Toronto The Well | 174.03m | 46s | RioCan | Hariri Pontarini

And the most ironic thing? All the vehicles on that segment of road space doesn't even - in all likelihood, represent more than 100 people. One streetcar on Spadina.

AoD
Speaking of Spadina streetcars, those will be replaced with buses soon as they upgrade the tracks and overhead wires. Of course the upgrades are necessary, so road and transit users have to put up with the inconvenience. But could they expedite it to minimize the inconvenience? Can they even get it done on time? I have slightly more confidence in TTC (NOT Metrolinx) projects than in municipal road upgrading projects, but honestly, given the number of people working on these upgrades, you'd think that they're deliberately designed for maximum and most prolonged inconvenience.

Speaking of Spadina streetcars, those will be replaced with buses soon as they upgrade the tracks and overhead wires. Of course the upgrades are necessary, so road and transit users have to put up with the inconvenience. But could they expedite it to minimize the inconvenience? Can they even get it done on time? I have slightly more confidence in TTC (NOT Metrolinx) projects than in municipal road upgrading projects, but honestly, given the number of people working on these upgrades, you'd think that they're deliberately designed for maximum and most prolonged inconvenience.

Sadly confidence is not a term I typically apply to the TTC - or the contractors as it relates to the public sector at all.

AoD

Just a few from this aft -
IMG_3064_VSCO.jpeg

IMG_3063_VSCO.jpeg

Finally checked out the Food Hall. Pretty underwhelmed. I appreciated the variety of vendors, but the design lacked cohesion, and felt like any other food court. And dear god, please lose the DJ! I love loud music as much as the next person, but not at that volume while eating in a food court!
We ended up going to The Dorset instead. Great food and service, although a tad pricey.

I believe the work is primarily focused on the Spadina station loop portion. Assuming that is the case, I really don't understand why the buses wouldn't run along the vacant streetcar tracks - especially given the state of traffic south of Queen. There must be a good reason for choosing to run them in mixed traffic, as it is monumentally less efficient.
Finally checked out the Food Hall. Pretty underwhelmed. I appreciated the variety of vendors, but the design lacked cohesion, and felt like any other food court. And dear god, please lose the DJ! I love loud music as much as the next person, but not at that volume while eating in a food court!
We ended up going to The Dorset instead. Great food and service, although a tad pricey.
The Dorset, and all the other new places on Wellington (Bridgette, Lulu, and La Plume) have half-priced drinks during happy hour.

I am not sure the foot traffic in the area can support a food court of this size and with all these slightly pricier options. This scale and collection of venders seems more suited to crowds that would exist at Eaton Centre or Union Station, not in this relatively quite area. I hope that I am wrong because I like the ambition.

I am not sure the foot traffic in the area can support a food court of this size and with all these slightly pricier options. This scale and collection of venders seems more suited to crowds that would exist at Eaton Centre or Union Station, not in this relatively quite area. I hope that I am wrong because I like the ambition.
i can say for a fact that even wednesday nights or weekday afternoons its busy enough

There is a large built in population of residents/office workers that, at a bare minimum, provide customers. As well there are high density neighbourhoods surrounding this food hall that, I believe, are under served with retail.

I believe the work is primarily focused on the Spadina station loop portion. Assuming that is the case, I really don't understand why the buses wouldn't run along the vacant streetcar tracks - especially given the state of traffic south of Queen. There must be a good reason for choosing to run them in mixed traffic, as it is monumentally less efficient.

The Dorset, and all the other new places on Wellington (Bridgette, Lulu, and La Plume) have half-priced drinks during happy hour.
I read something about upgrading the overhead wires, which will prevent buses from running on the vacant tracks. That's what's been happening on St Clair as well. Traffic on Spadina is going to be a nightmare!

They have:
- Fashion District residents from all those buildings coming from the Northside (e.g. King Toronto occupancy next year)
- CityPlace crew, all those building South side across the banana bridge with young people who don't know how to cook (e.g 2k plus units from Canada House etc.)
- King West residents corming from North East, all those buildings, the rental on Spidana, 8 Charlotte and the 55 Mercer etc. with all those residents
- The whole Fort York Liberty Village crowd from the East side which is a 15 min walk on Niagara/Wellington or 10 min from Fort York Bathurst

We'll see but so far super busy

The Food Hall tested out by Star staff:

A bunch of reporters ate lunch from several different places, you get a time in line, time to get food, and how did it taste with rating out of 5 for each spot. Also the price.

No one was really critical, though one rating was as low as 3.5/5.

Of everything they had, I think this read as the most tempting to me, based on look and description:

1718619276614.png

But the Samosas from Samosorie seem like decent value at $1.29 each and $6.50 for 1/2 a dozen, apparently no lines, but the reporter liked the meal and decent range of flavours, though the gimmicky coloured dough is something I'm still mulling over.

Last edited:

Back