Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Friday, April 13. Four photos - first looking west along the Wellington Street frontage - much more excavation, and the second row down of the shoring tie-backs has made further progress. The second photo is from the south-east corner of the 401 Wellington building, looking south. More preparations for the start of actual construction of the office tower basement areas, and installation of the first crane. A mobile generator to power the crane has now been set up by the crane base. One interesting note - for the first time, a GFL owned / branded dump truck is working - it is staying within the site, trucking rock debris from the lowest level up to one of the intermediary levels to stabilize the ground for all the equipment and trucks.

The third photo is of the office tower excavation area, looking north. The Aggreko mobile generator clearly visible.

The fourth photo is a general view looking north west from the corner of Spadina and Front streets - the overall extent of progress in the excavation. The site has four working levels - the grade level, in the area of the gate at the south west corner of the site, the lowest excavated basement level, towards the east end of the site, including under where the office tower is to be, along with two working levels of excavation in between.

wl-a.jpg

well-aa.jpg

wl-b.jpg

wl-c.jpg

Attachments

• wl-a.jpg
    wl-a.jpg
    376 KB · Views: 435
  • well-aa.jpg
    well-aa.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 462
  • wl-b.jpg
    wl-b.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 425
  • wl-c.jpg
    wl-c.jpg
    290.7 KB · Views: 443
I appreciate the detailed updates. This is very likely my favorite development in the city - it has the potential to be at least.

I was having a look at the renderings in the database, and in the 4th picture it looks like the elevator bay is on the side of the building covered by a glass shroud. Is that what those are? Is that really the plan?

Airborne shaky-handheld camera view:

DSC07020.jpg

Attachments

• DSC07020.jpg
    DSC07020.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 414
From this angle, you can see how Front street has essentially become a causeway due to this excavation. It makes me think that it might make sense for the office building to include a knock-out panel for a below-grade connection to the future GO RER station.

I was having a look at the renderings in the database, and in the 4th picture it looks like the elevator bay is on the side of the building covered by a glass shroud. Is that what those are? Is that really the plan?

Fire escape I believe - it doesn’t block the glass elevator shaft.

From this angle, you can see how Front street has essentially become a causeway due to this excavation. It makes me think that it might make sense for the office building to include a knock-out panel for a below-grade connection to the future GO RER station.

There will be two locations for knockout panels.

AoD

Last edited:
Tuesday morning, April 17 - Mobile crane on site - possibly (hopefully) in preparation for erection of the first tower crane. Will try to get by the site in the early afternoon for a close up view.

well - crane prep.jpg

Attachments

• well - crane prep.jpg
    well - crane prep.jpg
    295.1 KB · Views: 462
Great updates! Wonder what the final crane count will be on this whole site? I imagine they will need at least 5 to cover the full area!

Great updates! Wonder what the final crane count will be on this whole site? I imagine they will need at least 5 to cover the full area!

I am thinking 7 if all the buildings were to be completed near the same time. But more likely your estimate due to the staggered timeline of all of the 7 towers/buildings on the site.
The entire underground is getting built at the same time though.

Back