Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

Pic taken Feb 23, 2018

Like all those excavators down there. Like a bunch of brontosauruses grazing.

the spit is still growing, but the material for that comes exclusively from Ports Toronto dredging in the harbour.

I believe the dredged material only goes underwater in the cells, then is capped by clay, then largely covered with clean fill. I don't think there's enough fill on site to do this continued capping so I think they'll still be trucking in fill for some time. Not sure its source though. Pulverized construction waste like concrete/brick? Aggregate? Sand? It's gotta be coming from somewhere.

Thursday:
IMG_9642.JPG
IMG_9642_1.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9642.JPG
    IMG_9642.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_9642_1.JPG
    IMG_9642_1.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 422
thanks. Really makes you realize the scale of the site. They may have excavated a huge area in just a few weeks, but they have hardly made a dent on the total excavation.

Makes sense. The Well does have a large staging area close to Lake Shore and the Gardiner. I see them used in downtown Calgary and Edmonton which is why I brought it up.

Eight excavators still on site this morning, four of which were busy loading dump trucks - including one in the hole on the east side, which was working away on the pile of broken up rock that had been built up. One excavator, fitted with a drill type bit, was breaking up some large pieces of rock or concrete block at the west end of the site.

One interesting development - there is a rock drill now on site, the type which one typically sees on highway projects, where holes are being drilled into roadside rock formations to insert explosives. No explosion blanket covers are visible. My presumption is that the rock drill is just being used to help break the structural integrity of the shale, so it can be excavated more easily - even small controlled explosions would result in vibration damage to nearby structures and underground utility services. Here is a photo of the rock drill taken this morning.

The Well 2018-03-12.jpg

Attachments

• The Well 2018-03-12.jpg
    The Well 2018-03-12.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 328
Is everything being constructed together, condo, commercial, retail or in phases? Would love to see this done without pauses.

The retail podium and offices are what are getting built right now from my understanding, but if sales are successful (which i am almost certain they will be), I believe the residential buildings are scheduled to go up immediately as well. If unit uptake is slow for whatever reason, construction staging may slow as well.

Back