pulsing sound from the diesel engines) verse City Centre airport noise.
I wonder what is louder.

The rail yard for the western approach to Union Station beside the model makes me wonder
about noise levels when they are shifting trains from tracks and the coming and going
of trains (low pulsing sound from the diesel engines) verse City Centre airport noise.
I wonder what is louder.

I have a condo on the 8th Floor of Luna, facing the tracks. Its loud when I have the balcony doors open, but I barely notice it with the doors closed unless it's silent in the place. With the doors open, its a whole different story.

I remember writing an exam in the convention centre (Ryerson, fun), and every couple minutes a deep rumble would go through the hall as a train went by.

By the time this development is done the GO network will be well on its way to being electrified though, so it won't be too bad.

Back