Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

I don't dispute the fact that Whole Foods was mentioned three times by David Pontarini, but he's the architect making plans for an upscale food retailer on the site, and not the developer declaring who may or may not have signed for the space yet. I'm sure RioCan will be looking at Whole Foods, but the developers did not name any particular retailers as signed tenants yet.

And yes, as I elaborated, the office tower is a complete redesign. There are lots of changes in fact, and they are now live in the dataBase file, linked at the top of the page. Front page story with more detail coming tomorrow.

And yes, as I elaborated, the office tower is a complete redesign. There are lots of changes in fact, and they are now live in the dataBase file, linked at the top of the page. Front page story with more detail coming tomorrow.

Wow, I know it's a Pontarini but that office tower looks very Richard Rogers to me.

Wow, I know it's a Pontarini but that office tower looks very Richard Rogers to me.

Indeed. Thanks for the new info from i42 - this bit caught my eyes in particular:

What was said by the developer was that in order to address shadowing concerns on Clarence Square they had to move the elevators for the building out of the typical central location in the tower to a spot further away from it.

Are the elevators core situated at the ends of the building instead of the core? This would be along the lines of the most interesting Foster and Rogers projects for sure. The X-bracing at the northern facade is certainly suggestive of interesting structural moves. Gawd, just had a look at the new renderings instead of the models alone - the tower is pure sex.

AoD

Last edited:
That would be a great location for a GO station. Also I like the design. Looks way better than your typical GO station.

That would be a great location for a GO station. Also I like the design. Looks way better than your typical GO station.

I don't think they mean its a GO Station... I think its the anticipated Spadina Smart Track stop.

The skews on the three towers seem just a bit too random, I do really like their shapes though. It's hard to tell what the office looks like from the model but it seems like it has some nice massing.

I can't believe something like this is being built here. You would expect to see this somewhere in Amsterdam.

Personally I find this project far, far more exciting than The One.

AoD

This project, the Mirvish towers, The One and Honest Ed's feel like a glimpse into Toronto's future. Hopefully they all come to fruition and inspire many similar developments.

That's not really fair, though. The One is just a tower whereas the Well is a mini neighbourhood.

Of course it isn't fair - I just find this project far more catalytic and worthy of attention. Now if only Concord could pay attention and rethink their so called "Signature".

AoD

Back