Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Maybe @Northern Light can chime in, but given there's a fair amount of protection from the elements (except extreme cold)... I think it would be fun to have some tropicals (hardy palms etc.) here ... some tropical whimsy to counter the winter blahs.... still sorta outside rather than encased in a suburban mall.

In the particular, the terracotta-clad podium would be a stunning backdrop for stuff like Dwarf Palmettos which can survive extreme below zero temps and there's a couple of taller species that can survive below zero temps. 🌴

*Obviously the size of soil volumes needed would come into play with larger species.

First, let me say, palm trees are well outside of any expertise in trees I may have.

That said, I had a glance through the resources at my finger tips.

It's tough to say, I don''t know what modelled conditions for 'The Well' showed. Absent doors though, I imagine the interior condition would not be much warmer than the surrounding air. Modern lighting gives off very little heat. There's also the question of windchill.

Of larger Palm Species Windmill Palm is among the hardiest, but it's only tolerant to about -15C safely ( might handle -20C briefly) .

Given where our overnight lows can go in January/February, the recommendation would probably be to wrap the tree in burlap through the winter.

It's worth saying, as well, getting a Palm to survive a Toronto winter is plausible, but getting it to retain its leaves through winter is a different matter.

* a further challenge is that younger Palms are less hardy

Not sure you'd get what you're hoping for w/that idea.

You can introduce a fair bit of colour w/native trees/shrubs/grasses. Conifers (evergreen) ; Red Osier Dogwood, Beech Trees which hold their golden fall foliage for much of winter, Birch/Aspen for bright, white/silver bark, some bushes that retain their fruit through much of winter, Christmas Ferns etc.

Last edited:
Palm trees, even if they can survive our brass monkey temperatures, will not make our winter climates feel any warmer. Just saying. >.<

One thing I miss about '80s and '90s malls is all the plants, they used to be so verdant. As noted this environment wouldn't be well suited for tropicals, but plants with four season interest would've certainly spruced things up. Don't get me wrong, this space is one of the better recent ones and it's still early days, but it is a bit stark despite the higher quality architecture.

I still shake my head over how for decades everyone was just like “noooo, put people FAR from things so they’ll need a car” then lost to the convenience of the internet and are only now having realizations.

I still shake my head over how for decades everyone was just like “noooo, put people FAR from things so they’ll need a car” then lost to the convenience of the internet and are only now having realizations.

I think that one person being interviewed hit the nail on the head. I hate shopping online because it's a crapshoot whether you get what you were hoping for. Most people go "eh" and just keep the items instead of returning them.

I like to feel and see what I'm buying much of the time. I think online shopping is here to stay, and will grow, but I think the massive failure of in person shopping is largely the result of big box stores being shit to shop at. The experience is dismal and sad and everything sold is crap. No wonder people want to buy that garbage online.

One thing I miss about '80s and '90s malls is all the plants, they used to be so verdant. As noted this environment wouldn't be well suited for tropicals, but plants with four season interest would've certainly spruced things up. Don't get me wrong, this space is one of the better recent ones and it's still early days, but it is a bit stark despite the higher quality architecture.
I could swear Sherway had a couple of palm trees inside when I was a kid...

Yes, we need to bring this back! More freely available greenery in February would help with our collective mental health I think.

can you bring dogs into the well?
From the well toronto official site
1703346533489.png

Back